U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 AM

427 posts, read 457,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru View Post
I'm sorry to necropost. But would you mind sharing the history of what you know on it?

A friend and I have been looking up everything to do with the place and can barely find anything. We went to the Burton Barr Library in Phoenix AZ to try to find information and found some good stuff, but nothing about what we really wanted to know...

Like why it was closed down. Why it became Patterdell and why they had to change the symbol and name... A more thorough explanation on what exactly happened there... and what could have made it haunted to this day.

I've heard rumors about satanist rituals and such, but am far from finding the truth.

So if you can share what you know or where to find out, I'd be much appreciated.
lol no satanic rituals there in the late '60's. I remember the name Patterdell or Patterdell Pines was the Good Shepherd retreat up in Prescott near the GSC Camp Marapai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 PM

27 posts, read 49,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBaroness View Post
I feel so bad for Bill and Susan Heywood. When I moved here in 1961 Bill was broadcasting from the original KUPD station in Guadalupe, a tiny little building with just enough power to reach the city limits. We were introduced by a friend, Vic Wilmot, and Bill and I dated a couple of times. He was a lovely guy and my husband and I used to bump into him over the years at different venues. He will be missed. Condolences to their daughter Nicole.

I too was very surprised and saddened. I listened to him for years when he was at KOY, and then to Alan Chillicothe in the afternoon.

Here are a couple clips off of YouTube:

Rocky
KOY Bill Heywood Rocky TV - YouTube

12 News with Bill Stull
The Making of KOY Heywood "Piece of Cake" TV Commercials - YouTube

Old 01-05-2012, 05:51 PM

266 posts, read 331,425 times
I had the pleasure of working with Bill Heywood by manning his camera when he dropped by a Phoenix TV station in the 90's, to produce a PSA. He was a very nice guy who had no problem with starting over if some technical issue came up. He was very much a professional. Even though I met him once, I see his passing as a stunner. May he and Susan both RIP.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 PM

13,953 posts, read 16,892,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian740 View Post
I too was very surprised and saddened. I listened to him for years when he was at KOY, and then to Alan Chillicothe in the afternoon.

Here are a couple clips off of YouTube:

Rocky
KOY Bill Heywood Rocky TV - YouTube

12 News with Bill Stull
The Making of KOY Heywood "Piece of Cake" TV Commercials - YouTube

Thanks for those great memories. There's a link to the making of the commercials one on azcentral right now, too. http://www.azcentral.com/video/33898070001

BTW, Chillicothe is a city in Missouri-- the DJ was Alan Chilcoat. REALLY nice guy, as well.

Last edited by observer53; 01-05-2012 at 09:04 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 PM

93 posts, read 90,533 times
I will also miss Bill Heywood. What a great guy! I remember when he was into jogging. I also remember how sad he was when John Lennon was killed. He made us laugh all the time with a wonderful radio voice and a great sense of humor. Seems like he worked Las Vegas for a year or two when he left a Phoenix radio station. He then returned; I think it was a contract obligation.

Thanks Roosevelt for the South Plaza Pic! That brought back a ton of memories!

The bank robbery at South Plaza - It was the employee's body they found not the robbers.

Yes! The White Horse Tavern on South Central, that was where the big white horse stood..

Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,330 times
Unhappy More about Bill Heywood

Over the past couple of days thoughts of Bill have been popping up in my memory. Does anyone remember when he saved his daughter Nicole's life when her long hair got caught in the pool drain? It was on the news and in the AZ Republic.

After the first film was made about the JFK assasination, there was a private press screening (I think it was at the old Palms theater on Central). Bill called and asked if my husband and I would like a couple of tickets, to which I said, "Oh yes, thank you!" Every big name in the city was in attendance and then there was "us." I remember Bill just smiling at us sort of conspiratorially, which made me crack up. He will be so terribly missed even though he wasn't on the air recently. He's a piece of my personal history after almost 52 years in the valley.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:44 AM

13,953 posts, read 16,892,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBaroness View Post
Over the past couple of days thoughts of Bill have been popping up in my memory. Does anyone remember when he saved his daughter Nicole's life when her long hair got caught in the pool drain? It was on the news and in the AZ Republic.

After the first film was made about the JFK assasination, there was a private press screening (I think it was at the old Palms theater on Central). Bill called and asked if my husband and I would like a couple of tickets, to which I said, "Oh yes, thank you!" Every big name in the city was in attendance and then there was "us." I remember Bill just smiling at us sort of conspiratorially, which made me crack up. He will be so terribly missed even though he wasn't on the air recently. He's a piece of my personal history after almost 52 years in the valley.
I do remember what happened to Nicole as a child. Funny story about the movie screening. You probably puzzled the others there as to who you were and why it was they didn't recognize you...

Old 01-07-2012, 01:54 PM

57 posts, read 84,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
The big white horse was the White Horse Tavern...just north of Southern I think...maybe by the bowling alley?
The White Horse Tavern was next to the first Jack-In-The-Box on south Central.When the original Jack in the Box was torn down and replaced by a new JITB with inside seating,what had been the White Horse lot became Jack's parking lot.McDonalds was next to the bowling alley.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 PM

427 posts, read 457,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzSon View Post
The White Horse Tavern was next to the first Jack-In-The-Box on south Central.When the original Jack in the Box was torn down and replaced by a new JITB with inside seating,what had been the White Horse lot became Jack's parking lot.McDonalds was next to the bowling alley.
lol my memories of south Phoenix date back before Jack-In-The-Box, Taco Bell, Burger Chef, etc. When I came back to Phoenix in '67 the above mentioned fast food places were there. Before that we had Turks, Grimes and a few other places. Does anyone remember a bbq place on the west side of Central and south of Broadway? I seem to remember it was a dumpy place with rusty screens at the counter (remember the sliding screens at the walk-up windows - this was long before drive through windows). They made really tasty bbq sandwiches...it may have been gone by '67-'68.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:17 AM

93 posts, read 90,533 times
I do not remember the bbq place but I do remember going bowling at the bowling alley (west side of Central). I think it became a thrift store and probably still is. Does anyone remeber the one indoor theatre on South Central West side of Central)? I cannot remember the name but maybe I can dig around and find a 1959 phone book I have. The theatre became a Salvation Army store and might still be one. There was also a skating rink that later became a thrift store but the building eventually burned down (East side of Central). My wife went there as a little kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area