Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 05:47 PM

107 posts, read 422,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is a photo that should keep old timers busy all week, again I apologize for the faint watermark. I only lived 1/2 mile from downtown in the 40's so here is where most of my memories are. Photo is sharp and large. Unusual angle, most aerial photos show downtown from the southwest so they could get Camelback Mtn. in.

Keep clicking on the image after the thumbnail, it keeps getting larger..........
Attachment 45385
Thanks for posting the photo. Yep, the unusual angle and lack of mountains took me awhile to figure out! The picturesque Spanish-style church at lower right is an obvious landmark, but its name escaped me for a bit--St. Mary's, still there at 3rd St & Monroe. Hooray for Google maps.

So the photo looks NW toward downtown and beyond. Threw me a little because I would have thought Grand Avenue would stand out more clearly, but there seems to be a hint of it taking off diagonally from 7th Ave & Van Buren.

Looks like the revolving sign (it did turn, didn't it?) atop the old Valley National Bank building is visible among the tallest structures; that hexagonal (or octagonal?) VNB logo with the eagle wings is still familiar from the 50s-60s-70s when it was ubiquitous around town.

The Republic & Gazette building might be the ~3-story white one with palm trees around it at far right just below center, on Van Buren between 1st & 2nd St. Don't know its ultimate fate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:04 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
Thanks for posting the photo. Yep, the unusual angle and lack of mountains took me awhile to figure out! The picturesque Spanish-style church at lower right is an obvious landmark, but its name escaped me for a bit--St. Mary's, still there at 3rd St & Monroe. Hooray for Google maps.

So the photo looks NW toward downtown and beyond. Threw me a little because I would have thought Grand Avenue would stand out more clearly, but there seems to be a hint of it taking off diagonally from 7th Ave & Van Buren.

Looks like the revolving sign (it did turn, didn't it?) atop the old Valley National Bank building is visible among the tallest structures; that hexagonal (or octagonal?) VNB logo with the eagle wings is still familiar from the 50s-60s-70s when it was ubiquitous around town.

The Republic & Gazette building might be the ~3-story white one with palm trees around it at far right just below center, on Van Buren between 1st & 2nd St. Don't know its ultimate fate.
Yes you are right. Since I practically lived downtown I can identify lots of buildings. Starting with Adams Street in the foreground, there is the Sears Farm Store and Toy Store, then the Sears gas station, Sears, Hanney's, Switzer's, OPO. Across the street is Montgomery Ward's, then Porter's, Adam's Hotel, Raskin Jeweler's, The Flame restaurant, the Title Building, Tom's Tavern, and telephone company.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 PM

7,181 posts, read 9,228,608 times
Quote:
I researched this and talked to a friend. His father used to go there and dump trash, it was a county dump and very large because you could drive a truck down into it. There was another dump up on 43rd Avenue and Bethany Home also.
Thanks for the info. I think they must have stopped using it as an official dump by 66 tho. There was a big mechanical shovel out in the middle but I never saw it working. It was really cool as a kid to watch the motorcycles doing jumps & other crazy stunts. This was way before I ever heard of BMX type sports. The neighborhood kids called it "Little Grand" because it was a "Little Grand Canyon".

Old 07-25-2009, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 13,739 times
Default Who owns this picture???

I found this picture on this site and wish to use it or one like it in a book I'm writing on the history of Glendale, AZ.
Does anyone know who owns it and if you are the owner may I have your permisson to use it.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-47th-20ave-20-26-20glendale-201968.jpg  

Old 07-26-2009, 11:46 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid57 View Post
I found this picture on this site and wish to use it or one like it in a book I'm writing on the history of Glendale, AZ.
Does anyone know who owns it and if you are the owner may I have your permisson to use it.
I have the original print but cannot let it be used in publication because I do not have the rights, only the print. Here is a larger copy for your info.

Attachment 45968
Keep clicking to enlarge to max.

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,046 times
what ever happened to Art Brock T.V. reporter

Old 07-26-2009, 09:56 PM

48 posts, read 246,075 times
Default old Phoenix memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnabc View Post
what ever happened to Art Brock T.V. reporter
Oh wow, I havent heard that name in so long that I had to investigate. Nothing yet on Art but I stumbled across some of the greatest sites I want to share with you all. azsurvivors.com there are links for news media etc. lots of great stuff. Click on links and go down to Ron Herbalees Vintage Photos for some awesome pictures and postcards that will take you back. My dad Bill mcKay is even listed on the homepage of azsurvivors. Another site I looked up is whyarizona.org and there is gonna be a treasure trove there, so much I haven't begun to investigate these sites. Have fun all you oldies but goodies.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 13,739 times
Default Who does

Quote:
I have the original print but cannot let it be used in publication because I do not have the rights, only the print. Here is a larger copy for your info.

Attachment 45968
Keep clicking to enlarge to max.
Do you know who does ave the copyright? Without permission I can't use the pictrue in my book.
I have the now shot of all these lots empty and need the then shot.
thanks
Y.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 PM

21 posts, read 75,437 times
Default More on south phoenix

Flag this message
Phoenix annexation question additional information

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:14 AM

"maria.hernandez@phoenix.gov" <maria.hernandez@phoenix.gov>
Add sender to Contacts

To:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX@yahoo.com

[SIZE=2]Dear Mr. XXXXX:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Your request for information on the annexation of South Phoenix was directed to me. I checked several sources in our collection and did not find any mention of South Phoenix as a separate city. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]At least one of these sources, Michael Konig's dissertation, "Toward Metropolis Status: Charter Government and the Rise of Phoenix, 1945 1960," cited a source that might be helpful to you in your quest for more information on the topic. It is: "Information on Annexation," a Phoenix City Council report of March 1958, which is available in File GCI-40, Arizona Collection, Hayden Library, Arizona State University. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]If you would like to address your inquiry to the Arizona Collection at ASU, I would suggest that you contact Dr. Christine Marin, Archivist, Arizona Collection, Department of Archives and Manuscripts, Hayden Library, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287. She might be able to provide you with more information on this topic.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sincerely,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Maria Hernandez[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Arizona Room Librarian[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Burton Barr Central Library[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Phoenix, AZ 85004[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 07-31-2009, 10:01 PM

48 posts, read 246,075 times
Default Question about old dance hall

Quote:
Yes you are right. Since I practically lived downtown I can identify lots of buildings. Starting with Adams Street in the foreground, there is the Sears Farm Store and Toy Store, then the Sears gas station, Sears, Hanney's, Switzer's, OPO. Across the street is Montgomery Ward's, then Porter's, Adam's Hotel, Raskin Jeweler's, The Flame restaurant, the Title Building, Tom's Tavern, and telephone company.
Can someone tell me about a BIG dance hall that was on the SW corner of Central and Indianschool in the early 50s. Does anyone know the name of it or the band that played there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area