Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM

201 posts, read 544,769 times

Advertisements

Speaking of piggyback freight trains, the trains were prohibited from stopping anywhere south of El Mirage and Phoenix Mobest yards as the theives in Glendale used to open up the backs of the piggybacks and offload stereos, TV's and whatever else they could get ahold of. When the price of copper was so high back in the 70's, they used to cut the cables and steal the signaling cables, electrical and again all they could get their hands on. I remember reading about a band of theives that somehow managed to cut and steal Salt River Project copper cables along the right of way with Santa Fe Railway from Surprise to El Mirage. Some things never change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 11:52 AM

In the late 70's and early 80's Phoenix used to have Price Club long before it became Costco Wholesale Membership Club. Sol Price was the original founder. I knew someone that worked at Price Club for many years and watched how it changed. There was one near Indian School Rd and 33rd Ave by Graham Central Station.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:57 AM

One of the best parts about Christmas in the Valley was the luminarias in many places like the Desert Botanical Gardens and the Red Lion Las Posadas Hotel in Paradise Valley. Here is a short tour to view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKWJT6TUgA

Old 02-27-2011, 12:27 PM

12 posts, read 30,980 times
I can remember in 1957 my family would go stand in the soup line downtown Phoenix twice a month drove 22 miles to that fine resturant

Meet Edward Smith in 1955 he owned the land west of cave creek road & catus to lookout mountian. He sold passage rights to the state for thunderbird road from catus to 19th ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
A very cool edler told me that the main horse racing track in Phoenix was way out in the sticks near 64th St. & Thomas (where I now live). I then came across this photo circa 1950.

There looks to be nothing there but the track, 2 water tanks (the round things) and a little bit of development South which was actually the POW camp in 1945. It's now where the ballfields are on the East side of Papago Park, home to the Angels practice faicility. Where the track was sitting is now a neighborhood. In fact it's now considered "Old" Same with the much of the rest of the area. Ancient Scottsdale and E. PHX!

For housing buffs, this is a very cool area... such a mix of styles.
Arizona Downs I used to work there

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrey heights View Post
The Green Gables course was at 24th St. and Thomas. It was operated by the same company as Alpine Valley, and was also a theme course.
My father help build Alpin Valley And Green Gables used to get free passes to play them

Last edited by observer53; 02-28-2011 at 06:52 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 03:44 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmickey View Post
We didn't have homeless we had Hobos and desertrats back then
I was a kid back then and we really didn't have that problem...a few winos in the doorways downtown in the early 60's... my friend and I would see them when we went to town for movies at the Fox or Paramount Theaters. I remember my parents talking about hobos hopping the trains. The homeless problem started in the '70's when people were let out of the state hospitals because it was against constitutional rights to keep them confined.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 AM

24,276 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
One of the best parts about Christmas in the Valley was the luminarias in many places like the Desert Botanical Gardens and the Red Lion Las Posadas Hotel in Paradise Valley. Here is a short tour to view:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKWJT6TUgA

Does anyone remember the "bell" during the Christmas season on the east side of Camelback Mountain in the 60s and 70s? It was a panel of plywood or similar material with lights in the shape of three bells. The lights were sequenced so the bell would appear to rock back and forth as if ringing. It was bright enough to be seen all the way to Mesa, but lost resolution east of Hayden.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 02-28-2011 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Remove link

Old 02-28-2011, 06:54 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
In the late 70's and early 80's Phoenix used to have Price Club long before it became Costco Wholesale Membership Club. Sol Price was the original founder. I knew someone that worked at Price Club for many years and watched how it changed. There was one near Indian School Rd and 33rd Ave by Graham Central Station.

It's still there, as a Costco. There were multiple Price Clubs in the Valley by the time the merger with Costco happened in 1999.
Mr. Price was quite an interesting fellow. He was also behind the Fed Mart chain of stores. Here's his obituary, which tells his story. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sig...&pid=137332098

Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 AM

30 posts, read 101,712 times
Default Playland / Penny Arcade

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The penny arcade was named Playland and was at 25 E. Washington next to a fancy woman's store with an Art Deco front. Playland itself used to be Donofrio's ice cream parlor originally. The stained glass windows above the door were still there in the 40's and 50's. Playland added the marquee you can see in the photo. There was a pool hall downstairs with the entrance on the alley. Inside Playland the guy in the cage to make change was on the right and the pin ball machines on the left. the flip cards were next to the cage. In the back they had the games, like the thing that shocked you the longer you held on and my favorite, the bear that went back and forth as you shot it with a beam of light and made it keep turning around. Across the street was the Studio theater.

Attachment 76349
Thanks for the info & pic.

I think I remember a guy in a cage to make change & the shocking game.

But I don't remember the other things you mentioned.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 AM

283 posts, read 880,347 times
Quote:
You could always tell when it was winter time in the Valley not only because there were more out of state plates on the cars but also by the increased numbers of " working girls" om East Van Buren near 20th Street...LOL... My Dad used to go that way most of the year with us kids and Mom in the car and we kids could spot the hookers there a mile away. Anyway, Im sure they have cleaned it up somewhat. Or have they??? Hope so.
Back in the 80's we were returning home to the East Valley from the Coliseum when my daughter, who was in junior high, asked if the stories about Van Buren being so seedy were true because the kids at school talked about it. So I detoured down 7th Ave and on to Van Buren for the "scenic route" home.

It was a saturday night and I have to admit that even I was impressed with the show and I spent 1-1/2 years in Bangkok! There were hookers and pimps packed on every corner and in between. Women, men, tranny's, you name it. Before we got to 24th street, a pimp started beating one of his girls and then chased her across the street in front of us. Several tranny's blew kisses at us as we passed by and I drove very slowly to increase the family's viewing pleasure.

By the time we reached 48th street, my daughter's jaw was in her lap and her eyes were just about falling out of her head. My wife was freaking and had my .45, that I always carry in my car, in her lap with a round in the chamber. I swear I couldn't have scripted it better myself for shock value. It gave my daughter a lot to talk about in school on Monday, She's now a middle-aged woman with her own family and she still talks about "Dad's Scenic Tour". I don't think my wife has forgiven me yet!

WHAT????????

Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 AM

18 posts, read 88,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmickey View Post
My father help build Alpine Valley And Green Gables used to get free passes to play them
Hi ssmickey, you wouldn't happen to have any photos, would you? I have a little Alpine Valley web site and have been searching for a photo of the place forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area