U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2011, 05:55 PM

2,268 posts, read 3,542,799 times
Need some help here. This photo taken in Phoenix 1929; airplane is a Patrician, 36 passenger, 3 Wright Cyclone engines 550HP, Keystone made it.
Does the building far right look like Sky Harbor? That unfinished structure on the back of the building looks like one of the photos previously posted on this blog.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-h1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 06:16 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,506,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Good pictures Willie, I see a Boeing 707 on the left, not sure which variant, and possibly a Convair 440 propeller airliner on the right, parked on the tarmac at Terminal 2.

It was back in early and mid 1960s, I was a little kid back then, when I remember my father used to take us and watch airplanes take off and land, we used to park right off 24th street. It was a thrill to see the Boeing 707-320 and the new Boeing 727 take off and land, and it was especially thrilling to hear them when the pilots engaged reverse thrust after touch-down, and the ground shook from the sound the reverse thurst produced.

That's a good link also with the many good pictures, but I'm wondering about this one, a TWA Boeing 707-320 on final approach over Tempe, but is that the Salt River? From the title of the .JPG image file name, it must have been taken after a flood.
Looks like the prop-job may have 4 engines, a Lockheed Electra. Western flew them in the 50s and 60s, here's Terminal 1 in 1959. I noticed no fixed base operators (Sawyer Aviation, Cutter Aviation) on the southwest side of the north runway... not sure when they were built. Also attached, a plat showing the Arizona Kennel Club... Phoenix Greyhound Park?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-westernelectra.png  

Last edited by SluggoF16; 06-25-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 06:33 PM

42,664 posts, read 19,537,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Looks like the prop-job may have 4 engines, a Lockheed Electra. Western flew them in the 50s and 60s, here's Terminal 1 in 1959. I noticed no fixed base operators (Sawyer Aviation, Cutter Aviation) on the southwest side of the north runway... not sure when they were built. Also attached, a plat showing the Arizona Kennel Club... Phoenix Greyhound Park?
Ah, Lockheed Electra, thanks for the correction, I couldn't tell by that black & white picture how many engines it had.

I've also seen a couple of Lockheed Super Constellations up until the early or mid 1960s that were operated by TWA.

Western Airlines, that's another name from the past, I know they operated mainly Boeing 727s before they disappeared from Sky Harbor.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Ah, Lockheed Electra, thanks for the correction, I couldn't tell by that black & white picture how many engines it had.

I've also seen a couple of Lockheed Super Constellations up until the early or mid 1960s that were operated by TWA.

Western Airlines, that's another name from the past, I know they operated mainly Boeing 727s before they disappeared from Sky Harbor.
Just got this month's AOPA magazine, and a quiz about older and now defunct airlines referred to Western as "The Champagne Airline". Or as their animated ads said, "The onnnnllly way to fly!"

Old 06-24-2011, 07:55 PM

176 posts, read 182,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
For some reason your post reminded me of home economic classes in elementary school 7th and 8th grade (1958-1959). The class had several electric sewing machines and one old treadle machine. The teacher asked who would like to use the treadle and no one came forward so I said I would use it. I completed all my sewing assignments quite successfully on that machine and learned to love it. To this day I have a fondness for those old treadles. Something I wish the schools had done differently in those days is to make both home economic classes (for girls only) and shop classes (for boys only) coeducational. I'm sure many boys would have benefited from learning to cook and sew as would many girls from learning about electronics (I'm guessing that is one of the things they learned in shop). I know that I would have loved to have learned how lamps work so that I could have repaired my own when they ceased to work over the years rather than just throw them all away. Other than make lamps I really don't know what the boys did in shop.
I sewed on my grandmother's treadle machine....my little legs barely reached the floor, but it was a joy to use it. "Back then" we definitely witnessed the separation of the sexes ... even in the clothing we wore. The ONLY time we could wear jeans at West High was good ole' Sadie Hawkins day and we could forget the skirts and dresses and wear "boy clothes". But I gotta admit, I felt like a frilly missy when I wore my 2 horsehair crinoline slips under those skirts that had 15 yards of gathered fabric. My mother always made me "drop the skirt" when I whizzed in the house because I would sweep everything off her coffee tables.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:36 PM

124 posts, read 127,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
I sewed on my grandmother's treadle machine....my little legs barely reached the floor, but it was a joy to use it. "Back then" we definitely witnessed the separation of the sexes ... even in the clothing we wore. The ONLY time we could wear jeans at West High was good ole' Sadie Hawkins day and we could forget the skirts and dresses and wear "boy clothes". But I gotta admit, I felt like a frilly missy when I wore my 2 horsehair crinoline slips under those skirts that had 15 yards of gathered fabric. My mother always made me "drop the skirt" when I whizzed in the house because I would sweep everything off her coffee tables.
LOL! I had forgotten about those sometimes 50 yards of gathered and stiff net like material slips that made sitting down in a school desk especially challenging. I also had a "balloon" party dress. It's hard to explain but I'm sure you remember them too. Interesting fashion at that time, huh? I, too, liked feeling feminine but these days on HGTV you see very feminine women performing carpentry related jobs. I think it's neat that both male and female persons have more choices professionally these days. Change, for better or worse, is inevitable. I guess, we can only hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:19 PM

13,951 posts, read 16,892,767 times
Let's remember this thread is about PHOENIX memories, not those of past history generally. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:21 AM

427 posts, read 457,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
LOL! I had forgotten about those sometimes 50 yards of gathered and stiff net like material slips that made sitting down in a school desk especially challenging. I also had a "balloon" party dress. It's hard to explain but I'm sure you remember them too. Interesting fashion at that time, huh? I, too, liked feeling feminine but these days on HGTV you see very feminine women performing carpentry related jobs. I think it's neat that both male and female persons have more choices professionally these days. Change, for better or worse, is inevitable. I' guess, we can only hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
I'm sure you remember when the classifieds listed the help wanted ads as 'help wanted men' and 'help wanted women'...I tried explaining that one to my kids and they just didn't get it...I remember not being allowed to take some police science classes at PC because I was a woman and there were no women officers back then...just hadn't happened yet.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:26 AM

The pic of the TWA over the flooded Salt River is reminiscent of the big flood of February 1980. Heavy snow pack followed by several days of warm rain resulted in the release of lots of water downstream. No level-grade or culvert crossing such as Alma School or McClintock survived. The I-10 bridge was closed due to suspected damage, leaving only the old standbys, the Mill and Central Avenue Bridges. Since I lived north of the river and ASU was on the south, this looked like a problem, but it was easy just to drive to the zoo and park there, then bike it across Mill Avenue. Generally ASU students and faculty had it OK, as the heaviest traffic was Mesa and Tempe into Phoenix in the morning and the reverse in the evening. Used to watch the traffic from a friend's place in Hayden Hall back up northbound Mill where it bends at Gammage to Apache. We'd sit on the ledge and make bets as to how long the green Pinto would take to get from the crosswalk to a specific spot.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 AM

124 posts, read 127,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
The pic of the TWA over the flooded Salt River is reminiscent of the big flood of February 1980. Heavy snow pack followed by several days of warm rain resulted in the release of lots of water downstream. No level-grade or culvert crossing such as Alma School or McClintock survived. The I-10 bridge was closed due to suspected damage, leaving only the old standbys, the Mill and Central Avenue Bridges. Since I lived north of the river and ASU was on the south, this looked like a problem, but it was easy just to drive to the zoo and park there, then bike it across Mill Avenue. Generally ASU students and faculty had it OK, as the heaviest traffic was Mesa and Tempe into Phoenix in the morning and the reverse in the evening. Used to watch the traffic from a friend's place in Hayden Hall back up northbound Mill where it bends at Gammage to Apache. We'd sit on the ledge and make bets as to how long the green Pinto would take to get from the crosswalk to a specific spot.
I remember the normally dry Salt River bed after the release of water from the Roosevelt Dam. My dad always drove the family out to see it. It was quite a spectacle that you rarely see these days. I remember catching a Greyhound bus to visit my sister in Dallas many years ago and as we crossed over the Mill Avenue Bridge one of the passengers remarked loudly that there was no water in the river. He thought that was odd. Little did he know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area