Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 03:54 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times

Advertisements

Last post failed so will try again. There is a Taco Bell in the photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sdfer.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	93946
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
haven't had a Jack Taco in many years....is it, or the Monster Taco, still an utterly greasy, flattish thing that needed tons of sauce???
Yes they are exactly the same except the Monster Taco is just larger...and don't forget the mystery meat. A friend came from AZ to visit me and when I picked him up at SLC airport he handed me a "gift"...a couple of jack tacos...it doesn't make any difference whether you eat them hot or cold...they're still good/bad (take your choice).

Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Yeppers!!
No more Jack (Monster) Tacos. Now two regular tacos for 99 cents.

And they're sooo goood!!! Two tacos and a medium chocolate shake...I'm good to go.
Many years ago, when moving back here to the Valley from Florida, I had a craving for some JitB tacos. Couldn't get one until San Antonio. I made a special trip of leaving the interstate to get a couple when I saw a Jack restaurant. They taste the same after all these years and before. Now if I can't get a JitB taco, I'll accept a Del Taco taco, but that's another thread.
We don't have J-i-t-B in UT at all...lol I must go out of state for my taco fix. Whenever I travel and see a J-i-t-B I have to stop...it's taco time! So I guess now I'll have to order 2 tacos. I mean seriously...where can you get a hand-held "meal" for 50 cents. lol

Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 PM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
We had a 50 Ford panel truck with a flathead 6 who's rings were only a distant memory. Remember the refined used motor oil that was sold in glass quart jars with metal spouts? Yep, that's what we ran in it and we ran ALOT of it in it. ...
Wasn't it called "Rev Motor Oil"? Only available in 30 weight, they sold it at Circle K for about 29 cents a can (late 70s). I ran it in my Camaro after the engine got overheated, bought it quite often near ASU.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 AM

93 posts, read 253,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
We had a 50 Ford panel truck with a flathead 6 who's rings were only a distant memory. Remember the refined used motor oil that was sold in glass quart jars with metal spouts? Yep, that's what we ran in it and we ran ALOT of it in it. It looked like we were fogging for mosquitoes going down the road. At least we weren't bothered by tailgaters. We got brave and drove it to San Diego one weekend and used 19 quarts for the round trip. Never got a ticket, even in California. My dad finally said, "fix it, sell it or I'll scrap it!".
19 quarts must be some sort of record! Did the spark plugs foul up? I cannot remember spark plugs being a particular problem for "Ole" Bob's Ford. Until a few years ago we had a 66 Mustang. The engine was very good but the exhaust fumes were really bad compared to today's cars. We have come a long way with environmental technology.

I think we called the glass quarts "bulk" motor oil. I suppose it was to hide the fact it was cleaned up, used oil. Ole Bob's 56 Ford was so bad it was more like "check the gas and fill it with oil". Hudson gas stations used to have racks of those bulk oil bottles. Blue Star at 7th St & Mohave had it also.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 AM

93 posts, read 253,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Wasn't it called "Rev Motor Oil"? Only available in 30 weight, they sold it at Circle K for about 29 cents a can (late 70s). I ran it in my Camaro after the engine got overheated, bought it quite often near ASU.
I remember REV motor oil or I may be confusing it with RPM oil. The cans had neat graphics. We used it as well as the oil in the glass bottles. It seems like the glass bottle oil was about 20 cents a quart. I think if we put the oil in at the station it was the bottles but if you wanted some to take a long we bought the REV (or RPM) in cans. The bottles could not leave the station so they could refill them. I keep thinking the bottle oil was 10 cents a quart but that seems too cheap even for those days.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Last post failed so will try again. There is a Taco Bell in the photo.

Attachment 93946
I don't see one (looking for old mission style Taco Bell). Where is it?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:10 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
I don't see one (looking for old mission style Taco Bell). Where is it?
It is right behind IHOP. Also in the distance is the Palms Theater and lower left is Bob's Big Boy.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 AM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
It is right behind IHOP. Also in the distance is the Palms Theater and lower left is Bob's Big Boy.
The old sign gives it away, with the stylized serape and sombrero. Circled.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-sdfer1.jpg  

Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 AM

107 posts, read 422,811 times
Quote:
Neat pic, Roosevelt.
I get it now, looking south down Central past Thomas.

There's a "Clevenger Realty" at lower right; That name sounds familiar from the 60's.

Just out of range, beyond the lower right corner of the shot, is where I think Redewill's Music store was. My mom bought a piano there in about 1960 (I still have it), and I took lessons from Mrs. Viola Sloan. I loved wandering through the showroom. One of the Steinway grands was $2000!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area