U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 PM

47 posts, read 60,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Heres another shot from 1952 showing Toms in the background. This apparently is a Shriners car wash parade thinghy or something like that.
So exactly where was the original location Roosevelt?
Does anyone remember the Shriner's building I believe is near the state Capitol. It is now a museum. I remember in the 70's the Shriners would hold Christmas parties and give out gifts to needy children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
In the summer of 1954, between my fourth and fifth grades, my mother gave me a membership in the downtown YMCA. One day one of the directors called most of us boys into a large room and told us that we had to get an adult to drive us home because the weather people had determined that winds at 80 mph were reported near Tucson and were approaching Phoenix. He said that it was possible that they would knock down tall buildings in Phoenix. We did what we were told. I called my grandpa and he picked me up.
We were on tenterhooks all the rest of the day. The tv and radio weather said very little, and there was very little wind, even though every time there was the slightest gust we said to ourselves, "Here it comes."
The next day there was a tiny piece in the paper that the telegrapher in Tucson had signalled that winds of 8 mph were blowing in the direction of Phoenix. The fellow had hit the zero key by accident.
A few years back I came across a reference to this on the internet. I have come across very few people who remember this though. I guess it was one of those things a smaller city wanted to forget.
I was only 5 then and do not remember this. Most likely we were sent home as well. I do remember walking back and forth to school. In the winter I had snow suit pants under my dress and would take them off and hang them up in the coat room. I remember have air drills and going to the coat room to hide during the drills. Do any of you remember those drills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
We arrived in Phoenix from Oakland, CA in '60 (I believe) and I remember walking across the tarmac...no jetways back then but there was blacktop. During those days you dressed up to fly...I had on maryjanes w/ lace top anklets, a dress, gloves and a hat...I was 6.
In the 50s and 60s a girl/woman would always wear a hat and gloves to go shopping or to church. Mom was a hat maker by trade so I always had a nice hat to wear with my dresses. The girls also wore netted petticoats. I remember shopping for them each summber before school started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom85014 View Post
I have attached a staff photo - unfortunately there were no names associated with it. Here is another set of kinder photos - not sure if they took a set in the fall and again in the spring?
I recognize Miss Johnson in the last row and Mrs. Bennett our principal in the front row. I am sure my other teachers are in the picture as well but I can not identify them. I do not remember any male teachers yet there are a lot of men in that picture. Edison had a few male teachers, two of which I had, Mr. Tempkin 6th grade, Mr. Van Hoy 7th grade and in 8th grade I had a female teacher Mrs. Baumann. Do you have any pictures of teachers at Edison from 60-63? In the mid 70s when I subbed for the district I subbed in my old sixth grade class room and noted that Mr. Tempkin, who we called Mr. Tin can had the same magazines he had when I was in his room. He was a very progressive teacher for his day and I saw that he had some of the same teaching lessons he did when I was his student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I have attached a staff photo - unfortunately there were no names associated with it. Here is another set of kinder photos - not sure if they took a set in the fall and again in the spring?
I do see my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Miller, in the middle of the back row. I also think I see my 4th grade teacher Mrs. Kotch. What I remember about Mrs. Miller is she had a beehive with bees and we studied bees all year around. She never did teach us the States and I did not learn them till I became a teacher. I do remember her drilling us on our multiplication tables and how we had to take a test folding our papers like fans every day till we mastered them.

In those days we had hot lunches for $.25. They gave us a token. Milk was 3 cents and icecream 5 cents. I worked in the cafeteria in 5th grade and earned my lunch. I remember at recess the teachers carrying their unbrellas. Today if it is too hot the children come in like they would on a rainy day. They call it a "red" day. I am sure that they are having "red" days this week as the Chandler Unified School District has started back. I think having a year around school starting school back in late July makes it very hard on the children and teacher even though we have AC.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:47 PM

361 posts, read 845,397 times
Default drivers training

Here's another of those drivers training photos. You can see The Westward Ho in the distance. The sign in front of the 20's era Ford says "Walkers".
Im guessing this image is looking NW.

Tell us again where was Garfield? The address?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-drivers-training.jpg  

Old 07-27-2011, 03:00 PM

1,926 posts, read 2,130,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneDeAz View Post
Does anyone remember the Shriner's building I believe is near the state Capitol. It is now a museum. I remember in the 70's the Shriners would hold Christmas parties and give out gifts to needy children.
I had heard the mines and minerals museum used to be the shriners building. So I looked it up.

Polly Rosenbaum Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-27-2011, 03:26 PM

19 posts, read 24,695 times
Quote:
The original building was at 911 E 13th St - the address of the current facility is 811 N. 13th St.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:27 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,677,539 times
Quote:
Here's another of those drivers training photos. You can see The Westward Ho in the distance. The sign in front of the 20's era Ford says "Walkers".
Im guessing this image is looking NW.

The school was at 12th Street and Roosevelt. This photo is way closer to the Westward Ho and dates from early 50's, the TV tower was installed in 1949 and I think I see a 1950 Buick. I can't place the location at all. The building behind might be a car dealer service plus all the strung light bulbs. Maybe near Van Buren and 2nd Street; there was a Ford dealer there and used car lots.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:23 PM

84 posts, read 108,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneDeAz View Post

I was living near 43 Ave. and McDowell and taught school in the Laveen school district which was located on 51st Ave. and Baseline. I had to take a city bus dowtown and than transfer to another bus to 35 Ave. and Baseline. There the school district supplied a school bus to pick us up and take us to the school. It took 3 hours each way rather than the 20 minute drive it would take when the bridges were up.
My mother taught at Laveen School throughout the 60's. We were living in Maryvale, so normally it was a quick shot down 51st Ave, after dropping my siblings and me at St. Vincent de Paul school, to get her to work. I do recall a particularly nasty flood when Mom had to drive to Central Ave. for a week or two to cross the Salt River.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:33 PM

84 posts, read 108,226 times
The original car dealership row in Phoenix - Phoenix History | Examiner.com

East Camelback Rd, home to many car dealerships.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:13 PM

111 posts, read 140,636 times
Does anyone have memories, stories, pictures of the old Washington Elementary School which was at 27th Avenue and Northern. I did not go there, but I was acquainted with it in the fifties and sixties, as I knew people who had taught there from the forties.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
The second set of kindergarten pictures must be the AM and PM class of the other teacher. All of us kids, that is my brother, sister and I had Miss Johnson so I never got to know the name of the other teacher.

Garfield school is on 12th street and Roosevelt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area