Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 10:24 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times

Advertisements

For those of you keeping score at home, the Stewart Motors building has been the center of controversy. There is a residential high rise building being built on that property. The developer had wanted to tear down the circular showroom on the corner but reached a compromise where that portion of the building was retained.

And the homes that were being discussed at 3rd Ave and Palm Lane are in what is now called the Willo Historic Neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 04:11 PM

21 posts, read 30,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
And the homes that were being discussed at 3rd Ave and Palm Lane are in what is now called the Willo Historic Neighborhood.
It has aged rather well, unlike some neighborhoods in Phoenix. Gone is the 'Hefty's Market' 'Woody's El Nido' 'Rexall Drugs' and the 'Lucky Boy' down around 7th Ave and McDowell, and Central Methodist Church is not the hub it was 50 years ago, the City Library, no longer pink, looks tired and underused, yet some neighborhoods manage to maintain their character, regardless of how the city changes around them. 3rd Ave was once a 3 lane thoroughfare that ran north, with 5th Ave being a 3 lane thoroghfare running south. Now they look like sleepy residential streets in the Willo area... and who back in the day EVER thought Central Avenue would be a one-way street downtown? Besides that, at one time, Central Avenue was beautiful, with traffic islands with beautiful plants and palm trees running the length between McDowell and Camelback... it broke my heart to see that all ripped out and gone.

It has been mentioned many times in this 899 page forum, and it is very true, a former resident from the 50s, 60s, 70s or even 80s, who has been away, will have a difficult time navigating their way around the city as it exists today. So many things just simply do not exist any longer, including many roads and byways. Some neighborhoods haven't changed at all, some have undergone such drastic changes they aren't even recognizable any longer. 4.4 million people... it boggles the mind.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:36 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBond View Post
It has aged rather well, unlike some neighborhoods in Phoenix. Gone is the 'Hefty's Market' 'Woody's El Nido' 'Rexall Drugs' and the 'Lucky Boy' down around 7th Ave and McDowell, and Central Methodist Church is not the hub it was 50 years ago, the City Library, no longer pink, looks tired and underused, yet some neighborhoods manage to maintain their character, regardless of how the city changes around them. 3rd Ave was once a 3 lane thoroughfare that ran north, with 5th Ave being a 3 lane thoroghfare running south. Now they look like sleepy residential streets in the Willo area... and who back in the day EVER thought Central Avenue would be a one-way street downtown? Besides that, at one time, Central Avenue was beautiful, with traffic islands with beautiful plants and palm trees running the length between McDowell and Camelback... it broke my heart to see that all ripped out and gone.

It has been mentioned many times in this 899 page forum, and it is very true, a former resident from the 50s, 60s, 70s or even 80s, who has been away, will have a difficult time navigating their way around the city as it exists today. So many things just simply do not exist any longer, including many roads and byways. Some neighborhoods haven't changed at all, some have undergone such drastic changes they aren't even recognizable any longer. 4.4 million people... it boggles the mind.
3rd and 5th are still one way, unfortunately, albeit two lanes each. Come by at rush hour and tell me you think they look sleepy. There is a plan by the city to redo 3rd and 5th. South of Roosevelt they will be two-way. From Roosevelt to McDowell they will remain one way but be reduced to one lane with bike paths. There are Willo residents, myself among them, who, want to extend that one lane plan through Willo up to Thomas. Whatever changes occur will take years.

The library became the Art Museum and the new library is a modern structure at Central and Willetta. It unfortunately got damaged in a recent storm and is will be closed for the next few months.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:47 AM

Here is a picture of my brother and I from 1957. We are sitting in the shade in front of our Grandmother's house at 309 W. Palm Lane. The landscaping has changed somewhat, but the window and shutter effect look to be unchanged over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-1957-palm-lane-01.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-screen-shot-2017-08-05-9.36.35  

Old 08-22-2017, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,299 times
Hello Jim,

I just happened to stumble across your post. I worked at Reynolds for 5 years beginning in about 1978, plus or minus. I worked as a welder in the heavy fabrication plant. We made aluminum rail cars among many other things. I have fond memories of that job and it pains me to see that the building is gone. Do you know when it was demolished?

Old 08-22-2017, 03:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post
Since we were discussing dealerships. Here's a photo I found in an antique store. Read Mullan, 16 St. & Camelback. Nothing written on back, promotion? Pretty sure it later became Mel Clayton and torn down for new Camelback Toyota.
Attachment 188571

Attachment 188572

It did. My uncle worked for Southwest Auto Lease there at Read Mullan Ford.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:20 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cavender View Post
any former Reynolds Metals employee out there? I lived in Phoenix for a few years in the late 70's early 80's, and worked are Reynolds Metals, made a lot of very good friends that I would like to reconnect with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottg135 View Post
Hello Jim,

I just happened to stumble across your post. I worked at Reynolds for 5 years beginning in about 1978, plus or minus. I worked as a welder in the heavy fabrication plant. We made aluminum rail cars among many other things. I have fond memories of that job and it pains me to see that the building is gone. Do you know when it was demolished?

Scott,

The post from Jim is from April, 2010. I'm not sure he is still around to see your question. You might want to try sending him a direct message through the site.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:34 AM

I remember there were always big 'Grand Openings' almost every weekend back in the 60s. Shopping centers, subdivisions, car dealers... search lights were a big advertising device in those days. Of course we've discussed Wallace and Ladmo, who did so many of these events, as well as their own stage shows, but I haven't seen much mention in these threads of 'Kurt the Clown'(sic), who was also ubiquitous in that era. I haven't searched extensively yet, but there seems to be little about him on the interweb, though I bet there are some here who remember, and might even have a photo.

I know Lew King did 'appearances' in those days, among others. Who remembers?

Old 09-23-2017, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 13,872 times
I'm not sure if I can be of help or not.
But, we bought our home from the Nace's (Harry Jr) in 1967 and didn't sell it until 2015. What I find most interesting when researching history about Harry Nace Jr is that it never mentions his former wife (Marilyn) or their son Trey, I believe.
Anyway, his home was incredible with state of the art audio and visual built-in items that are still the epitome today. Sadly the house was razed last year to make way for 4-5 homes.
It was located on Central Avenue and Frier, just south of Northern. I had always heard rumors that Sr was found deceased in that house and only recently learned it occurred in downtown Phoenix. We always thought we saw his ghost there, in particular, in what was my bedroom growing up. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whowasharrynace View Post
Thanks for the great stuff. I have been conducting research into the Nace's for the past year and I have accumulated quite a bit. Fascinating stuff. I am looking for any pictures of the Rialto, Strand, Riverside Park, or anything else associated with the Nace family. The focus of my research has been Nace Sr. I have interviewed his granddaughters as well as others, but I have never seen much of what you posted.

I'm not sure how to post pictures here, but I have a few I could share

Old 09-26-2017, 08:07 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBond View Post
I remember there were always big 'Grand Openings' almost every weekend back in the 60s. Shopping centers, subdivisions, car dealers... search lights were a big advertising device in those days. Of course we've discussed Wallace and Ladmo, who did so many of these events, as well as their own stage shows, but I haven't seen much mention in these threads of 'Kurt the Clown'(sic), who was also ubiquitous in that era. I haven't searched extensively yet, but there seems to be little about him on the interweb, though I bet there are some here who remember, and might even have a photo.

I know Lew King did 'appearances' in those days, among others. Who remembers?

Kurt the Clown tied a balloon to my mothers sweater while her back was turned, which got a laugh from the crowd but which angered the 3-year-old me. I started pummeling him and had to be pulled off by my mom. I've never liked clowns since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area