U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 03:22 PM

181 posts, read 989,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I moved to the Valley in 1986 and caught the tail end of the old Valley and Phoenix the way it used to be. The Valley still had an air of small town charm and joi d'vire - now long gone. Thinking of that always make me wish I had moved here sooner.
Ditto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 05:25 PM

919 posts, read 2,946,244 times
Here's a view of a certain landmark mountain back in the 20s. Too bad a distant relative hadn't bought up the vacant land - Scottsdale and East Phoenix looked pretty vacant at the time.

View from Hole in the Rock looking towards the future Sky Harbor area:

http://www.sierraestrella.com/p/papago_21b.jpg (broken link)

It's from this site (which has a lot of other great historic info.)

Old 11-13-2007, 08:14 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,821,562 times
I remember the old Colonnade Mall and the old Christown - that had a Broadway store not a Wal-Mart. I remember when the Biltmore faced an empty field across Camelback. I remember when I17 was the only freeway that went through town and Bell road had 2 lanes with citrus groves on each side. Jeeeze I must be old!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:40 PM

535 posts, read 1,225,773 times
It was Korricks, Broadway and I guess now Wal Mart. Do you remember the monkey and I think birds in their cages at Chris Town?

LF

Old 11-13-2007, 10:32 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
The ORIGINAL Goldwater's downtown

Then, the other Goldwater's at Park Central Mall - The Goldwater's were not open on Sunday - nor was Lou Grubb Chevrolet

I remember when only 1 drug store was ALLOWED to open on Sunday - and it was done in rotation

Old 11-13-2007, 10:43 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,070,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
It was Korricks, Broadway and I guess now Wal Mart. Do you remember the monkey and I think birds in their cages at Chris Town?

LF
It was the wrong side of town but I remember a couple of trips to Chris Town. We spent a lot of time at Thomas Mall (wasn't it large fish tanks there?), Tower Plaza and the especially the Sears at 24th St and Camelback-southwest corner. Until the the Woolco store went in at Curry and Scottsdale Road in Tempe, then we shopped there. Those pre-K Mart and Wal Mart days seem so long ago.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:02 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
Before "Christown" - there was just "Chris" - an older gentlemen who owned the land where the mall was eventually built. Part of the "deal" was that it (the mall - the first enclosed A/C mall in AZ) was to be named after him - hence "Chris" town

And pre Park Central mall was the Central Dairy - Carnation Dairy was up the street a little - at Indian School - they had a great ice cream palor there too - YUMMY

Old 11-14-2007, 12:56 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,070,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Before "Christown" - there was just "Chris" - an older gentlemen who owned the land where the mall was eventually built. Part of the "deal" was that it (the mall - the first enclosed A/C mall in AZ) was to be named after him - hence "Chris" town

And pre Park Central mall was the Central Dairy - Carnation Dairy was up the street a little - at Indian School - they had a great ice cream palor there too - YUMMY
Forgot about Carnation's Ice Cream Parlor! Only went there once as a child. Thanks for finding a great memory buried under all the garbage in my head!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:23 AM

788 posts, read 1,854,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
I remember when Chris Town was one of the nicest malls in town. We used to shop at Korricks (usually at Christmas and my grandmother would bring home mysterious boxes wrapped at Korricks and we would wonder...) I remember the monkey and his owner entertaining kids at Chris Town.
LadmoFan
Didn't Chris Town have sand castles or something?

I haven't lived here my whole life, but I was here from shortly after birth till the age of 4, in 3rd grade and then again from 8th grade till now, so my memory of how it was in the late 70s and 80s is fuzzy.

But I vaguely remember the underground movie theater at Los Arcos, and my grandparents' monogram shop on 5th Ave in Scottsdale (it was open from the early 60s to early 80s). Downtown Scottsdale still had a lot of the old mom and pop stores when I was a kid. It wasn't corporate like it is now.

I do remember when I a little older, that Scottsdale was still not too developed past Chaparral Rd. I remember my parents driving us to Gilbert and thinking it was sooooo far, and now I live in Gilbert and it doesn't seem so far out anymore (because the construction is so far beyond Gilbert now).

Wish I had more memories to share, but the majority of my childhood was spent elsewhere, so my memories of Arizona are hazy.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:29 AM

788 posts, read 1,854,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
[b][color=darkgreen]
I remember Goldwater's department stores, which were owned by the Goldwater family, they had a store in Park Central mall, one in Scottsdale Fashion Square in the early 1960's, then another one opened in 1973, when Metro Center opened.
I had forgotten about Goldwater's. I'm not a big shopper, but the visual of the big sign on Fashion Square just popped into my head.

I also remember when Fashion Square was a typical mall, not fancy like it is now. And, I remember when Camelview was a separate shopping center, which you had to cross the street to get to, before it was assimilated by Fashion Square.

Ooooh, and I remember the real Cine Capri, not the wannabe Cine Capris popping up here and there.

And, I did also watch Wallace and Ladmo and even got to see them live one time. Never got a Ladmo bag though. My mom used to watch that show as well (she was here from the late 50s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or