Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Does anyone remember the "bell" during the Christmas season on the east side of Camelback Mountain in the 60s and 70s? It was a panel of plywood or similar material with lights in the shape of three bells. The lights were sequenced so the bell would appear to rock back and forth as if ringing. It was bright enough to be seen all the way to Mesa, but lost resolution east of Hayden.

yes, slug, I remember it well....it was pretty much a given that it would be up every Xmas....it was pretty big and high up on the slope in that area of houses that face E/NE above Invergordon....I don't actively live in Phx anymore, but has it been gone for years now?....thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
The "bell" seemed to have been taken down in the late 70s. By the time I graduated from college in 82 it wasn't operating anymore... owner moved, maybe? There was an article in the Scottsdale Daily Regress (as my Drivers Ed teacher called it) with a picture of the bell. It was as traditional as the Three Wisemen saguaros on Camelback at 64th (?) every year.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 02-28-2011 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 11:58 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
It seemed to have been taken down in the late 70s. By the time I graduated from college in 82 it wasn't operating anymore... owner moved, maybe? There was an article in the Scottsdale Daily Regress (as my Drivers Ed teacher called it) with a picture of the "bell". It was as traditional as the Three Wisemen saguaros on Camelback at 64th (?) every year.
And let's not forget the house on the mountain where they spelled out "Merry Christmas" and then "Happy New Year" on some sort of retaining wall type structure on the slope in front of the house. I remember the wise men, but I don't remember the bell. Who knows why.

Last edited by observer53; 02-28-2011 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-28-2011, 12:34 PM

283 posts, read 880,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
And let's not forget the house on the mountain where they spelled out "Merry Christmas" and then "Happy New Year" on some sort of retaining wall type structure on the slope in front of the house. I remember the wise men, but I don't remember the bell. Who knows why.
I remember that house on the southside of Camelback with the "Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Year". Does Tempe still do the Wise Men on Tempe "A" Mountain? I remember every few days they would move them closer to the star on top of the mountain.

Last edited by observer53; 02-28-2011 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: fixed my typo in the quote

Old 02-28-2011, 12:45 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
Quote:
There was an article in the Scottsdale Daily Regress (as my Drivers Ed teacher called it)
was your drivers ed teacher Hegarty from Saguaro?....I remember he called the paper that!....I was at Saguaro in the late 70s....

Old 02-28-2011, 01:18 PM

12 posts, read 31,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrey heights View Post
Hi ssmickey, you wouldn't happen to have any photos, would you? I have a little Alpine Valley web site and have been searching for a photo of the place forever.
surrey height the only photo I have of Alpine is in my brain and we haven't figerd out to put it on digital yet

Old 02-28-2011, 01:31 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
was your drivers ed teacher Hegarty from Saguaro?....I remember he called the paper that!....I was at Saguaro in the late 70s....
Yes he was... I did DE 2nd hour in fall 1975, took Aviation Science with Mr. Solem in Spring 1976. We had a term for Mr. Hegarty's class, a play on "highway hypnosis"; it was "Hegarty Hypnosis".

Old 02-28-2011, 03:37 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
The "bell" seemed to have been taken down in the late 70s. By the time I graduated from college in 82 it wasn't operating anymore... owner moved, maybe? There was an article in the Scottsdale Daily Regress (as my Drivers Ed teacher called it) with a picture of the bell. It was as traditional as the Three Wisemen saguaros on Camelback at 64th (?) every year.
I think I have too many pictures.
Click image for larger version

Name:	scottsdale 3 wisemen.JPG
Views:	803
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	76394

Old 02-28-2011, 04:08 PM

18 posts, read 88,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmickey View Post
surrey height the only photo I have of Alpine is in my brain and we haven't figerd out to put it on digital yet
Well please let me know if you figure it out.

I'm convinced that somebody out there has pics of Alpine Valley. Perhaps even home movie footage. They used to have birthday parties there all the time.

I did recently find an aerial view of the course:

Alpine Valley Miniature Golf Course - Aerial

Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 AM

201 posts, read 545,176 times
5 AM test patterns on TV before the National Anthem then to Bugs Bunny cartoons and World Beyond on KPHO TV Saturdays... Godzilla and others. Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom with Marlon Perkins, Lawrence Welk and his orchestra. Hee Haw with Buck Owens and Roy Clark. Lilly Tomlin and her "one ringy dingy" operator skit on Rowin and Martins Laugh-In. Flip Wilson, The Muppet Show with Kermit, Miss Piggy and the cast. Surf the channels today and there isnt anything on 300 channels much worth watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area