U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 08:01 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,126,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
My memory is clouded but I believe we stood in a long line to see the movie "Earthquake" at the Bethany. The sound system had incredibly loud and powerful amplification & speakers. It seems like, sometime during that movie's run, a crack appeared in the structure's ceiling and was of some concern. I wonder where all of that sound equipment ended up? For some reason I keep thinking the theatre closed partly due to structural problems (probably not from the movie) but never reopened as planned. Perhaps someone remembers? I believe they also played "Gone With The Wind" there for an extended run.
I remember the Bethany's powerful sound system as well - they really had the sub-bass woofers cranked up during The Exorcist (which director William Friedkin told the theaters to do) to add to the unsettling effect on the viewers. I also remember the story about structural damage during Earthquake. I think they also showed Midway with Sensurrround.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 08:06 AM

I found an article in Bizjournal about plans for Park Central. One of the owners wants to bring in a Target department store, which downtown lacks: Urban Target, mixed-use and other hopes for Park Central mall in Phoenix - Phoenix Business Journal

Part of the draw for developers of Park Central is that big huge parking lot, which is a rarity in the downtown area. As the article says, outside of Starbucks and the deli, the rest of the mall is pretty much a ghost town.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:29 PM

19 posts, read 25,747 times
Default Park Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I found an article in Bizjournal about plans for Park Central. One of the owners wants to bring in a Target department store, which downtown lacks: Urban Target, mixed-use and other hopes for Park Central mall in Phoenix - Phoenix Business Journal

Part of the draw for developers of Park Central is that big huge parking lot, which is a rarity in the downtown area. As the article says, outside of Starbucks and the deli, the rest of the mall is pretty much a ghost town.
I'm kinda surprised that St. Joe's hospital hasn't just bought Park Central by this point.

Anyone know how long the Green Woodpecker has been gone?

Old 05-12-2015, 12:34 PM

19 posts, read 25,747 times
Default Globe at Tower Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
Thanks Arizona Mike. I always liked to go to Tower Hobby and look at the train setup that they had in the window. Bought plenty of slot car's from there.

No pictures or mention of Globe department store that was at the west end of the plaza?

Are the towers still there? Can't help but think about the guy that climbed up there and fell to his death.

My first memories of Jack in the Box was that one across the street. The drive thru had the clown with the speaker inside of him. Jack burrito's and Bonus Jack's..yumm!
Around 1973 I lived in an apartment on 38th St. a block north of Tower Plaza. I remember buying groceries at the Globe there. Don't remember when it became FedMart though.

Also remember eating Mexican food at Don Jose's on the north side of Thomas across from Tower Plaza.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
Default Chaparral Speedway

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
The track on the south side of the street was called Chaparral speedway and the Castle Boutique which is still there was not part of it. I can't recall a track on the north side.
I used to work @ Chaparral Speedway in early '88...They were fiberglass bodies with Chaparral 500cc snowmobile engines. Have a lot of good memories from that place. The Castle bookstore was and "Adult bookstore" back then. They must have rebuilt it since then cause it never looked like that when I saw it.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:59 PM

68 posts, read 113,270 times
Been away from AZ since the mid-70s but occasionally visit family in Chandler. All these places come back to mind!

Someone mentioned a friend who didn't realize they were poor. I have to say if you didn't realize you were poor, you probably weren't. How could you not realize your clothes came from Salvation Army, that when other kids went to YMCA camp you're parents said no money, that there was only one bike for 4 kids, that sometimes there wasn't money for the school lunch, that sometimes the only thing to eat at home was a box of Saltines? We were poor, we knew it and I hated it. Paper route at 11 years old finally allowed me to buy misc bike parts at Salvation Army dump area, and put together my own Franken-bike.

But good memories, too, from AZ Mike's list and others. Western Auto was the go to place for bike parts. I remember Gallenkamps shoes, and later the drive through liquor store. I've never seen one in the 40 years since I left AZ.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:12 AM

218 posts, read 332,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanaMan View Post
Been away from AZ since the mid-70s but occasionally visit family in Chandler. All these places come back to mind!

Someone mentioned a friend who didn't realize they were poor. I have to say if you didn't realize you were poor, you probably weren't. How could you not realize your clothes came from Salvation Army, that when other kids went to YMCA camp you're parents said no money, that there was only one bike for 4 kids, that sometimes there wasn't money for the school lunch, that sometimes the only thing to eat at home was a box of Saltines? We were poor, we knew it and I hated it. Paper route at 11 years old finally allowed me to buy misc bike parts at Salvation Army dump area, and put together my own Franken-bike.

But good memories, too, from AZ Mike's list and others. Western Auto was the go to place for bike parts. I remember Gallenkamps shoes, and later the drive through liquor store. I've never seen one in the 40 years since I left AZ.
It was not so much fun to be poor. Sometimes we had bread and these pickles called bread and butter pickles for lunch. We picked some cotton but the machines took over. All shoes and clothing was from the Salvation Army or Goodwill. I think my sister suffered the most. It was difficult not having some of the fancy things other girls had. We boys had found some ways to make money such as collecting tin cans (actually steel with a thin coating of tin inside, I believe), collecting pop bottles for the 2 cent deposit, riding our bikes, in the summer, to Encanto Park and fishing golf balls out of the lagoon to sell to the golfers, dumpster diving in downtown Phoenix and riding very early in the mornings to 19th Ave & McDowell near the fairgrounds. The railroad had a building there and frequently they would trash a large box of used 6 volt lantern batteries. We would run these through the local auction, on East Mojave St. along with dumpster finds for some spending money. It was an adventure and almost everyone in the area was in the same financial condition. One friend got a new bike for Christmas; we were very envious of him. There was always a way to make a few dollars in the City of Phoenix.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:48 AM

19 posts, read 24,493 times
Default Bethany Earthquake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I remember the Bethany's powerful sound system as well - they really had the sub-bass woofers cranked up during The Exorcist (which director William Friedkin told the theaters to do) to add to the unsettling effect on the viewers. I also remember the story about structural damage during Earthquake. I think they also showed Midway with Sensurrround.
A friend of mine and I saw the movie Earthquake at the Bethany Theater. It was between 23rd & 24th avenues on the north side of Bethany Home Road. The speakers that caused the rumbling for the movie were up front and where big enough for a person to lay in. So my friend Scott Lee gets the idea that it would be cool to lay in them. So that is exactly what we did. Probably part of the reason I have lost some of my hearing.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Stoic View Post
A friend of mine and I saw the movie Earthquake at the Bethany Theater. It was between 23rd & 24th avenues on the north side of Bethany Home Road. The speakers that caused the rumbling for the movie were up front and where big enough for a person to lay in. So my friend Scott Lee gets the idea that it would be cool to lay in them. So that is exactly what we did. Probably part of the reason I have lost some of my hearing.
I remember when Tommy was showing at the (old) Cine Capri - they brought in these massive auxiliary speakers (about 15' high) that were at the back and the front sides of the theater that made the seats really shake during the songs. Between stuff like that and concerts and clubs (and being around 4.2 mortars and explosives later, in the Army), it's not surprising that have a continual ringing in my ears. If I am in a loud bar and there's a lot of background noise, I can't hear anything anyone is saying unless they're shouting right in my ear...

Old 05-13-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanaMan View Post

Western Auto was kind of an unusual store - they had auto parts, but also sold bicycles and toys and even firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area