U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 PM

266 posts, read 308,277 times
Looking at the old tower pics reminds me of the last time I flew out of terminal one. Seriously, the LAST time.

I received orders to Germany, but was at the Grand Canyon at the time. We were able to get back to Phoenix in time, but my dad had to drive me (from West Phoenix) to Williams AFB to get said orders and then drive very fast (read: SPEED!) down the freeway to get me to my flight, to McGuire AFB in New Jersey on time. I remember the roll back from the terminal, just looking at the building. I am so glad the City of Phoenix had the forethought to "retire" terminal one and it's designation.

Lots o' great memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 PM

2,948 posts, read 3,503,090 times
Quote:
I am so glad the City of Phoenix had the forethought to "retire" terminal one and it's designation.
Actually, a new Terminal 1 is in the works. It will be similar to Terminal 4 and will replace Terminal 2. When it's done, there will be a Terminal 1, 3 and 4. That won't be confusing!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:57 AM

2,721 posts, read 396,931 times
"what time is it? ... Its Carpettime" anyone remember that crazy commerical, the guy holding the handsaw with carpettime painted on it!... talk about hi-tech also how about Dave Pizer and his little dog Wolfie.. which was a huge great dane. now those were commericals!!

Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,952,928 times
Either upthread in this thread, or perhaps in a separate one, we had a discussion about Carpetime. Do a search and you'll find it!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:57 AM

2,721 posts, read 396,931 times
does anyone remember "the flower children" , they sold flowers on the street corners, in the '70's

Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 AM

115 posts, read 132,592 times
Yep I sure do, they would appear on about every street corner. I would see them a lot at 32nd St. and McDowell, that seemed to be a major selling area for them. That and 44th and Thomas.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:25 PM

2,254 posts, read 3,382,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
does anyone remember "the flower children" , they sold flowers on the street corners, in the '70's
The most famous one was on Scottsdale Road about Osborn Street. I forget her name. She was very chirpy always smiling and waving at traffic. She sold a ton of flowers. My girlfriend at the time knew her. The flower girl had been in a car accident and had a steel plate in her head which might have explained her enthusiasm. She was saving up money to move to Hawaii and live on the land, a real beatnik. Sadly, one of her hippie 'friends' found her money stash in her closet and stole everything.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:28 PM

266 posts, read 308,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Actually, a new Terminal 1 is in the works. It will be similar to Terminal 4 and will replace Terminal 2. When it's done, there will be a Terminal 1, 3 and 4. That won't be confusing!
So people now ask about terminal 1 and are told there is no such thing.
Now the question will be "where's terminal 2?" and get the same answer.
Not at all confusing.

Thanks for the update.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Larry View Post
Pegler was on Camelback. In the 1960's they sold Dodge pickups with 6 cyl engine, 3 speed trans, no radio, one sun visor (drivers side) rubber floor mats, short narrow bed with a spare for $1,800. I don't know exactly what years.

I remember another TV commercial for a place called Carpet Time. I think the address was 1205 E Indian School??? Some guy (had an accent) would have the carpet hanging and beat the crap out of it with a pointer he had to demonstrate how durable the carpet was. Used to crack me up. Anybody remember that?
yes I remember it and my husband was trying to think of the guys name that owned it and did the commercials.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:05 AM

27 posts, read 47,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjudi View Post
yes I remember it and my husband was trying to think of the guys name that owned it and did the commercials.

I think the owner of Carpet Time was Kurt ( or Curt ) something.

The owner of Peglers Dodge was Julian Pegler. But I don't think he ever did any on-air commercials. The guy most people are thinking of, is Stan Norman. Stocky, short salt and pepper hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area