Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 08:13 PM

83 posts, read 311,190 times

Advertisements

nice pic of the cowboy sign in Scottsdale.
years ago we would make our own signs on poster board and tape it to the cowboy sign. our friends would drive down Scottsdale road just to see what we put up.

when Ladmo died, we put one up that said "LADMO LIVES!!". it stayed up for 3 days and a pic ended up in the Scottsdale paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM

83 posts, read 311,190 times
does anyone have pics of the old inn that stood where Farell's was on Scottsdale road and thomas (now Fudruckers) my family used to own the inn until it burnt down in the late 40's i think.

i remember there was a newspaper pic of it covered in snow that my grandmother had, but no other pics sadly.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
does anyone have pics of the old inn that stood where Farell's was on Scottsdale road and thomas (now Fudruckers) my family used to own the inn until it burnt down in the late 40's i think.

i remember there was a newspaper pic of it covered in snow that my grandmother had, but no other pics sadly.
Here is Farrell's looking toward Valley Bank. Again I apologize for the watermark but people have used my photos for profit in the past.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-scottsdale-farrells.jpg

Old 07-14-2010, 12:56 PM

So long as we are in Scottsdale, here is Hobo Joe's. I remember when it was so popular you could not get in.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-scottsdale-shell.jpg

Old 07-14-2010, 01:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is Farrell's looking toward Valley Bank. Again I apologize for the watermark but people have used my photos for profit in the past.

Attachment 65346
That's Indian School, not Thomas. The original owner of that Farrell's was the dad of one of my neighborhood friends growing up in Arcadia, pre sixth grade. I'd lost touch with them when we moved out of the neighborhood, but years later, when I was in high school, (at Scottsdale High, just down the street) I was selling ads for the high school newspaper, and the owner saw my name on the phone message, called me back to let me know who he was, and bought a monthly ad.

Quote:
So long as we are in Scottsdale, here is Hobo Joe's. I remember when it was so popular you could not get in.

Attachment 65363
In a similar vein, went to later grade school with the son of the owner of Hobo Joe's. Great family.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:25 PM

283 posts, read 880,466 times
Had an interesting talk today with the son of the founder of Staggs Built Homes. He reminded me of their mascot Happy Homer and all the little bobblehead dolls they gave away as advertising. What blast from the past!
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-homer.jpg  

Old 07-14-2010, 03:59 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
Quote:

Attachment 65363
I may be wrong, but is that Hobo Joe's in the space that is now a Schlotzky's and was the original Scottsdale Goldwater's way back in the 50s?....on the NE corner of 1st Ave and Scotts Rd.?......I walk all over there all the time, but get the streets and avenues in downtown Scotts. mixed up....

by the way, did all hear that the Pink Pony ("the Pony") closed several months ago?....end of a legend.....

Old 07-14-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
I may be wrong, but is that Hobo Joe's in the space that is now a Schlotzky's and was the original Scottsdale Goldwater's way back in the 50s?....on the NE corner of 1st Ave and Scotts Rd.?......I walk all over there all the time, but get the streets and avenues in downtown Scotts. mixed up....
Here is the rest of the photo. Note street sign.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-scottsdale-shell.jpg

Old 07-14-2010, 06:08 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
Quote:
Here is the rest of the photo. Note street sign.
Attachment 65388
great shot, roosevelt....going to try to print it and stand at the very same spot in a couple days when I'm in the area....thanks a lot.....big change in the picture is the NE and NW corners of Ind. Sch. and Scotts. Rds.....those 2-3 story brick office buildings now there were built in the early 80s, the first "big" office buildings in downtown Scottsdale....

Old 07-14-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
great shot, roosevelt....going to try to print it and stand at the very same spot in a couple days when I'm in the area....thanks a lot.....big change in the picture is the NE and NW corners of Ind. Sch. and Scotts. Rds.....those 2-3 story brick office buildings now there were built in the early 80s, the first "big" office buildings in downtown Scottsdale....
I was trying to date the picture but I'm not very good with cars after the 50's. I see gas is 32 cents a gallon so I'm thinking about 1965. Note all the brick and wood shake roofs. Scottsdale for a brief time had a building code that all new buildings had to look western, at least in the downtown area.

Last edited by roosevelt; 07-14-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area