Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 07:00 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
Yeah, we would take pieces of plywood and make skim boards to go irrigation surfing at Tonalea school in Scottsdale. I remember going to track meets at Hohokam. Was that school over on Oak and like 87th st?
Yes, maybe 85th, I lived on 86th and Windsor in the Hallcraft tract. North of Thomas was mostly farmland. The reservation was just beyond 87th and I would climb through the fence and wander around out in the desert looking for old bones (cattle). I must've been about 6 then and wasn't supposed to cross through that fence. Do you remember the horrible dust storms that used to come up from the reservation? This was 1960 and the dust would start at the east horizon and slowly cover the sky. The lights would go out those old metal garbage cans would blow all over the neighborhood...always scared me to death! Man that was more than 50 years ago! I feel like I'm really reaching into the memory bank here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 AM

155 posts, read 477,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Yes, maybe 85th, I lived on 86th and Windsor in the Hallcraft tract. North of Thomas was mostly farmland. The reservation was just beyond 87th and I would climb through the fence and wander around out in the desert looking for old bones (cattle). I must've been about 6 then and wasn't supposed to cross through that fence. Do you remember the horrible dust storms that used to come up from the reservation? This was 1960 and the dust would start at the east horizon and slowly cover the sky. The lights would go out those old metal garbage cans would blow all over the neighborhood...always scared me to death! Man that was more than 50 years ago! I feel like I'm really reaching into the memory bank here!
Oh yes, the dust storms in late summer were always a highlight. The dust would blow in and settle on your car then just enough rain to blotch it all up instead of washing it off. Usually coming up from Tucson and the east from the reservation areas. I remember the only real pollution you saw in the valley was a cloud of sulphur smoke coming from the east down the south side of the superstition mountains from the Superior and Gobe/Miami smelters.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:35 AM

24,287 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
In about '60 Hohokam Elementary School in Scottsdale would flood irrigate the fields. It was usually on a Saturday and every kid in the neighborhood would grab a bucket and run down hoping to catch a catfish...I never did...I was sure envious of those who did...not sure why tho.
Seems most of the schools would flood irrigate. At Navajo we'd wait for the Saturday floods and then play rice paddy football. Never left ruts, just smelled bad afterwards. Not the fields that smelled, we did.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 02-04-2011 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 02-04-2011, 09:39 AM

24,287 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
Oh yes, the dust storms in late summer were always a highlight. The dust would blow in and settle on your car then just enough rain to blotch it all up instead of washing it off. Usually coming up from Tucson and the east from the reservation areas. I remember the only real pollution you saw in the valley was a cloud of sulphur smoke coming from the east down the south side of the superstition mountains from the Superior and Gobe/Miami smelters.
Dust storms would trash swimming pools... no fun to clean up afterwards. In the days before self-cleaners, one would have to brush, vacuum and then backflush the system. Worked at the YMCA in Scottsdale as a lifeguard which meant many a day spent cleaning up after a summer monsoon dust storm. (We had a baseball/softball field and vacant lot immediately east which exacerbated the problem.)

Old 02-05-2011, 04:58 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Dust storms would trash swimming pools... no fun to clean up afterwards. In the days before self-cleaners, one would have to brush, vacuum and then backflush the system. Worked at the YMCA in Scottsdale as a lifeguard which meant many a day spent cleaning up after a summer monsoon dust storm. (We had a baseball/softball field and vacant lot immediately east which exacerbated the problem.)
Back in the days before air conditioners, people had water coolers and they would suck the air in the one room with the cooler and then open windows about 6 inches in the other rooms they wanted to cool. When a dust storm came up it was a mad dash home to shut all the windows.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,370 times
Baker Nursery (Mrs. B's greenhouse) had aspen or hay like material in one whole wall, floor to ceiling. I don't recall what kept the pad material in place. There was a pipe along the top that dripped recirculated water caught at the bottom. On the other side of the nursery was a venturi fan blowing out. Unbelievably cool room any day of the summer. I just expect you can go see it any summer day for many years to come. 40th. St. and Osborn. The best.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 AM

201 posts, read 545,029 times
Is Monte's La Casa Vieja still in business? Is the Glandale Star newspaper still published? Our neighbor was the publisher in Glendale. Remember Governor Raul Castro? Web says he is still alive and second oldest living Governor at age 94...cool. I wish I still had all my old Arizona Highways magazines. Probably would be worth alot nowdays..of course I would never sell them. Gave most of them away over the years to family members coming to escape the harsh winters of the Midwest. One of the best songs.."I Love You Arizona" here's the Youtube link. Enjoy your Sunday Miss you Arizona.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7xedmvJTzk

Old 02-06-2011, 06:03 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Monti's is still in business, yes. The Glendale Star, no.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:15 PM

14 posts, read 37,240 times
Default Go carts on East Washington.

I visited my sister here back in 1985, on that trip we rode the go carts on the north side of Washington st. These were the smaller lawn mower powered ones. On the south side of the street there was another cart track. The Castle Boutique is in that location now. Was that building part of the Go cart track? That was a great trip.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:15 PM

201 posts, read 545,029 times
I just found out today that Associate Pastor Harold Green of North Phoenix Baptist Church at Central Ave. and Bethany Home Rd in the 1980's passed away last July 2010. He was always the man behind the scenes and did most of the baptisms and weddings that I remember. One of the pages said he developed cancer of the pancreas. For those of us that remeber him, he was a good an honorable man. My condolences to his family and the NPBC family as well. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication. God bless you Mr. Green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area