Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 PM

285 posts, read 904,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
KPHO TV Channel 5 Phoenix had their Labor Day Muscular Dystrophy Telethon to support Jerry Lewis' kids each September. They had the car drive-up lane so people could stop by and make a donation from the car window on the east side of the building. I believe they had a large plexiglass box to place the monies in. The firefighters still have the boots out to collect donations in traffic at key intersections around the Valley. KPHO always seemed to beat their yearly local pledge goal. Thats the "positive can do" Phoenix I remember.
I volunteered to answer phones one year. They had me on some desks, placed on risers in studio B. I thought "this is so cool!", answering the phone during the overnight portion of the show eating free McDonalds food. Come to find out years later, the main telethon set was in studio A, then the studio of the W & L show and news. I was on the overflow set. No idea if I was shown during the telethon, in my leisure suit ('member them?!) purchased at Chess King, Los Arcos Mall .

These days, their news set in located in studio B while studio A is now their newsroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Chess King. Hadn't thought of them in years. I think I sold them ad space in our high school newspaper...

Old 07-13-2011, 11:21 PM

124 posts, read 318,335 times
Arizona Cardinals owners buy Tom’s Tavern in downtown Phoenix
February 2, 2011

Tom’s Tavern, a landmark downtown Phoenix restaurant that had been on the brink of closing, has a new owner dedicated to keeping it open and preserving its identity.
I attended business luncheons/meetings here occasionally while working at Mountain Bell in the 60's and early 70's. It was historic then and I'm so glad it was purchased rather than allowed to close.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
Arizona Cardinals owners buy Tom’s Tavern in downtown Phoenix
February 2, 2011

Tom’s Tavern, a landmark downtown Phoenix restaurant that had been on the brink of closing, has a new owner dedicated to keeping it open and preserving its identity.
I attended business luncheons/meetings here occasionally while working at Mountain Bell in the 60's and early 70's. It was historic then and I'm so glad it was purchased rather than allowed to close.
It isn't exactly a landmark, in name only at a different location. Has little to do with the original on Adam's Street that had the hamburger joint in front and the dingy pool hall in back. Ledbetter's sold the mahogany back bar in auction during the 70's so there was really nothing left of the place.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dawson Music.jpg
Views:	1198
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	82397

Last edited by roosevelt; 07-14-2011 at 05:54 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Bought my first car at Sands Chevrolet...Bill West was the used car mgr there (dad of a high school friend) and I purchased a '67 Ford Galaxie in '71 for $1200...what a car! I remember coming back from Rocky Point and we'd passed Lukeville and started cruising at 105 mph on highway (someone knows) and came into Buckeye maybe? Anyway, it was a great car and I keep looking for one when I go to car shows but never see a '67. Guess I'm the only one who thought they were great.
AZ 85, which also passes through the metropli of Ajo and Why. Other than that it's one lonely highway from Lukeville to The Bend. Notably it bisects the BMGR, where I spent a good chunk of time overhead. If you've driven that road you see signs like this, and every year we'd have intrusions into the impact areas... is this Darwinism?

My father in law has a 67 Galaxie on his farm in the pasture, unfortunately it's now used as a storage bin for junk. Rodent-infested, rusted-out, and full of tractor parts, I'm sure it was once a beauty.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-peligro.jpg  

Old 07-14-2011, 08:54 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,128 times
anyone recall listening to Toad Hall and Wonderful Russ on KDKB?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
And Linda Clayton...

Old 07-14-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
It isn't exactly a landmark, in name only at a different location. Has little to do with the original on Adam's Street that had the hamburger joint in front and the dingy pool hall in back. Ledbetter's sold the mahogany back bar in auction during the 70's so there was really nothing left of the place.
Attachment 82397
I thought I remembered it being on Adams but my memory isn't what it used to be so I thought that was the problem. Why are they acting like it's historic if it isn't even in the same location? I'm very disappointed to learn it is not the original. The article I read said they still serve the 1929 chile that was so popular. Hmmm... Thanks much for the update.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
Slowhand - my favorite Eric Clapton cassette. Is that where you got your moniker?

Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
Slowhand - my favorite Eric Clapton cassette. Is that where you got your moniker?
you guessed it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area