Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 02:58 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szterrell View Post
I'm hoping someone will recognize where this photo was taken ... Bottle House Liquors, Reed's Building Materials, Iron Dog Furniture Co. ??? The truck has a sign stating Van Buren Auto Supply ??? A. Scott Reed was my gg grandfather who owned and operated the lumber store and I was told it was in Phoenix ???? Thanks for the help! Sz
I located a Bottle House liquor store at 5624 N. 7th Street in 1957 but not Reed's or Iron Dog. Cars look postwar 1940's in your photo. Van Buren Auto Supply was at 1432 E. Van Buren so maybe the bottle house moved in the 50's. There is a photo of the Auto Supply at Phoenix, Arizona vintage old photos, pictures, history, photographs, by Heberlee. Union High School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szterrell View Post
I'm hoping someone will recognize where this photo was taken ... Bottle House Liquors, Reed's Building Materials, Iron Dog Furniture Co. ??? The truck has a sign stating Van Buren Auto Supply ??? A. Scott Reed was my gg grandfather who owned and operated the lumber store and I was told it was in Phoenix ???? Thanks for the help! Sz
I found it, Reed Lumber and Hardware Co. 1442 E. Van Buren, from my 1946 telephone book.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I just remembered something: in 1972 there was a movie (Cancel my Reservation) filmed here in Arizona that showed Sky Harbor, etc. Bob Hope was in it
Another movie was the original Psycho which has opening scenes filmed in downtown Phoenix.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Score View Post
I had my first date with a new girlfriend at the Thomas Mall theater where we saw "Day of the Dolphin". I also worked at National Shirt Shops in 74' when I was in high school. I totally remember Kiddieland and had a birthday party at the Super Slide when I was about 10.
Kiddeland originally was on Thomas and moved when Thomas Mall was built. The rides later found a new home at Legend City. I was in Diamonds during the 70's and used the bathroom; went back about an hour later and the whole inside was trashed; the metal stall doors were bent and the dividers between uninals were busted off the tile wall. Most older malls were destroyed by teenagers and now have rules about having to be with an adult after hours.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:45 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times
I work with a lady who used to have "Desert Parties" in the 70's out near Tatum and Bell, apperently that area was completely undeveloped.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
The Spaghetti Company is on Central just south of McDowell, we've gone there a few times.

I remember the skating rink at Metro Center! I also remember the Metro Lounge right above the rink, it had the shape of a TWA jetliner.
The Spaghetti Company was originally a furniture store. Two houses on Central were joined together and a large building built behind that. The restaurant had a bunch of games and old Coke machine where you first walked in, that room was the old front porch that had been closed in. In the center of the main eating area there was an old converted trolley and kids used to love sitting in it to eat. Some photos are at acmeron.com

Old 02-26-2009, 03:22 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times
Didn't there used to be a big arcade at metrocenter on the first level?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Ice Skating Rink and Arcade

Old 02-27-2009, 11:38 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Wow, great stories here.

Grape vineyards where Fashion Square is now (there was a Bayless and a Ryan-Evans drug store on that corner of Scottsdale and Camelback, the vineyards were just to the west).

Hamburgers ten for a dollar at the Ranch House at Scottsdale and Indian School.

Spudnuts.

The Bobs Big Boy at Central and Thomas.

Sandwiches at the University Drive In, Rural and University (delivered by carhops)

The RoundUp Drive In with the big neon cowboy sign. The Fox and Palms and Paramount( now the Orpheum) downtown.

The flaming Phoenix bird (the original statue) along Camelback by Town and Country.

Kiddieland.

A trip to Park Central to see the big Christmas tree.

The Japanese flower gardens. Another yearly ritual to go down there and look and smell that heady fragrance.

Thomas Mall when it was new....

Wallace and Ladmo show -- never missed it as a kid. Later went to high school (Scottsdale HS -- a great memory in itself) with Wallace's daughter.

The memory bank is still working... more later.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:26 PM

Here is a snapshot of the Fox, the most Art Deco building in Phoenix. Torn down in 1975.

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area