Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,581,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
Do you mean the hospital at the very top of Central Ave? I took a tumble down the back side of North Mountain in the early sixties and had some cuts and bruises. I went into that hospital to be looked at. It was a private hospital and since has been torn down for a McMansion, I believe. I wonder who the patients would have been or what kind of hospital it was?
There was a Roy Brooks Clinic of the Desert Mission at 9111 north 2nd St. in Sunnyslope.

Never mind, I found it: North Mountain Hospital at 48 Foothill Drive in Sunnyslope. They advertised as being at the north end of Central Avenue. The building had a glassed in 2 story entrance that looked like a flying wedge Tiki lodge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:44 AM

12 posts, read 48,144 times
Default North mountain hospital

That sounds like the one.I was born there and was telling my wife about the hospital and also in front belowthe hospital were monkey cages exotic birds etc..Anybody remember that...

Old 09-19-2010, 11:48 AM

What about the docoyor who lost his license and then built that castle bowling alley by peoria ave? Help me if you can...

Old 09-19-2010, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 25,526 times
Cool I went to Grace Brothern School Church so who are you?????

Ok , So you say you went to Grace Brethren School. so did we..who are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
Such happy memories looking at Wallace, Ladmo and Gerald. Notice it is the toy shelf, not the Ladmo Bags, in the background.

My memories are kind of fuzzy but I do remember Black Canyon Highway being built. My sister and I used to watch the construction equipment move dirt, etc. This was in the 6500 block of the highway.

I remember going out to Sky Harbor, the old red brick building, and hiding behind my mother's skirts because all the planes scared us. We were waiting for my Dad to fly home to Phoenix to spend the weekend with us.

I remember going to the old Bethany Home Road theater and watching Wallace and Ladmo plus Gerald entertain us kids with their antics. They used to make the rounds and provide entertainment during the intermission at local movie theaters.

I remember when Chris Town was one of the nicest malls in town. We used to shop at Korricks (usually at Christmas and my grandmother would bring home mysterious boxes wrapped at Korricks and we would wonder...) I remember the monkey and his owner entertaining kids at Chris Town.

I remember going to the Town and Country shopping plaza at Christmas and seeing the place all decorated.

I remember listening to the tales of Super Chicken brought to you by a forgotten ice company. I think it was Blue Ice or something like that. Every morning before heading off to school I would listen to the newest installment.

I remember listening to KOY and KTAR.

I remember going to Mary Coyle's ice cream and enjoying the coool air conditioning plus the yummy ice cream. Nothing better on a hot summer day.

I remember wanting to go to dinner at the Green Gables as I was so impressed with the white horse and rider.

I remember when a trip to Luke AFB seemed a long way off. There was cabbage and grapes growing. I think there was cotton too.

I remember going to school at Orangewood, Ocotillo and Grace Brethren. Grace Brethren used to have an empty lot next to the play ground and we would watch a "paint" horse gallop around the field.

And then I remember going to the Heard Indian Fair. Great fun, especially watching all the Native American dancers dance. Of course the fry bread was a treat too.

Of course my parents remember when Chris Town was nothing but fields.

My mother used to live near Luke and 7th Avenues. I found her old red brick house on Google. She found it too after I showed her how to do so. The palm tree was still in front of the house but I couldn't see the orange tree. Google did not offer a good enough picture for that.

Such happy memories...

LadmoFan

Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 AM

37 posts, read 145,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy61 View Post
What about the docoyor who lost his license and then built that castle bowling alley by peoria ave? Help me if you can...

It was built and run by a Dr. Kenneth Hall. It had a circular drive in front and in the middle was a huge grassy/tree filled area with a pool ( which I never remember having water in it ). But he then had a number of cages with Apes, Baboons, etc. Pretty neat as a kid going to visit someone in the hospital.. and being able to wander around outside looking at those.

I lived in Sunnyslope, 57-64, and remember going there a number of times. To the east ( right in the postcard photo above ) he had a ton of old WW II ambulances and construction equipment. Not exactly sure when it closed, or when/why, he might have lost his license. My grandfather was a plasterer who worked on El Cid lanes. I know it sat unfinished for a long time, then finally opened in the late 70's early 80's? Had a pretty good restaurant as well, but for maybe a couple of years only. Then went through quite a few changes.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:37 PM

That is awesome and very helpful information..Thank you so much....

Old 09-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Default El cid Lanes

Does anybody have type of infomation about El Cid lanes right off of peoria ave in the seventies and eighties...

Old 09-20-2010, 02:36 PM

362 posts, read 1,691,604 times
Default Bob Crane/Hogan

[quote=desertskies;15939378
Speaking of movies filmed here, I'm still wondering about Auto Focus and a scene maybe at the Safari Resort...anyone?[/QUOTE]

Heres a few cruddy images from The Bob Crane murder investigation.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-crane-murder-apt..jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-crane_apts_inv5.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-winfield-apt-crane.jpg  

Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 AM

83 posts, read 309,600 times
^ windfield place is right up the street from me. my cousin and his wife managed it for abbout 5 years up until last year.

i remember when the murder happened, my aunt's husband's mother lived either next door or within a few doors. she was supposed to have me spend the weekend with her and go ride horses and go to the movies. my mother got a call from her and told me that something bad had happened, and they had to move his mother all weekend so no sleep over. it wasn't until i was in HS that she mentioned it and why she had to move.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:15 AM

11 posts, read 24,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
I believe the Kon Tiki Motel was the scene location for the first movie "Family Vacation" with Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo when Chase went Skinny dipping with that model Christie Brinkley(?) after they left the dead aunt at her sons house in Phoenix. The movie had quite a bit of it shot in Az.

Wow I had no idea that I stayed where Chevy Chase made a movie. Such great memories of my vacations in Phoenix. I understand the Kon Tiki has been razed??? It was a really nice place to stay and so beautiful. Also it was so convenient to the airport. Why so much destruction of wonderful places??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area