Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 PM

285 posts, read 898,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Here's another link to the article that explains the town of Goodyear originally being in the SE Valley.

Driving Chandler's Streets (http://www.cgc.maricopa.edu/academic-affairs/library/communityhistory/Old%20Community%20History/Chandler%20Streets/ocotillo.html - broken link)
Kudos desertratz for the link.
Slowly it's coming together of why there was a Goodyear in the Southeast Valley, never really thought about it, the article explained it. Litchfield was probably a much better location.
I checked my copy of Arizona Place Names, page 183, and it reads:
Goodyear
In T 2 S., 5 E on Chandler branch of Arizona-Eastern R.R. 10 miles south of Mesa. Named after Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company of Ohio, which bought large tracts of land near here upon which to produce cotton.

It shows that Goodyear (at that location) first showed on USGS maps in 1923, though a search online doesn't show that map.

I guess my original question has been answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 06:34 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,581,260 times
There was some discussion in the past about the lone restaurant up on north Central below the canal that has gone through so many name changes. I knew it as the Arbor Steak House back in the 60's but ran across a menu and matchbook cover that must be the original name, Erbyderby's owned by a jockey. Anyone know?
Click image for larger version

Name:	erbyderby.JPG
Views:	813
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	82695

Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 PM

283 posts, read 875,259 times
Did anyone know that until 1940, Arizona used to have swastikas on their road signs? It was an indian symbol and was universally considered a good luck sign until the nazis ruined it for everyone. There's also a dam on the Colorado river witha bridge that was constructed in the very early 1900s that have swastikas cast in the concrete all along it's length. It seems strange to us now, but until WWII, no one thought ill of it.

clicking on the bridge images enlarges them
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...a_Swastika_Dam
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-swastika_azroadsigns.jpg  

Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 AM

201 posts, read 541,079 times
Do you remember The Phoenix Jaycee's Rodeo of Rodeo parades and activities? Chuckwagons and ropers etc. In addition, we used to take our Midwestern family to Rawhide in north Scottsdale and show them" the real old West". The looks on their faces during gunfights... Priceless. They were thinking it was real at times... especially the younger ones LOL!!. Everyone finally falling asleep in the car on the long drive back to the west side of town burnt from too much sun and not enough sunblock. Ah those Midwesterners. Gotta love em. The backbone of AZ tourism.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:39 PM

Here is a really old photo of Osborn school, 19th century. Note that Central is not paved and there are stone hitching posts. There also used to be 'upping stones (steps)' 'mounting blocks' and 'carriage blocks' at some of the old mansions on Central but all gone now. We do not save anything in Phoenix.

Click image for larger version

Name:	osborn school and house_wm.JPG
Views:	2141
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	82726

Old 07-24-2011, 12:29 PM

Goodyear was later changed to Litchfield after the company's president.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 PM

283 posts, read 875,259 times
Interesting aerial photo looking southwest into Sky Harbor from the area of 36th St and Jackson. The building being added on to in the foreground is the Garrett Airesearch facility which is still there and is now Honeywell. Notice in the background the old tower, but it's hard to tell if Terminal 1 is there also. Also note what appears to be a north runway that ends far shorter than it does today.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-sky-harbor-1950s.jpg  

Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 PM

111 posts, read 336,901 times
This is a fascinating picture. I can't remember the last date for steam locomotives, but I think it was before "terminal one," if by terminal one you mean the first building of the airport complexes near the south runway, the old 26L, 8R, now the center runway, (I think) 27R, 9L, or 25R, 7L. I would love others to analyze this truly interesting aerial photo. I have never seen such a good and telling photograph of the area. If I were unsure of its integrity (and I am convinced of its integrity) I would suspect it was a sophisticated collage because of the detail of the construction of the upfront building and the apparent modernity of the elements. In the background are the curvatures from taxiways to the old north runway 26,8 (slightly later to become 26R,8L), and possibly transit taxiways, and--just maybe-- the old, old terminal building on a latitude with Garrett thinly, barely visible through the locomotive's smoke, in the extreme right.

What a valuable contribution to our Way Back Machine. Thank you from the bottom of my ancient Phoenician left and right ventricles.

Last edited by jack swilling; 07-24-2011 at 09:02 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 AM

201 posts, read 541,079 times
The photo posted on the previous page showing Sky Harbor from 36th Street looking SW appears accurate to me as well. Im just not sure which side of the street the main buildings of Garrett Turbine were on. I wanna say they were north of Airlane Dr. SluggoF16 probably remembers also. I tried unsuccessfully to find info on the expansion/ entension of the north runway/8L/26R but didnt see anything. I wanna say extended sometime in the 1970s to handle larger jet transports. I know the south runway was extended as well as we have already discussed in earlier posts.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:42 PM

24,171 posts, read 13,016,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
The photo posted on the previous page showing Sky Harbor from 36th Street looking SW appears accurate to me as well. Im just not sure which side of the street the main buildings of Garrett Turbine were on. I wanna say they were north of Airlane Dr. SluggoF16 probably remembers also. I tried unsuccessfully to find info on the expansion/ entension of the north runway/8L/26R but didnt see anything. I wanna say extended sometime in the 1970s to handle larger jet transports. I know the south runway was extended as well as we have already discussed in earlier posts.
There were some Garrett/AirResearch buildings on the south side of Airlane as well; we had a "field trip" to one as part of my aero major at ASU, circa 1980.

The runway received an extension in the fall of 1978... it was an interesting aircraft checkout as I was not used to such a wide runway that was so short. The eastern half of the north strip was closed, leaving 3-4 thousand feet from 24th Street east to just past the Civil Air Patrol building on Airlane, about 26th Street. I was flying a C-172 and C-152 out of the ramp by the CAP building on the south side of Airlane, which I see from Google Maps is called Air Lane, and before that rented a couple of 150s from the same area.

It seems to have been the second such extension. In early 1978 or so, before the fall extension, I was taxied onto hold at the midpoint of the north runway in a Piper Archer and a TWA L-1011 was cleared to go behind me from the east end. Me: "Tower, 3243Q is STILL ON THE RUNWAY!" Tower: "Oh, yeah, TWA, hold your position, sorry about that 43Q..." That meant the total length must have been at least 7 or 8 thousand feet at the time. Looking at archived aerials it looks like the first extension took place in the mid-60s.

The previous photo shows what looks like a DC-3 parked west of the large building. Those were built starting in 1936, so that could be used as a date reference. (If a DC-2, then 1934)

It would've been something to see that old locomotive at the time. The only time I ever got to see something like that was the old tourist railroad in the White Mountains, and a working locomotive belching black smoke in the Turkish Thrace in the mid 80s.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 07-25-2011 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area