Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 PM

88 posts, read 271,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
To clear up the name, its Sands (Chevrolet) not Sanderson. Thats the Ford dealership name. JP Sands (Chevrolet) lived at 51st Ave and Northern in Glendale. The dealership was on Grand Ave facing the railroad line in Glendale. His widow lived there after he passed away. They had the large piece of land all the way to Orangewood Ave. and west to 59th Ave. They sold the land to make the new Valley West Mall on 55th Ave and Northern. I was their paperboy for years. She wrote me a handwriiten recommendation letter for a college scholarship that the R&G was giving. I won one of two scholarships awarded that year. Her name is Mrs. JP Sands on the letter she signed.
Sands Chevrolet is located at 5418 NW Grand Ave, the same place it has been for decades. Until the 90's, Sanderson Ford was located at 5300 NW Grand Ave, about a quarter mile south east of Sands. Both dealerships have grown over the years; Sanderson still owns the old showroom on Grand Ave, but their new showroom is at 6400 N 51st Ave, while Sands fully occupies the triangle of land formed by Grand Ave, 53rd Ave and Maryland. The 'Pony Boy' Jingle was definitely Sanderson's:
Sanderson, Sanderson,
Buy your Ford at Sanderson
It makes good sense to buy your car
Where service is the best...

The Sands jingle I recall went something like:
Louie Sands, What a great, great guy!
Louie Sands, for great Chevy buys!
Out in Glendale ...

[mod cut--personal] I spend a total of 14 years working at Sanderson Ford.

Last edited by observer53; 07-13-2011 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 11:10 PM

54,476 posts, read 33,758,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
yes, I think he started at KUPD in the mid-70s as the wacky morning DJ....

was "released" from his gig at country station KMLE (Camel Country) a couple years ago.....and is now going to try some free-lance or something......

Is Dave Pratt headed to 98.7 The Peak? | Phoenix Airchecks
I guess all good things have to come to an end, I'm sure he'll do good in whatever he does next.

I also remember stations KRIZ and KRUX, both of which were AM "Bubble Gum Rock" stations, and both of my younger teen sisters, who were 12 and 15 in the mid 1970s, used to drive me nuts with their AM radio playing music from those stations.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:39 AM

201 posts, read 541,079 times
I am no expert on Glendale car dealerships and never claimed to be. I do know where the Sands dealership is [mod cut-rude] I was explaining to my fellow readers the name proximity ( Sands and Sanderson) [mod cut-- personal, response/reference to deleted material]

Last edited by observer53; 07-13-2011 at 10:09 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 01:08 AM

Anyone ever been to the Tovrea Castle on East Van Buren in east Phoenix? Drove by it a number of time but never went inside.

Here is the link for the City of Phoenix: TOVREA CASTLE

Old 07-13-2011, 01:27 AM

Did you know: Total of Resort/Hotel Rooms in Phoenix as of 2010: "59,000" Cool!!... Source: www.phoenix.gov per the Phoenix CVB.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:24 AM

24,171 posts, read 13,016,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
Wall-boy was never around when Gerald's monster came out to get Ladmo. lol
From the Wallacewatchers web site:

"Many fans have said that they thought Ladmo played the Monster. Well, here for the first time, it can be told that the Monster was played by two friends of Wallace. Bowie Adams and Larry Smith were both local heavyweight boxers who shared the duties of bringing Gerald’s muscle to life."

Old 07-13-2011, 09:33 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,149,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I remember the name W. Steven Martin, but I wasn't sure if he was a spokesman for a Ford dealership.

Speaking of DJs, Dave Pratt of station KUPD (a Rock station), didn't he quit and go to one of the Country stations some 10 years ago or so? I know he was with KUPD for a long time.

Also, I remember Larry The Cable Guy used to do his funny bits on station KDKB in the morning about 10 years ago by calling in on the show they had in the morning back then with the 2 DJs (forgot their names)
The 2 morning DJs on KDKB were the great Tim and Mark, they were there for probably over 15 yrs. The station has never been the same since they left, IMHO. And I hardly ever listen to it anymore!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:43 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,310,368 times
Many of you may remember the series "Alice" back in the late 70s and early 80s. Question was Mel's Diner based on anything real?
I have heard folks over the years insist that the prototype for the series was a diner in on Grand Ave in the vicinity of the intersection with Van Buren but I doubt that story.
The original movie "Alice" on which the sitcom was based was set in Tucson.
Do any of you know?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 AM

124 posts, read 316,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Many of you may remember the series "Alice" back in the late 70s and early 80s. Question was Mel's Diner based on anything real?
I have heard folks over the years insist that the prototype for the series was a diner in on Grand Ave in the vicinity of the intersection with Van Buren but I doubt that story.
The original movie "Alice" on which the sitcom was based was set in Tucson.
Do any of you know?
ALICE - Real Mel's Diner

Old 07-13-2011, 11:04 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,310,368 times
Where was the real Mel's Dinver located? Is it still there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area