Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 01:22 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
That's exactly why I wasn't allowed to attend South. I never swam at any of the city pools. I might have mentioned this before, but I remember a grocery store just south of Buckeye rd on Central called "Big Bear", and about a block away was the Lilly ice cream company.
I think I remember Lilly Ice Cream...couldn't you see the sign from the freeway? We had Lilly Ice Cream in elementary school lunches and they made eggnog ice cream which I hated! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 01:46 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,385 times
Does anyone have old aerial shots of Sky Harbor from around 1960? I'm trying to find the old dump. I checked google and can't find what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:11 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
Do you recall the beautiful glass sets given out by Blakely gas stations? They are worth a pretty penny if in good condition these days.
I have a few sets of the Blakely glasses, they came frosted and clear. The wooden tray and large pitcher you had to buy I think.

The oil can is now worth about $200.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-blakely-ad-cadillac.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-blakely-color.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-blakely-oil-can.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-blakely-set1.jpg

Old 06-18-2011, 05:16 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Oh yes, the 'cactus tumblers'...and you could always find the Blakely stations because they had the huge flags flying high. Did Blakely give out anything else besides the cactus tumblers? Seems like they did but I can't remember.
They had complete dinner sets but not very popular. Always had a free car, mostly Fords. There was also a huge traveling rocket ship that kids could walk through. There were two 'rocket attendants' dressed in their uniform to supervise and keep kids from playing with the 'atomic power supply' and controls which were 'up, down and land.' The rocket was on a trailer so you walked up the back and came down the front.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-blakely-51-ford.jpg

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-blakely-ad-dinnerware.jpg

Last edited by roosevelt; 06-18-2011 at 05:34 AM..

Old 06-18-2011, 08:05 AM

124 posts, read 318,371 times
Quote:
I think I remember Lilly Ice Cream...couldn't you see the sign from the freeway? We had Lilly Ice Cream in elementary school lunches and they made eggnog ice cream which I hated! lol
My dad was a big Lilly Ice Cream fan. He drove the whole family to the Company and would get ice cream for everyone and we'd eat it in the car. I'd forgotten about that...thanks for the reminder.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 AM

124 posts, read 318,371 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
they were here WAY before 1963, weren't they???.....I wonder if the guy who answered the phone at JCL for you got it wrong....

even our own Roosevelt goes back to before that!!
I looked John C. Lincoln on the internet and could find nothing about the man himself. That's why I called the hospital. The man knew only who Mr. Lincoln was for certain but was not 100 percent sure about the rest. He suggested I call the administration department that would probably know more but it's long distance for me so I decided to go with what the man said. At least we know a little about Mr. Lincoln and why he moved here even if the date is off. Someone can call locally and find out more. I live in Pinetop.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:40 AM

201 posts, read 544,869 times
When you called John C Lincoln xxx, perhaps you spoke with the ghost of the man himself LOL !!... JCL Hospital has been around a looooong time. Thanks for the update to the other members here too. I never knew the hospital had a second location etc.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:01 AM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Does anyone have old aerial shots of Sky Harbor from around 1960? I'm trying to find the old dump. I checked google and can't find what I'm looking for. Thanks.
I went to NETR Online • Historic Aerials and found some pics from 1957 and 1970. Looks like sand and gravel pits on south 40th. The 1957 pics are interesting because there's really not much east of 40th and south of the river, except for a couple feedlots and some agricultural fields, alfalfa or cotton, maybe? Also, the 161st had fighter aircraft at the time, F-86s, and the ramp is full of them. Also, the old (and at the time, only) Terminal 1 is visible with an old DC-3 on the tarmac. I remember going there as a little kid in the early 60s when TWA would fly in my grandparents from Chicago, and how noisy it was.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:06 AM

Wished I could have been inside Grady Gammage Auditorium on the campus of ASU for a concert. Driven by it a million times also but never went inside. Never even knew who he was either and lived in the Valley for over 20 years ...Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Seems like he designed quite a few buildings that are high profile. Here is a link for the tour of buildings at ASU! Enjoy!!

ASU Tempe Campus Tour: ASU Gammage

Old 06-18-2011, 09:14 AM

Sluggo, you are right. The trash dump and 40th street were right off the east end of the south runway. It made sweeping curve around the end as it went down into the river crossing. It washed out frequently when it rained. The smell was horrible and numerous trash trucks made it extremely dangerous to drive on. I think they started filling in and closing the landfill around 1978 or so. I could be wrong. There really wasnt a good place to view the aircraft on approach there unless you pulled out onto the dry river bed of the Salt River in a 4X4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area