U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-29-2012, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 712 times
I remember Stan Butcher well. He was a friend of mine in High School. He actually went to Sunnyslope High.Vince went to Cortez. I moved away and lost track of him. I would be interested to hear what happened to him, I did not hear a word about him comitting suicide, however another old pal of mine Mike Condello did kill himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 12:27 PM

2,254 posts, read 3,382,958 times
Anyone ever hear of this Phoenix soda?

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-cowboy-bottle.jpg

Old 09-29-2012, 01:42 PM

187 posts, read 139,415 times
Does anyone remember Patterson Motors in Mesa? They were a VW dealer for many years; I bought a few parts from them for my old VWs. I came across a tiny VW ashtray from them today that I think is really neat. Maybe someone remembers VW's ad campaign "Think Small". I guess that is why the ashtray is so tiny! They would have a whole page ad with a small VW Bug in the middle and "Think Small" printed on the page. Probably a very profitable advertising campaign.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...f/MVC-403S.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...f/MVC-404S.jpg

Old 09-29-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Anyone ever hear of this Phoenix soda?

Attachment 101749
I sure do not recall it. That is a really neat bottle.

I liked Lotta Cola, they made 16 oz. bottles and if I had a nickel or dime extra I wanted the most soda I could get. The Barqs and coke bottles were 12 oz.

I had a friend who was a bottle collector/digger. When the original Phoenix Civic Plaza was being built he would venture into the construction areas when no one was around and dig for bottles. Seems a lot of stuff went into the outhouses besides what one would expect. Somehow he had gotten a map of very old Phoenix and knew where a lot of the old out houses were located; he was an engineer type smart guy, so he was able to somehow really pinpoint the locations. He must have had thousands of bottles from many, many years of digging. He's gone now and so are the bottles.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:09 PM

278 posts, read 337,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
Does anyone remember Patterson Motors in Mesa? They were a VW dealer for many years; I bought a few parts from them for my old VWs. I came across a tiny VW ashtray from them today that I think is really neat. Maybe someone remembers VW's ad campaign "Think Small". I guess that is why the ashtray is so tiny! They would have a whole page ad with a small VW Bug in the middle and "Think Small" printed on the page. Probably a very profitable advertising campaign.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...f/MVC-403S.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...f/MVC-404S.jpg
Patterson Motors was located at 1127 W. Main St. in Mesa. The building is still there, but is now a party rentals store. Their new car lot was on the south side of the road and their used car lot was across the street.

Back in the 60's they were one of the dealers for the new Japanese car, Subaru. The Subaru 360 was made in a sedan, van and pickup and were very-very tiny and powered by a 356CC, 2 cylinder, 2 stroke engine. I recently acquired one of the original trucks that I am restoring right now. I remember their ads were simple: Cheap & Ugly!
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-clickhandler.ashx.jpg  

Old 09-29-2012, 08:28 PM

688 posts, read 1,036,508 times
Quote:
Scout Pueblo. I stayed there many times, always on the lookout for tarantulas, that was the myth. We stayed in the building in the center; one night we were attacked by the nuts in the building on the right; they smashed windows and threw rocks, most of them ending up in the swimming pool. They were severely punished the next day.

Attachment 101724
I was just there last night and today - not such a myth about the tarantulas, a lot of creepy-crawlys are still there, saw a rattler, centipedes, scorpions, millipedes, etc., being right at the base of South Mountain those things are all over. Nice views of the city at night, you hear coyotes howling but are still in view of the lights of downtown Phoenix. Very pretty and peaceful.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:32 PM

6 posts, read 3,674 times
I think you are talking about Arnold's 2x4 bar on 43rd Ave. Sand volleyball, biker hangout.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Patterson Motors was located at 1127 W. Main St. in Mesa. The building is still there, but is now a party rentals store. Their new car lot was on the south side of the road and their used car lot was across the street.

Back in the 60's they were one of the dealers for the new Japanese car, Subaru. The Subaru 360 was made in a sedan, van and pickup and were very-very tiny and powered by a 356CC, 2 cylinder, 2 stroke engine. I recently acquired one of the original trucks that I am restoring right now. I remember their ads were simple: Cheap & Ugly!
Neat! Are parts still available for the Subaru two cycles? There was a small, I believe, 2 cycle car years ago. I always heard they had lots of problems but it might have been a failure of the owners to get the oil/gas mix correct. I had a few of the Allstate Motorcycles by Puch. I always mixed the gas/oil carefully. When I could afford it I bought the castor oil stuff for mixing. It was good but it did smell. I used to ride through Phoenix Union High fast and really make the people's noses curl. I might have added a bit extra castor oil just for the heck of it!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:55 AM

278 posts, read 337,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
Neat! Are parts still available for the Subaru two cycles? There was a small, I believe, 2 cycle car years ago. I always heard they had lots of problems but it might have been a failure of the owners to get the oil/gas mix correct. I had a few of the Allstate Motorcycles by Puch. I always mixed the gas/oil carefully. When I could afford it I bought the castor oil stuff for mixing. It was good but it did smell. I used to ride through Phoenix Union High fast and really make the people's noses curl. I might have added a bit extra castor oil just for the heck of it!
It's like finding parts for an old Model T. Used stuff mostly and requires a lengthy internet search and lots of wheeling and dealing.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,795 times
Default Town and Country Food Bazaar

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane! I recall every one of these names! I spent countless hours wandering thru the stores and the Cowboy-Indian Store was one of my favorites! Here's a photo of my parents and staff at Otto's Hofbrau! How about that mug of cold Michelob for 50 cents?

Quote:
Meditterranea was my favorite, they had home made Greek food. Others I recall were the Chinese place simply called Peter Fong, and Yum Yum Tree Bakery, Otto's Hofbrau, Bar-B-Q Corral, Spanish Kitchen, Italian Kitchen, Steak 'N Stein. Other places I remember were Russell Stover, Hiro Portraits, Valley Bank, Kaleidoscope, Mister Got Rocks, Wilson Gay Originals, Green Apple, Jersey Girl (was that the place that had models wearing nighties?), Starrett's, Cowboy-Indian Store and Snap Shop. Unicef had a store.
Attachment 88300
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-ottoshofbrau001.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area