Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 09:05 AM

7,064 posts, read 9,102,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Whilst searching for a map showing South Phoenix as a name, I came across an interesting find concerning Goodyear and am posting this, hoping a longtime resident here can answer...
A 1935 Arizona road map and a 1938 Rand McNally show Goodyear located east of the Gila River Ind. Comm., southeast of Phoenix, near Chandler off of then Hwy 87. Present day maps locate the city east of Buckeye/west of Phoenix on I-10. Outside of the Goodyear Rubber Co connection, are these two Goodyears the same town, moved for perhaps economical reasons?

http://www.arizonaroads.com/maps/1935-3.jpg

http://www.arizonaroads.com/maps/1938-3.jpg
Tried googling Goodyear history and can't find it. I've got a couple of old atlases. Here's a shot from the first, 1932, "Official Paved Road and Commercial Survey of the United States":

There's no Goodyear at all.

In the second, from 1940, "Collier's World Atlas and Gazeteer":

Shows Goodyear where your maps do. Shows a W. Chandler about where Ahwatukee is. Somewhere I've got a couple of road maps from that era. But I'll have to find them.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-img_1300straightcropsizesharp-800x600.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-img_1303straightcropsizesharp-800x600.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 11:24 AM

427 posts, read 1,178,300 times
Ok, I have one for you. Does anyone remember buying tortilla chips by the grocery bag (brown paper of course) and a paper cup of salsa from your local Mexican restaurant? This was before bagged tortilla chips at the grocery store. There was a little place at the Black Canyon and Bethany...south side of Bethany and west of BC...I don't remember the name but they had the thinnest, crunchiest chips! There is still a Mexican restaurant there now but it's a different owner. I stopped in last year for lunch and the food was pretty good. Just another old memory floating to the top.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B. View Post
Hello, All: I was born in 1953 on Williams Air Force base. My dad taught flying & he & my mother lived in Chandler. When I was 2 we moved to Tempe & a little house on 9th & Maple & later to a house on Tyler St. where a big ASU building is now. Back then Tempe was a tiny little burg with very little south of Broadway. All the malls at ASU were then streets that you could drive on. I remember when the original Tempe HS at University & Mill burned down & was replaced by a shopping center which is now also gone, I see.

Lots of good memories of Saturday matinees at the Fox Theater at 1st St. & Van Buren (shamefully demolished) & the Paramount (now the Orpheum), & the long-gone Strand Theater at 1st Ave. & VB.

When I was 5 we moved to 6831 S. 8th St. in south Phoenix, then mainly cotton fields & orange groves (& remember the Japanese flower gardens?). I went to South Mountain HS & worked at the Silver Dollar Drive-In.

I left Phoenix as soon as I could when I was 18 & seldom go back. It's no longer home!

Did you graduate in '71? I lived just south of Dobbins and graduated from SMHS also. Like you I've been gone many, many years. I finally went back to southside last year and oh my has it changed! lol much better than it was in the '60's. I found Turks listed in the phone book but it was boarded up when I went by.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2az2id View Post
Used to go to sheep bridge out bloody basin way. What great fun to swing out on the rope into the cool Verde River. Anybody else go out there?
Visited my first hot tub out at Sheep Bridge in '67...literally an old tub sunk down into a hot spring on the side of the Verde...have loved hot springs ever since. If you're an old timer you might remember ol' Claude's place.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:56 PM

4,235 posts, read 13,996,004 times
last time I was out to the sheep bridge, the hot springs area was still there....right next to the water, west side of the river, just north of the bridge....right??....very popular at times, I'm sure

you know they rebuilt the bridge several years ago, right?....after removing the old one for safety reasons, a public outcry led to the Forest Service building a new one nearly in the same spot

File:Verde River Sheep Bridge.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-21-2011, 06:42 PM

283 posts, read 875,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Tried googling Goodyear history and can't find it. I've got a couple of old atlases. Here's a shot from the first, 1932, "Official Paved Road and Commercial Survey of the United States":

Shows Goodyear where your maps do. Shows a W. Chandler about where Ahwatukee is. Somewhere I've got a couple of road maps from that era. But I'll have to find them.
Here's another link to the article that explains the town of Goodyear originally being in the SE Valley.

Driving Chandler's Streets (http://www.cgc.maricopa.edu/academic-affairs/library/communityhistory/Old%20Community%20History/Chandler%20Streets/ocotillo.html - broken link)

Old 07-21-2011, 06:57 PM

24,171 posts, read 13,016,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Ok, I have one for you. Does anyone remember buying tortilla chips by the grocery bag (brown paper of course) and a paper cup of salsa from your local Mexican restaurant? This was before bagged tortilla chips at the grocery store. There was a little place at the Black Canyon and Bethany...south side of Bethany and west of BC...I don't remember the name but they had the thinnest, crunchiest chips! There is still a Mexican restaurant there now but it's a different owner. I stopped in last year for lunch and the food was pretty good. Just another old memory floating to the top.
I remember my dad bringing home what you describe from near where he worked, at 7th Ave and the south side of the Salt River. They were slightly greasy and I'm sure it was killing him on the ride home, they were fresh.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
last time I was out to the sheep bridge, the hot springs area was still there....right next to the water, west side of the river, just north of the bridge....right??....very popular at times, I'm sure

you know they rebuilt the bridge several years ago, right?....after removing the old one for safety reasons, a public outcry led to the Forest Service building a new one nearly in the same spot

File:Verde River Sheep Bridge.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I was only out there 1x and that was in '67 but I've heard that the bridge was rebuilt. I believe in the '60's few folks knew about it...backpackers, hunters and the like did.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 PM

285 posts, read 898,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post

I'm still looking myself, though it is not a need to know thing. I thought maybe Coldwater could be early days Goodyear, as we know it today, turns out Coldwater is actually future Avondale.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 PM

7,064 posts, read 9,102,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Here's another link to the article that explains the town of Goodyear originally being in the SE Valley.

Driving Chandler's Streets (http://www.cgc.maricopa.edu/academic-affairs/library/communityhistory/Old%20Community%20History/Chandler%20Streets/ocotillo.html - broken link)
Thanks for the link. I always thought Goodyear was where it is now until Desertskies posted the map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area