U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 08:18 PM

535 posts, read 1,225,773 times

Advertisements

I remember Farrells as we used to go to the one at Chris Town. My favorite was the Tin Roof sundae.

Does anyone remember the Wagon Wheel fast food restaurants? They had a western theme and used to serve really good hamburgers.

LF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 05:36 AM

788 posts, read 1,854,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
How about the Kachina Theater on Scottsdale Road? Check out these old photos and the news article:
Kachina
The Cine Capri got all the glory and rightly so maybe, but the Kachina was a classy place in it's own right. The first movie I saw there was "2001: A Space Odyssey" and the last was "E.T."
I need to get my parents on this forum. They'd remember all this stuff better than I would. I'm sure that we must have gone to the Kachina at some point. I just don't remember that one.

But look at those projectors! I wonder if they're on display somewhere. Thanks for sharing that article

Old 11-16-2007, 06:50 AM

51,046 posts, read 29,133,009 times
I was raised in the areas of 3rd Ave & Highland, up until 1973, then my parents moved to the area of 29th Ave & Rose Lane, which at the time was still fairly rural. In fact, I remember 27th Ave north of Bethany Home had ditches on both sides, and most of it was lined up with oleanders. I also remember parties out in the desert, east of 32nd Street & Bell Road, up until the mid 1980's, that was still desert.

Somebody mentioned Woolco, I remember going to the one that used to be on the southeast corner of 33rd Ave & Indian School with my parents, and I remember one very cold day in late November when my parents went there to do their Christmas shopping.

Does anybody remember Globe Foods, and Globe Shopping city on the northwest corner of 7th Ave & Camelback? My first job was at the Globe food store, it was strange because there was a Lukcy's (another grocery chain) that was in the same strip mall, which spanned 4 blocks from 7th to 11th Avenues.

I also remember the Indian Drive-In, on 27th Ave & Indian School, and the Northern Drive-In on I-17 and Northern. Both of which were replaced by Motel 6's sometime in the 1980's.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 11-16-2007 at 08:05 AM..

Old 11-16-2007, 09:18 AM

3,884 posts, read 8,755,426 times
I remember walking to U-totem? (spelling) It was like a 7-eleven but had a totem pole in the front of it. We use to get wax lips and a coke on the way home from school with our lunch money. Oh and thrifty ice cream, triple scoop, butter pecan, mint chip, and rainbow sherbet. Yikes! Stop making me so sentimental, I'm trying to leave here darnet! It seemed to rain more then and our street got so flooded it was up to our knees by the curb. Great fun! Didn't seem so hot either. Maybe I was just young and didn't care. I was a latch key kid so(along with every other kid on my street), so the neighborhood was my oyster. lol great times.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:53 AM

535 posts, read 1,225,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I was raised in the areas of 3rd Ave & Highland, up until 1973, then my parents moved to the area of 29th Ave & Rose Lane, which at the time was still fairly rural. In fact, I remember 27th Ave north of Bethany Home had ditches on both sides, and most of it was lined up with oleanders. I also remember parties out in the desert, east of 32nd Street & Bell Road, up until the mid 1980's, that was still desert.

Somebody mentioned Woolco, I remember going to the one that used to be on the southeast corner of 33rd Ave & Indian School with my parents, and I remember one very cold day in late November when my parents went there to do their Christmas shopping.

Does anybody remember Globe Foods, and Globe Shopping city on the northwest corner of 7th Ave & Camelback? My first job was at the Globe food store, it was strange because there was a Lukcy's (another grocery chain) that was in the same strip mall, which spanned 4 blocks from 7th to 11th Avenues.

I also remember the Indian Drive-In, on 27th Ave & Indian School, and the Northern Drive-In on I-17 and Northern. Both of which were replaced by Motel 6's sometime in the 1980's.
I used to live near 27th Ave. and Bethany and I do remember the ditches. We were fascinated by the "crayfish" that lived in them and used to try catch them.

I also remember watching the irrigation come in to water everything. You can tell we were desert kids as we were fascinated with water.

I also remember the golf course on Black Canyon Highway not far from either location. That area is now apartments or something like that.

St. Simon and Jude was a simple church until the cathedral was built and we used to use the steeple to walk home from school. If we got lost, we'd just look for the steeple and head home.

On a sad note both sets of grandparents and my sister are buried at the cemetery on 27th Avenue. Boy, I hope I remembered the location right. I can find it by walking there but I haven't been to their graves for a long time. Next time in Phoenix I probably should put flowers at their head stones.

LF

Old 11-16-2007, 01:33 PM

338 posts, read 1,405,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ91 View Post
And I remember the batting cages too. Haven't been there since 88.
I remember the batting cages.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:37 PM

338 posts, read 1,405,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I remember walking to U-totem? (spelling) It was like a 7-eleven but had a totem pole in the front of it. We use to get wax lips and a coke on the way home from school with our lunch money. Oh and thrifty ice cream, triple scoop, butter pecan, mint chip, and rainbow sherbet. Yikes! Stop making me so sentimental, I'm trying to leave here darnet! It seemed to rain more then and our street got so flooded it was up to our knees by the curb. Great fun! Didn't seem so hot either. Maybe I was just young and didn't care. I was a latch key kid so(along with every other kid on my street), so the neighborhood was my oyster. lol great times.
OMG! I completely forgot about that- I do remember U-Totem. It was like 79 or 80. I loved those blue wax lips!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:54 PM

3,884 posts, read 8,755,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
OMG! I completely forgot about that- I do remember U-Totem. It was like 79 or 80. I loved those blue wax lips!
That's so funny!!! You are the only person I've heard of who remembers it.
I lived at that place after school for years. Remember those little wax bottles with the liquid in them. All that candy has been making a come back with my kids. Pop rocks and coke. lol Bang! Your stomach has now exploded. he he

Old 11-16-2007, 05:23 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,388,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmello View Post
Wow, downtown actually looks pretty happening back then.
Better than it is now.......LOL

Old 11-16-2007, 09:21 PM

323 posts, read 859,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
The ice rink at Metro! OMG- that brings back great memories. My best friend and I used to hang out there every weekend from like 10-16 years old. I remember the airplane lounge too. I also remember that hamburger restaurant where you ordered your food on the red telephone at the table? What was the name of that place??? I wanna say "Round the Clock" or something like that? Does anyone remember? We thought that was so cool.

I remember Joskes, Broadway and Goldwaters department stores at Metro Center. I also remember when Metro Center was a nice, safe mall.
I loved Metro center and it WAS safe at one time. Do you remember the store in there where you could record a song? You would go into a booth and sing and come out with a record or something, the line was always so long I never got to do it. But it looked so cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or