Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Sure would like to see that turned back into more of a shopping center. With the 7th Ave/Osborn Basha's shutting down and umpteen apartments going up they could add a grocery store of some kind too.

I was wondering when they would shut that down. I assume that whole center will be razed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Attachment 181363 Upton's at 5th Avenue and Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
^ ^
Nice pic. I think you're right about the intersection.

Yes, that is the intersection. Brings back lots of memories. In the very late 50's, early 60's, my dad owned the Beef Roast cafeteria which was located in the center of the building, where that white strip is. I've been in Upton's back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 07:42 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
I wouldn't recommend Mr Luckys unless you speak Espanol or have a large loaded gun.

Hers a shot of the iconic sign on Grand Ave.
Drove by there yesterday, it's now a furniture store. They kept the sign.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:43 AM

164 posts, read 183,807 times
Has there ever been a store to replace Jutenhoops? What a fun store. I believe the Latronicos moved out of state to Utah after they sold it. I wish Roosevelt had some photos of the store at Town and Country.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:05 PM

24,282 posts, read 13,137,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Drove by there yesterday, it's now a furniture store. They kept the sign.
So they did... Thank you, Google Maps. (Haven't been in "The King of Clubs" since maybe 1981 or 1982, it was pretty far to go there from the Tempe area.)

Last edited by SluggoF16; 02-28-2017 at 12:16 PM..

Old 03-03-2017, 04:08 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,622,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bird street View Post
has there ever been a store to replace jutenhoops? What a fun store. I believe the latronicos moved out of state to utah after they sold it. I wish roosevelt had some photos of the store at town and country.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-jutenhoops.jpg

Old 03-03-2017, 04:10 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,622,441 times
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-80-lavonne-brookshire-menu.jpg Brookshire's in Sunnyslope 1973

Old 03-03-2017, 07:48 PM

164 posts, read 183,807 times
Thanks Roosevelt. I know the New Times ran some stories about Jutenhoops and robberies etc. That was such a cool store with beautiful windchimes, solar toys and gifts. It was a great place to browse on hot Phoenix afternoons.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 PM

38 posts, read 207,625 times
Back in the 80's the restaurant at Deer Valley airport was awesome!

Old 04-01-2017, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,418 times
I grew up at 35th Avenue and Bethany Home Road ... I remember Az. Music Center, Farrell's Icecream Parlor at Christown Mall, King's Table Restaurant, Smitty's , Fedmart, Skagg's Drugstore, Funny Fellow's Restaurant

Old 04-01-2017, 11:52 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Greatday made a comment in another post about how he remembers when Sky Harbor Airport was a grass strip...out in the middle of nowhere. That had to have been quite a while back...but I love to hear of how Phoenix used to be.

If you've never been, I highly recommend checking out some of the downtown neighborhoods...right off 7th Ave, east to about Central, and just south of McDowell. The streets are lined with huge palm trees, the houses are small, everyone has lawns and it just has a great feel about it.

I've heard stories of when I-17 stopped at Bell Rd and everything up here in North Phoenix was just orange tree groves in every direciton...that must have been something!

I've been here since 1992 and didn't catch any of that, but things have changed a bit since I've been here.
The 101 was...well, there was no 101. The bridges for the overpasses were in place, but it was just dirt and Beardsley was the road that everyone used. There were some older houses north of Beardsley (101), but only between 35th Ave and say 7th St...nothing else was developed, it was just open desert. I remember the merchantile store at 91st Ave and Pinnacle Peak being in the middle of nowhere and it was sort of a half way point on the way to Lake Pleasant, a place you stopped to gas up and grab some snacks...now it's in the middle of everything.
I was born and raised in rural Arizona and spent many weekend trips in Phoenix. I also went to ASU back in the 90s. I moved to Florida for over 13 years but recently returned. I love being home. Everything "old" is "new" again.

I remember Phoenix in the 70s of early childhood. My cousin went to a school in Peoria. I remember it took a long time to get to the northwest side because there was no 101/202. We had to go on main st. in Apache Junction and gradually work our way to McDowell Road to get to Central Phoenix. Then from there we had to go through more streets and avenues to get to Peoria. It was long compared to now.

I now live in Scottsdale. I miss Los Arcos Mall and Smitty's (lol). I also remember going to the old Kachina Theater and the old Cine Capri where I saw Star Wars as a child in 77. I remember there used to be many Drive-In theaters and remember seeing one of the "Billy Jack" sequels near Los Arcos Mall somewhere near what is now "Papago Park". I saw "Godzilla" at a Drive-In somewhere in Mesa. I went to a HS graduation at Phoenix Indian HS back in the early 70s in Central Phoenix. It used to have a rivalry with "St. John's Indian HS" south of Phoenix when I was an infant. But both have since closed.

Tri-City Mall was a fun place to eat brunch on Saturdays when coming in from Globe. The "Poncho's Buffet" in Los Arcos Mall was excellent back in the early 80s. I went to ASU Frank Kush games as early as 1974 when Danny White was playing. There was no "ASU East" or "ASU West" or "ASU Online" or "ASU/Mayo Clinic". I remember "Wallace and Ladmo" at the AZ State Fair back in 1982. They were hilarious live with Gerald.
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d88...e-losarcos.jpg

Phoenix has grown tremendously. I work in North Scottsdale which used to be mostly quail and coyote country back in the 70s. One classic film made in 1979 in Mesa/Tempe was "Used Cars". I remember driving by the set with family as a young child. The film comedy centered upon the projected future growth of the freeway system of Phoenix. Two auto dealerships were battling for marketing leverage and customers near one of the projected freeway exits. It was hilarious and starred a young Kurt Russell (post-Disney era). One scene shows outskirts of Phoenix that have since become populated. The 1985 teen comedy "Just One of the Guys" was made in Phoenix and had scenes by McDowell Rd with the familiar caves and "Big Surf" of the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWUXyw9rDmw

I remember the "Ladmo Bag" back in the day - lol. I went to Legend City in 1981.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZZnlsz6L2s

I also remember Phoenix in the 1990s. While at ASU, I drove in many times from Glendale and 202 ended at Priest St heading east to ASU. There was no 101. In northwest Phoenix, I often went hiking north of Beardsley or went jogging near one of the canals by Thunderbird Road west of "ASU West" (lol). Arrowhead mall was in the early stages of being built back then. Now the area has the "Final Four" - lol. Phoenix has grown. I remember when the now deceased Pat Tillman's defense stopped #1 Nebraska in 1996. ASU students carried the goal post towards Mill Ave. RIP Tillman.

One of these days east Phoenix will stretch into Superior - perhaps by the end of the century at this rate.

Last edited by grad_student200; 04-02-2017 at 12:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area