Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 06:30 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
You young un's...............I started out with a 4 Track tape player and wore out my Cream and Doors tapes at the river.

http://www.8trackheaven.com/4track.html (broken link)
lol I remember 4 tracks but I think it was early 60's wasn't it and I didn't get into music until '64. I'm not even sure when 8 tracks came out...I was really into vinyl until cassettes came out. I listened to the radio in the car...shoot, I thought FM was big!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
I'm sorry but my vote for good fried shrimp was Pete's Fish and Chips on the NW corner of Van Buren and 36th St. just west and across 36th St. from the Phoenix Drive In Theater. Nobody seems to remember it and say it's across Van Buren and east down by Bills Johnson's original restaraunt. It is there now but originally was as where I described. I lived on 35th st. and Pierce and remember walking down in second grade at Davey Crockett school (still there) to get lunch. I was pretty independent and didn't like the cafeteria food. There was a food market on 35th and Van Buren (nw corner) where we could get a hershey bar for a nickel. We also walked to an old market (even back then it was old) just south of Roosevelt on the east side of 32nd St. and it had wood floors. It's still there as a hispanic food market and there was an old grain silo behind it. I remember I saw my first Balsa wood airplane there in the little plastic bag with the plastic propeller and rubber band. The miracle in getting the little balsa plane together was stuffing the wing and tail feathers thru the flat body of the plane and still be in one piece. Life was so simple then and the plane would cost you .15 cents and provide days of pleasure in the summer sun flying it with just your shorts on and a pair of flip flops.
Yes, I remember the Pete's on the north side of the road. It caught fire in the mid/late 70's and they built the new one across and down the street. Not sure what the little store south of Roosevelt on 32nd st. may have been called before, but when I lived in that neighborhood, it was Danny's market.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:43 AM

155 posts, read 477,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
lol I remember 4 tracks but I think it was early 60's wasn't it and I didn't get into music until '64. I'm not even sure when 8 tracks came out...I was really into vinyl until cassettes came out. I listened to the radio in the car...shoot, I thought FM was big!
I had a factory 8 track in my 66 Mustang so they were around then.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:25 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
I had a factory 8 track in my 66 Mustang so they were around then.
I had a 1957 Chrysler 300 with that odd Highway Hi Fi record player in it, so that would be before the 8 tracks of the 60's. The record player only played records put out by Chrysler, mostly classical, Gene Autry, Disney, 101 Strings and so on. The heavy stylus wore the grooves out pretty fast.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 10,604 times
Default Cactus Stables

Does anybody remember where the Cactus Riding Stables, were located in North East Phoenix in the 1960's

Old 09-05-2011, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,775 times
played in that hole all the time.......also used to be sheep in the field there by pt coe school

Old 09-05-2011, 01:07 PM

220 posts, read 655,632 times
Default Union Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
I called my 85 year old uncle on this memory just tonight... he said that my mother (his sister) would drive us to the Ice House East of 19th ave, south of Grand Ave, they would get the block of ice and he was allowed to drive home. He said that is how he learned to drive...so he has fond memories of that ice house.
I am cleaning up my desktop and I keep running into this photo I took of a small pin that belonged to my grandfather. Many posts back there were discussions on the ice companies in Phoenix, and although most of us recalled The Ice House, some of us wondered about the ice house just south of Grand Avenue, east of 19th Avenue. My Uncle tells me that my grandfather worked at Union Ice for many years. This pin was an anniversary pin with 2 small diamonds for the years of service.
IMG]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee317/crayola58a/UnionIceCompany.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I had a 1957 Chrysler 300 with that odd Highway Hi Fi record player in it, so that would be before the 8 tracks of the 60's. The record player only played records put out by Chrysler, mostly classical, Gene Autry, Disney, 101 Strings and so on. The heavy stylus wore the grooves out pretty fast.
Didn't 4-track come out before 8 or am I confused?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyJ View Post
Does anybody remember where the Cactus Riding Stables, were located in North East Phoenix in the 1960's
Wow! I sure remember the name...I'm thinking I went riding there as a kid but have no mental photo at all. That wasn't the stable out on Washington was it? I sure remember the name...was it out by Cactus Rd?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 PM

283 posts, read 880,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Didn't 4-track come out before 8 or am I confused?
4-track was the brain child of Earl "mad man" Muntz in the first half of the 1960's. Bill Lear of Lear Jet fame was licensed as a distributor and improved on the design and came up with 8-track. Ford Motor Company liked the 8-tracks and started making them an option in their cars around 65 or 66. The 4-tracks had better sound quality, but this was just an early version of the Beta vs VHS or the Blu Ray vs Super DVD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area