U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2011, 05:24 PM

13,856 posts, read 16,506,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
The same wonderful smell of freshly baked bread emanated from the Holsum bakery on Black Canyon/I-17 around Adams...mmmmm
It still does. (Van Buren just W of 7th Ave). Sara Lee took it over recently, though, I'm not sure what they are making there-- I haven't smelled bread lately.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 PM

278 posts, read 347,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
How about The Click over next to the greyhound dog track ?
The Click was a regular after work hangout for us 2nd shift people at Airesearch. We would pack the place and when they hollered "last call", we'd buy a case and continue partying in the parking lot till wee hours. The Phoenix police never bothered us as long as we stayed in the parking lot and didn't cause a commotion.

Before they leveled Washington street, that was a low area and when it rained about 18 inches of water would gather there. The first time it happened to me, I remember wading through knee deep water up to the Click's door and wondering how they kept the water out? THEY WEREN'T!!! Everyone was inside having a hell of a good time and getting soaking wet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 PM

3,929 posts, read 1,435,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
These shots belong to J.C. Richards and Dennis Dunaway.
There is only 5 years time between these two.
Alice Coopers "Schools Out" is still the biggest selling record in Warner Brothers history. Now we have ... Beiber? Gaga? good grief!
The 1970s were are great time for rock & roll.
For those who remember the 70s.

That looks a lot like an Alice Cooper poster I brought home in the early 70s because it was totally cool. My parents were aghast! Which made Alice Cooper all the more totally cool. (This then-11-year-old was subsequently not allowed to put the poster up.)

The 60s/70s showed that PHX could grow great music. Bob Meighan, Alice (of course), The Beans (later known as The Tubes).

At the end of the 70s, as disco was dying (thankfully) New Wave showed promise. Here's video of a local band that received air time but never made it big. Check out the skinny ties...

YouTube - ‪Blue Shoes - BETTER - Phoenix, Arizona 1980‬‏

Old 06-10-2011, 05:43 PM

3,929 posts, read 1,435,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
The Click was a regular after work hangout for us 2nd shift people at Airesearch.
Haven't thought about the Click in a long time... my dad would go there to close a sales deal in the 60s or early 70s. Wasn't there a used hub cap and wheel cover place nearby?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:08 PM

13,856 posts, read 16,506,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Haven't thought about the Click in a long time... my dad would go there to close a sales deal in the 60s or early 70s. Wasn't there a used hub cap and wheel cover place nearby?
I think the Click was still there until very recently. The hubcap place, if we are thinking of the same one, is Hubcap Heaven, or it may have a different name since the last time I was there. It's still there, last I noticed.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:19 PM

176 posts, read 173,743 times
Quote:
The same wonderful smell of freshly baked bread emanated from the Holsum bakery on Black Canyon/I-17 around Adams...mmmmm
University Park (Pool) was just east of 15th Avenue on Van Buren. I swam there from the time I could sit at the shallow end of the kiddie pool. I can still remember walking inside and walking under the shower head to wash down.
I remember the old train that sat nearest to Van Buren. My father was a baker at Holsum Bakery, age 19, and that is where he met my mother who was in bookkeeping. During the 50s and my high school years, the current Oaxaca Mexican Restaurant at 1516 W. Van Buren was a car hop place. I went to Capitol School west on Van Buren (it's still there but greatly changed). The house my grandfather built in 1910 on Laurel Avestill stands but many changes have taken place since my grandmother moved in 1954. At the south end of Laurel, facing Van Buren, was a market... may have been Safeway or AJ Bayless and that is where we shopped. Memories memories...

Old 06-10-2011, 11:25 PM

13 posts, read 14,479 times
Perhaps my question regarding the animal show was about something a bit too obscure for most anyone to remember. I've seen a few posts here about Mr. Lucky's but don't recall anyone mentioning anything about the "feather girls" who worked there. I knew someone who bartended there in the late 60's early 70's when Bob Sikora owned it, and told me some interesting stories about it to be sure. Is there anyone here who worked there during that time or who remembers what it was like? I'd be interested to hear anything anyone recalls from then. Thanks in advance. I'm new on the forums but appreciate reading the memories shared here.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:33 PM

153 posts, read 186,351 times
Quote:
EPA had something to do with the bread smell not emanating in the area now...or so I was told.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:36 PM

153 posts, read 186,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It still does. (Van Buren just W of 7th Ave). Sara Lee took it over recently, though, I'm not sure what they are making there-- I haven't smelled bread lately.
That was Rainbow bakery at that location.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Status: "Wake me up when September ends!" (set 12 days ago)

3,456 posts, read 4,405,806 times
When I was very young, we lived near 40th Street and Bell Road, which back in the 1960s was the outer fringes on the north side. There was hardly any development in that area at the time ... so we always went into Sunnyslope to get our gas and groceries. A.J. Bayless and Lucky were the main supermarkets in Sunnyslope back then. If I remember correctly, Sunnyslope was still a separate town and had not been annexed into Phoenix yet.

Nowadays, Sunnyslope is just another district of Phoenix, and is even considered north central. Over the years, it has become somewhat run down ... but it still retains a strong community sense. I have hopes for Sunnyslope that it will someday be revitalized and gentrified. It certainly has potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area