Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 04:28 PM

37 posts, read 146,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wendell View Post
My wife worked there in about 1970. It was called the Hallcraft Showcase of homes. Hallcraft built many homes, some had an acre such as Sunburst Farms. Our first house was a shiny new Hallcraft because we got a nice discount for my wife being an employee. It was right by 35th Ave & Thunderbird. That was a 4 way stop in those days and everyone teased us about being so far out, like half way to Prescott.

It seems like there was a lady who did a lot of advertising for Hallcraft; I think something like Jeanie Mesgar (something like that). When the showcase ceased to be the homes were sold and some, maybe all, were moved. One ended up in Holly Acres an unincorporated County area near 99th Ave & the Salt River channel.
Jeanne Metzger is who you're thinking of:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hallcraft.jpg
Views:	1644
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	91999

Name:	Hallcraft II.jpg
Views:	2263
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	92000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,622,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian740 View Post

Attachment 91999

Attachment 92000
I went through the showcase of homes. At the time I noted the bedrooms had a whole wall of mirrors and the living rooms had 3/4 size furniture.

I also pointed out when at the Sunburst Farms that the one acre model in the sales office was not to scale; you could not possibly fit that house, animals, stables and barn on one acre.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:34 AM

93 posts, read 253,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is a whole car lot for you, including the mighty Metropolitan doing battle with the gas guzzlers.
Attachment 91978
Great picture. I wonder what the newest car there is? We did a couple of antique shows there many years ago selling antique jukeboxes and other stuff.

I had a friend who bought a 1956 Ford Sunliner convertible. It had caught fire in the Park Central Mall parking lot. The whole interior was burned out but the rest was fine. We replaced all the damaged parts and it was a beautiful car.

I suppose Park Central could not compete with the air conditioned mall such as Christown?

Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian740 View Post

Attachment 91999

Attachment 92000
Yes! It was Jeanne Metzger. Amazing Pictures! I think she had some sort of radio show or maybe it was an infomercial type thing. It seems like John Hall or some high level employee was wounded in a shooting at some time.

At one time they designed a home made mainly of fiberglass. We toured them several times; they just did not seem right. They were not a good seller if any sold at all.

We thought the quality of the Hallcraft homes was OK. Perhaps that was because a Hallcraft was our first home and my wife worked there. I do remember the small furniture in models. I think the Sunburts Farms homes were several thousand more with the advertised acre. We always wished we had bought one. Our new home was about $19K and had a 2 car carport on a tiny lot.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:32 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,382 times
Quote:
Great picture. I wonder what the newest car there is? We did a couple of antique shows there many years ago selling antique jukeboxes and other stuff.

I had a friend who bought a 1956 Ford Sunliner convertible. It had caught fire in the Park Central Mall parking lot. The whole interior was burned out but the rest was fine. We replaced all the damaged parts and it was a beautiful car.

I suppose Park Central could not compete with the air conditioned mall such as Christown?
the Metropolitan looks like a little pedal car out there! Might be a "56 or "57 Caddy across from it.
What is that red car on the right hand side with the rear side windows slanted back, some kind of Rambler or Packard maybe?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Francis Poage did the antique shows there. All the dealers had to leave their tables in the open mall all night; anyone could have come in at night and stolen stuff. One year she left her son in charge as security guard, turned out he eloped with his girlfriend and left the mall unguarded all night. Another time, in the early morning a different guard could not be found, he was having a very casual breakfast in Guggy's. No one stole anything though. Keep in mind the antique show went from Goldwaters down to Diamonds and then over to Penney's, there were five ways to walk in to the open mall.

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-06-2012 at 10:18 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
the Metropolitan looks like a little pedal car out there! Might be a "56 or "57 Caddy across from it.
What is that red car on the right hand side with the rear side windows slanted back, some kind of Rambler or Packard maybe?
Here is a better image, can't do much with the crummy quality of a postcard. I'm thinking the newest car is a '57 Cadillac. The red car is a '56 Rambler, who would drive one of those things?

Name:	DSC00172.JPG
Views:	1399
Size:	533.8 KB
ID:	92033

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-06-2012 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Francis Poage did the antique shows there. All the dealers had to leave their tables in the open mall all night; anyone could have come in at night and stolen stuff. One year she left her son in charge as security guard, turned out he eloped with his girlfriend and left the mall unguarded all night. Another time, in the early morning a different guard could not be found, he was having a very casual breakfast in Guggy's. No one stole anything though. Keep in mind the antique show went from Goldwaters down to Diamonds and then over to Penney's, there were five ways to walk in to the open mall.
We did 3 or 4 shows with Francis at Park Central. Good security was promised. I never knew the real story, obviously. We had a lot of stuff and always several old jukeboxes. I do remember worrying about the rain, wind etc. Sounds like we were very fortunate not to have lost anything. Metro Center was the best but they only allowed several shows and then no more. We did sell a lot of stuff. The Colonade was good too. Every so often I still see Francis around town.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
I believe the rear windows slated back in about 1956 Ramblers. We had some friends who bought one. They were disappointed in it.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 AM

46 posts, read 116,014 times
Default I remember....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedGlory View Post
I think my favorite place in my youth was La Palma on East McDowell
I went to La Palma on 20th Street and McDowell from when I was in diapers until the place was razed to make room for the State Route 51 in the mid-1980s (when I was is my 20s).

It was owned by Jimmy Ganem, and later run by his son of the same name. Our favorite waitress was Patty, who eventually retired and moved to Pinetop.

They had great food and the best hot sauce in town, and their cheese crisps were unequaled. The elder Jimmy was a fixture at the cash register by the front door, usually solemn but always quick to strike up a conversation with.

After losing the building on McDowell to make room for the parkway, they started a couple of new La Palmas farther north. They had a location near 7th Street and Hatcher, but it closed just a few years after opening. They had another spot on 43rd Avenue just north of Bethany Home that continued to operate for many years but was eventually torn down and replaced with an auto-parts store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area