U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 08:59 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 4,744,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
............as I have commented on in the past: the Phx area as described by Melanie53 and Ralph Score brought a tear to my eye.

What Phx is today no longer feels like 'home'----------it is too big.

As much as I hate to admit to this: I am thinking about leaving Arizona and moving to Charleston, W Va. in 1-2 years.
"MountaineerBear" just doesn't sound as good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 11:21 AM

11 posts, read 51,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Sounds like we may have been in school at about the same time. I played baseball (Coronado '73) against Ladmo's son who went to Tempe HS. I didn't see Mays with the Phx Giants, but we saw McCovey several times. Kinda wish I'd gotten his autograph now, but growing up hanging on every word from Vin Scully and Jerry Doggett, Giant autographs weren't very important at the time. I managed to registered countless times for KRIZ promos, but all I ever won was a couple of 45s. I used to have the last 60 minutes of KRIZ radio, followed by a minute of dead air, recorded on a cassette. The last song played was "Good Night Sweetheart" by The Spaniels. The end of an era. Damn that was a sad night!
I graduated from Coronado in 74'. Went to Tonalea Elementary. I remember hanging out at the Jack in the Box on 74th and McDowell with a bunch of people with fast cars. It was when it was still an all outdoor fast food place. We used to play volleyball in the parking lot of the gas station next door across the street from the A&W.

I remember it was always a battle between KRIZ and KRUX. My parents used to listen to KUPD (before it rocked) and KOY. I remember when KDKB was really underground and was called KCAC.

Do you remember the Red Dog Saloon on Scottsdale Rd. next to the Kachina theater? How about Minder Binders? Do you remember the concerts at Phoenix Muni and later Diablo stadium by Feyline Productions?

I remember seeing Robin Trower and Tommy Bolin on the same bill for a can of food. Same with Seals and Crofts. I can still remember seeing Yes and Pink Floyd at the Colluseum and Deep Purple at Big Surf during those days. My first real paying job was as a bus boy at El Gaucho right next to Big Surf.

I can remember my friends and I chasing jack rabbits at night in my parents Datsun in the big open field behind the Motorola across from Smitty's on McDowell.

I still find myself driving around the old neighborhood whenever I'm up in the area and never get tired of it. Looks like the campus has been going through some changes. Lots of great tmes when times seemed more innocent. I still remember sitting in line for gas during the oil embargo however and we were just getting past Nixon and Watergate so maybe it just seems more innocent now.

Regards

Old 08-17-2008, 11:54 AM

21,145 posts, read 34,110,082 times
aj661 and Ralph Score: be careful in referring to your collective selves as 'old'!

I will be age 51 next month (graduated HS in 1975 [back east unfortunately]).

BTW: I live 1/4 of a mile from 74th St/McDowell. The Basha's there is now gone----------closed a few months ago

Old 08-17-2008, 03:16 PM

3,089 posts, read 4,176,669 times
I moved from Chicago to Phoenix, and managed a horse farm on Cactus, just east of Pima. At that time, Pima did not extend north of Cactus, and I was able to ride my horses all the way to Taliesien! Bell Road was lined with big Arabian Horse Farms, and the nearest "shopping was at Bell Road and Cave Creek, A.J. Bayless and Yellow Front! The first winter that I was here, I remember coming out of the grocery store one early evening, to find my car covered with about 1 inch of very wet snow. . . I felt lucky to still have that snow scraper / brush still in the car from Chicago!

Old 08-17-2008, 08:59 PM

12 posts, read 33,925 times
Unhappy Lived Here Since I Was 11

I remember Phoenix... I remember dry summers from June to August... I remember friendly, welcoming people... I remember perfectly gorgeous falls and winters... I remember quality housing and beautiful areas of the city... I remember charming Scottsdale... I remember funky, fun Mill Avenue before it went commercial and boring...

Old 08-18-2008, 12:55 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 4,744,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Score View Post
I graduated from Coronado in 74'. Went to Tonalea Elementary. I remember hanging out at the Jack in the Box on 74th and McDowell with a bunch of people with fast cars. It was when it was still an all outdoor fast food place. We used to play volleyball in the parking lot of the gas station next door across the street from the A&W.

I remember it was always a battle between KRIZ and KRUX. My parents used to listen to KUPD (before it rocked) and KOY. I remember when KDKB was really underground and was called KCAC.

Do you remember the Red Dog Saloon on Scottsdale Rd. next to the Kachina theater? How about Minder Binders? Do you remember the concerts at Phoenix Muni and later Diablo stadium by Feyline Productions?

I remember seeing Robin Trower and Tommy Bolin on the same bill for a can of food. Same with Seals and Crofts. I can still remember seeing Yes and Pink Floyd at the Colluseum and Deep Purple at Big Surf during those days. My first real paying job was as a bus boy at El Gaucho right next to Big Surf.

I can remember my friends and I chasing jack rabbits at night in my parents Datsun in the big open field behind the Motorola across from Smitty's on McDowell.

I still find myself driving around the old neighborhood whenever I'm up in the area and never get tired of it. Looks like the campus has been going through some changes. Lots of great tmes when times seemed more innocent. I still remember sitting in line for gas during the oil embargo however and we were just getting past Nixon and Watergate so maybe it just seems more innocent now.

Regards
I went to Hohokam and lived on Granada (originally Palo Verde) across Granite Reef from Smitty's #2. So my childhood was spent growing up next to major groundwater contamination from Motorola's GED plant. Between that and them giving everyone in the class a couple of drops of mercury to roll around in our hands and smear on a quarter in 7th grade science class, it's a wonder our entire generation isn't already dead! 40 years later if you break a CFL bulb it's a major haz-mat incident!

There was a time I practically lived at Minder Binders. I loved it there, eating peanuts~remember the barrels full of them?~and playing air hockey upstairs. I remember the Red Dog but never went there.

One of my first jobs was at Russ's Super Car Wash on McDowell. Russ Jackson was a serious P. in the A. to work for, but I got free car washes in addition to my generous pay of $1.50 an hour.

Coronado has gone through some major changes. I drove around the campus after the get together for Coach Coppinger a couple months ago. I can't believe they moved the varsity baseball field. That was Holy Ground!

I bought a lot of hamburgers at that Jack in the Box. Same with the Taco Bell down the street. Remember Bell Burgers? I hung out from time to time at the Exxon next door to JIB where a friend worked. I drove a '64 Plymouth Valiant with a slant-6; no fast cars for me in HS, although I had '73 Norton 850 before I graduated-that was fast.

Bear, we are old! Sorry buddy, but people still living that can remember where they were when JFK was shot, we're lucky we're not stuffed and on display in a museum.

Last edited by aj661; 08-18-2008 at 02:04 AM..

Old 08-18-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSugar View Post
I remember Phoenix... I remember dry summers from June to August... I remember friendly, welcoming people... I remember perfectly gorgeous falls and winters... I remember quality housing and beautiful areas of the city... I remember charming Scottsdale... I remember funky, fun Mill Avenue before it went commercial and boring...
I remember buying my first real pair of bell bottom Levis on Mill at a place called "Jeans West". We used to always go to Midnight Movies at the Valley Art. Two of my favorite places to chow in Tempe were the Chuck Wagon on University ("Big Un with Swiss and a mason jar of draft please") and a little subs and pizza place called "Bojo's" just south of University on Rural. My mom worked at ASU when I was a kid and I can remember there being a no mans land between Scottsdale and Tempe until you got to Hayden Plaza East where we used to go to the movies all the time.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:28 AM

This is for all who've lived in the Metro area for some time. The following are all areas or locations I have lived over the years:

1957: Sheridan around 3rd street, Phx.
1959: Sheridan off 68th street, Sctsdl.
1975: Avalon off 68th street, Sctsdl.
1980: 7th street off Indian School, Phx.
1980: 28th Pl. off McDowell, Phx.
1982: Area of Thunderbird & Cave Creek, Phx.
1983: 36th Pl. & Acoma, Phx.
1983: 34th Pl. & Campbell, Phx.
1984: 10th St. & Monte Vista, Phx.
1985: 26th Pl. & Oak, Phx.
1985: Sheridan St. & 22nd St., Phx.
1986: Sheridan St. & 21st St., Phx.
1987: 19th Ave & Dunlap area, Phx.
1988: 34th Ave, & Maryland area, Phx.
1989: 16th St. & Camelback area, Phx.

Gone since 89'

Cheers

Old 08-23-2008, 03:25 PM

1,265 posts, read 2,154,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
I used to have the last 60 minutes of KRIZ radio, followed by a minute of dead air, recorded on a cassette. The last song played was "Good Night Sweetheart" by The Spaniels. The end of an era. Damn that was a sad night!
Dang, I remember that night and the Spaniel's song so well at the end.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:03 PM

21,145 posts, read 34,110,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Dang, I remember that night and the Spaniel's song so well at the end.
KRIZ AM

I was amazed I could even find a link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area