Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 02:21 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
[As] a child, my mom would make a point of driving by along Camelback at night so I could see the bird, which I loved in its original presentation, flames and all. One of my favorite books as a child was "David and the Phoenix" about a boy and a Phoenix bird. In my imagination, the book was set on Camelback Mountain, since I grew up in its shadow.

The bird is practically unrecognizable to me in its "tan" form.

Here's an interesting article about the artist, Paul Coze, who is also responsible for that mural at Sky Harbor Terminal 2 (something else I've loved forever).

Phoenix

This is an earlier post of mine about the bird, with the link to the article I was thinking about. And, whether it is beige, or tan, or white, changing it was a travesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 03:42 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Max View Post

A couple of pics my mother took while riding her horse down Central(1948).
Right ahead, Central and Bethany home Rd.
That property to the right is where some old guy had 20 acres and left to whole thing to his maid. The Southern Baptist church has built all over the property now. Interesting to see this part of Central also had a bridle path, you can see the original horse sign in the distance.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:44 AM

218 posts, read 570,145 times
Quote:
Here is some more pics.

Another of Luke 1944.

Here is one of Litchfield Park. At about the same time.

I asked my mother about this place she didn't have any memory of it(and she is the little girl in the pics).

Anyone know anything about a "Tiny Town" in 1948?
Wonderful Pictures! Thanks for posting. I hope someone knows of "Tiny Town" . I don't but it sure looks neat. I wish that train was in my backyard.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:20 AM

220 posts, read 655,902 times
Loved your pix.... especially Dolly riding down the bridle path on Central and Bethany.... a corner I know well.

Quote:
My Grandfather built this house with what he had leftover from his home building company. This was taken in 1948, there isn't much around it.

5620 N. Kay Drive, hard to believe that's now in the middle of town.

Here is the same house in 2011. My Grandmother sold it back in the early eighties.

For a little more fun.

A couple of pics my mother took while riding her horse down Central(1948).
Right ahead, Central and Bethany home Rd.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 AM

20 posts, read 53,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
That property to the right is where some old guy had 20 acres and left to whole thing to his maid. The Southern Baptist church has built all over the property now. Interesting to see this part of Central also had a bridle path, you can see the original horse sign in the distance.
I used to play on that lot, before they built North Phoenix Baptist.
I've never heard them called the Southern Baptist Church, I had friends that were members.

My mother told me the house on that lot was really something, the basement looked like a ship's hold.
Anybody have pics of that house?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 AM

20 posts, read 53,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
Loved your pix.... especially Dolly riding down the bridle path on Central and Bethany.... a corner I know well.
Here's Dolly.

If your daughter wants a horse, just find a way to advertise you business with the horse.

If Daddy wants a Helicopter.

Sadly he died in this helicopter 5 months later.
I have more to post of his business, I'm sure some of you may have grown up in one of his homes.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:40 AM

272 posts, read 609,095 times
OT question:

Does anyone know what telephone exchange the "CR" in Cox's phone number refers to? When I lived in RI, my grandmother's number began with "UN" (Union exchange in Providence), my uncle's with CE (Centerdale exchange in North Providence).
Does anyone remember other exchanges from Phoenix's history? For some reason, I always thought the numbers with the exchange name (ie Union 1-4995) were "cooler" than just the digits.

Last edited by JoeC; 06-04-2012 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Anything about old Phx history is on topic, here. The CR stood for CRestwood.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Here's Dolly.

If your daughter wants a horse, just find a way to advertise you business with the horse.

If Daddy wants a Helicopter.

Sadly he died in this helicopter 5 months later.
I have more to post of his business, I'm sure some of you may have grown up in one of his homes.
I remember when the helicopter accident happened. Cox built very nice homes and it was a horrible tradgedy when the accident happened.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Anything about old Phx history is on topic, here. The CR stood for CRestwood.
I think I remember these:

BR was Bridge (we thought South of the Salt River Bridge)
AM was Amhearst (never figured that one out)
AP was Applegate (never figured that one out either)
AL was Alpine ((never figured that one out either)

That's all I can remember. I liked the names whatever they meant. I was sorry to see it all go numeric. Of course, I was also sorry to see Phoenix be divided into different area codes due to the number of telephones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area