Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 02:08 AM

427 posts, read 1,178,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
I think he made a typo when he wrote that...should've been BGGR, I think????....Barry Goldwater Gunnery Range?....

Hmmm...don't remember that...was it there in the early 70's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 AM

24,167 posts, read 13,014,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Wasn't there a place in the Valley where new rock bands played called The Mason Jar? Seems like I recall a place by that name. Never went. Just remember hearing the valley events line-up a couple of times with this place mentioned. East siders? Scottsdale/Tempe anyone?
The Mason Jar was a rock/punk/New Wave club at 24th St. and Indian School. In either 1980 or 1981 I saw Wendy O. Williams and the Plasmatics there, a show to remember. Think I saw the Meat Puppets there as well.

Only time I went to Clyde's there was a band called "The Deloreans"(?) or something like that; I heard it burned down in 82 or 83.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 07-15-2011 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-15-2011, 07:29 AM

24,167 posts, read 13,014,616 times
Quote:
Hey SluggoF16.. you might know this? Is the Devil House in theTempe/Scottsdale river bottom gone... probably.. We were there a few times in the 80's ... assume you were there also. When did it close?
It was Mary's Place at one time, and when I lived in Tucson I heard it was Club Rio. the place reminded me of a warehouse or a really big pole barn. Don't know if it's open or not now, but I have spent a few dollars there on cheap beer and cheap, well, uh...

Last edited by SluggoF16; 07-15-2011 at 07:50 AM..

Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,184,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
It was Mary's Place at one time, and when I lived in Tucson I heard it was Club Rio. Don't know if it's open or not, but I have spent a few dollars there on cheap beer and cheap, well, uh...
Torn down.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:31 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,148,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
What about listening to "Bunkhouse Capers" on KDKB, starring Buck and Barry as well as Wonerful Russ and Linda Green. All under the direction of William Edward Compton.
I listened to KDKB from the start, but I can't remember "bunkhouse capers". How 'bout the "Rump Ranger " and his faithful side kick "Rauncho" !

Old 07-15-2011, 08:56 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,148,988 times
heres one for you KSLX listeners. Back in 1989, the morning show on Jones and Bob Boze Bell, pulled a major April fools day hoax. They announced on the air, that the station had been taken over and held hostage by the Pima indian tribe. The 911 lines were jammed up with calls, then the story got even bigger with the reports of a Albertsons on fire, and the tribe blocking off Pima rd.
It caused huge problems as you can imagine. Needless to say they were in deep doo-doo....no more April fools jokes after that!

Last edited by slowesthand; 07-15-2011 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: wrond call letters on radio station

Old 07-15-2011, 10:50 AM

285 posts, read 898,843 times
Quote:
Hey SluggoF16.. you might know this? Is the Devil House in theTempe/Scottsdale river bottom gone... probably.. We were there a few times in the 80's ... assume you were there also. When did it close?
Saw the Waitresses there, back when New Wave was the thing.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 PM

427 posts, read 1,178,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
The Mason Jar was a rock/punk/New Wave club at 24th St. and Indian School. In either 1980 or 1981 I saw Wendy O. Williams and the Plasmatics there, a show to remember. Think I saw the Meat Puppets there as well.

Only time I went to Clyde's there was a band called "The Deloreans"(?) or something like that; I heard it burned down in 82 or 83.
Does anyone remember a club/bar somewhere out around 40th St and Indian School Rd? It was on the north side of Indian School, just past a canal I think...maybe just behind a restaurant. It was kind of a college/yuppi hang out with imported beers and such...fabulous bread and cheese spread...something unique about it would be when you ordered a burger it was given to you raw and you went out back to the BBQ grills and grilled it to your liking. I once heard that they obtained their meat from the restaurant in front (left over steaks) and ground it themselves. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Or what about a place out on the west side...would've probably been rural Glendale back in the early 70's...ice cold beer and wine coolers and sand lot volleyball...this place backed up to a canal I think (probably the AZ canal)...college kids...somewhere out by Thunderbird School of Global Mgmnt I believe.

I just looked at this area on Mapquest and wow!!! As always, you can't go back...this area is completely built up now...what was once desert and somewhat out of town is now street after street of housing.

Last edited by trillcatz; 07-15-2011 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 07-15-2011, 02:32 PM

362 posts, read 1,691,404 times
Default The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Yes to Toad Hall...wasn't his partner Phillipa...Toad and Phillipa or something like that? I think I listened to KDKB in the early 70's...it seems like they were the first to go FM or something and we were oh so cool for listening to FM instead of AM KRIZ or KRUX.
Here they are. Toad & Philappa.

Who remembers Fran Bennet (KCAC-KDKB) ?
One bag of Clover Club potato chips if you can tell me what became of him?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-toad-family.jpg  

Old 07-15-2011, 03:18 PM

362 posts, read 1,691,404 times
Default Wonderful Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
What about listening to "Bunkhouse Capers" on KDKB, starring Buck and Barry as well as Wonerful Russ and Linda Green. All under the direction of William Edward Compton.
"This is Wonderful Russ for Lepla Moving and Storage..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area