Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 05:06 AM

93 posts, read 253,755 times

Advertisements

It has been many years but I am sure Pinnacle Peak had about a million cut-off ties hanging from the ceiling. We only went there once or twice; it was a long distancefor us. I seems like one of the restaurants in a remote area had to truck water in using a military style water trailer. We used to call them water buffalos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 08:32 AM

220 posts, read 655,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
You are welcome.............
Attachment 90269

Attachment 90270
We West High kids in the fifties hung out at Three Palms. We drank Vanilla cokes, played the juke box if we were inside, giggled at the guys if we were doing the car hop bit....It was our hangout ..it's been a long long time but I think I recall the North High students hung out at Black Swan, and wasn't The Polar Bar just an open hangout place for all kids in all schools.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:53 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wendell View Post
It has been many years but I am sure Pinnacle Peak had about a million cut-off ties hanging from the ceiling. We only went there once or twice; it was a long distancefor us. I seems like one of the restaurants in a remote area had to truck water in using a military style water trailer. We used to call them water buffalos.
Water buffalos were sandals back in my day.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:16 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
There has been some interest in Sportsman's Park on Osborn and 7th Ave. Here is a set of photos that show just about nothing except that it was not just a harness racing track. Is 7th Ave. right, or was it 3rd Ave.?
Click image for larger version

Name:	phx sportsman park album page.jpg
Views:	1639
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	90323

Old 01-29-2012, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,915 times
I lived here for about a year in 1981. I worked at The Gap in Park Central Mall. Sometimes I got sent out to work at Metro Center to pick up extra hours and it was amazing to me...and indoors with AC!...unlike Park Central. I lived at 21st and Indian School with a guy that worked at a Hospital really close. Somebody told me there was a hospital at 19th and Indian School back then so that is probably it. I also lived in a 5 story apartment building near Park Central. When passing thru in 1990 I couldn't find that place. Phoenix had already changed so much! In fact I didn't find that place until I was invited to a friend's who lived there at about 5th street and Osborn. It was buried under all the new high rises on Central.
I remember visiting Scottsdale Civic Plaza with its modern low rise City Offices and the grassy path and fountains. People used to just go and wander around there in the evening.
My favorite restaurants were My Pi Pizza and Duck and Decantur (sp) on Camelback. It was nestled way back off Camelback in a grove of trees and there was just a gravel road to get back there. Of course there was no 51 freeway behind it in 1981 either.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,369 times
Does anyone remember a spot called Ship Rock? It was a large hill southwest of Camelback Mountain and we would drive up to the top and smoke pot and drink beer when we were teenagers because we had a 360 degree view and could spot any cops at least a quarter mile away if they tried to catch us

Old 01-29-2012, 05:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMerrill View Post
Does anyone remember a spot called Ship Rock? It was a large hill southwest of Camelback Mountain and we would drive up to the top and smoke pot and drink beer when we were teenagers because we had a 360 degree view and could spot any cops at least a quarter mile away if they tried to catch us
Do you mean this? Rose Pauson Residence, "Ship Rock" (1939) - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/donkeyfunk/sets/72057594100018689/ - broken link)

Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 PM

252 posts, read 953,221 times
Default Wow. Took me a week to catch up...

I was really busy the last two years planning my 30th Reunion (Washington '81 Go Rams!) from out of state and hadn't been back to this forum or thread.
I want to thank everyone especially Roosevelt and Westside Willy for all the memories and history that I did and didn't know. I moved to Phoenix in '71 at age 8 so a lot pre-dated my time.
It took me a week to catch up so I forgot half of what I wanted to comment on but oh well. I'm soooo homesick for Phoenix now.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Aid to Zoo horse shows that were held every year in the coliseum. They were huge A rated shows with every kind of horse and class possible. Amanda Blake used to exhibit her Shetland harness ponies in full "Miss Kitty" get up. I had programs but when I moved to Oregon in '85 (sob sob) I tossed them all. The Scottsdale Arabian show was mentioned and the Jaycees Rodeo of Rodeos but I don't remember the A to Z shows. A friend of mine drove me past her old house in Arcadia when I was in town last October.

Miracle Mile was mentioned multiple times, there is a new one in Scottsdale and one open at Colonade, I ate there twice, many of the employees are from Chris-Town. The brisket on onion roll is the same as it has been for thirty years. Soooo good.
There is a deli still in Park Central in the Miracle Mile location with the koi pond out back, food is the same as Miracle Miles but the name is now Park Central Deli, does anyone know why the change? I worked in Park Central in '81-'83 and last ate there in 2005.

I miss Bob's Big Boy and will miss Marie Callander's they both had outstanding salad bars. Chris-Town (Bob's) and 23rd Ave & Northern (Marie's) were "mine".

I've eaten at both Monti's locations 19th Ave and Tempe and they were so good. I think I'll have to eat at the Tempe one next trip to Phoenix if I can pass Rosita's which I dearly love. I had forgotten all about them until I read this thread.

I miss Mother Tucker's they had great prime rib and salad bar and a nice patio with city views from their Lincoln Drive location. Once drove all the way across Vancouver BC because I saw a billboard for one and while it was the same chain the food wasn't even close to as good...

Another favorite restaurant I think is still open, My Mother's on 19th Ave and La Pinata too but boy, has that street changed for the scary. Much like Metro Center. so sad. La Pinata is still excellent if one can get past the neighborhood....

Another plug for a still open long time Phoenix restaurant. Raffaele's Pizza on 19th Ave at Glendale, across from what used to be Gemco. Still there after decades and still delicious. The original Aquino family has retired but sold it to a long time employee. Get the Sicilian. If you went to Washington they still do the lunch special.....though the campus is now closed

Old 01-29-2012, 08:21 PM

285 posts, read 904,715 times
Haven't thought of My Mothers or La Pinata in years.
The pizza from Mothers reminded me of drywall with tomato sauce poured on it but her dinners were great, especially the roast beef and mashed potatoes. I could never figure the reason why one was subpar and the other excellent.
La Pinata is my one of my mexican restaurant of choice, the other being Garcias on 35th Ave. The food was priced a little high but the portions made it worth it.
I'm hungry for tacos now...

Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 AM

111 posts, read 338,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
We West High kids in the fifties hung out at Three Palms. We drank Vanilla cokes, played the juke box if we were inside, giggled at the guys if we were doing the car hop bit....It was our hangout ..it's been a long long time but I think I recall the North High students hung out at Black Swan, and wasn't The Polar Bar just an open hangout place for all kids in all schools.

There was a place in the fifties near Three Palms--Was it Three Palms?--that was like a fifties or forties drive-in in the movies. I worked one summer for my uncle, when I wasin grade school, and we'd drop in for breakfast. These rough guys with Camels and Luckies and with black leather jackets over tee shirts in the summer, or shirtless, with tatoos and more hair on their bodies than I had on my head would prance in and try to pick fights with one another while they ordered and devoured their stacks of panny cakes and guzzled coffee. Visibility was down to zero with the smoke. Cycles and hog-like cars and trucks outside.

It was on the east side of Seventh Avenue, just above (north of) the Melrose curve, and south of the canal (near Turney?).

The scene would scare me into a very good boy for most of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area