Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,090 times

Advertisements

Lovely memories...

Someone has to bring up the seedier side...that would be my job!
Does anyone else remember "Hernanio's Hideaway on the west side of the I-10 freeway (no access from the I10)...out and out brothel, easily seen on the hills about 100 yards from the freeway....it was there for YEARS.
Think I'm talking about a hundred years ago?....naw, about 1968.
Anyone else remember the east side of Scottsdale road, just south of Scottsdale? (county area)
A whole cluster of trailers with a hurricane fence around it..?....you guessed it, all obvious cat houses with large signs!

New York mafia-run business...from barber shops to back-of-bar gambling joints....that eventually led to "rubout murders" of their owners.
Newspaper men getting blown out of their socks for trying to put the spotlight on the unbelievably corrupt big land deal practices.

I dunno...kinda miss the "old days"....except for the murders.

Tucson was "so much more civilized"...<roll eyes>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 04:23 PM

220 posts, read 655,902 times
Default Pete's Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
Yeah, Pete's is one of those places that I'm shocked that it has the following that it does. To me, it's pretty much the epitome of low-grade, highly processed fish.
I do admit now and then when I am in downtown Glendale,I stop by Pete's. We friends affectionately called it "No No Fish and Chips" because of the signs all over. No checks, No phone orders, No no this, no no that.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:02 PM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
In another thread there are questions about scorpions in Arizona. Well, it turns out that the German band The Scorpions recorded a song titled "Arizona" in 1982. KDKB and KUPD played it a bunch. Not a bad song, a bit formulaic. The video they made... wow, so cheap and cheesy. Some poor choreography on what looks like the Palm Walk at ASU. Shots of downtown and The Valley Bank features prominently several times... a Republic Airlines DC-9 landing, an American 727 taking off (been a while since the former existed, and the latter flew them).

I can't identify the actual location of the awful choreography, which is a great study in fashion and hairstyles in 1982, when I graduated ASU. Likewise where the police officer is pushed over the rock wall.

It's a really lousy video, may offend some, but what do you expect from an early 80s metal band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBTWoZzZ8B8

Old 11-05-2017, 08:25 PM

214 posts, read 646,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
In another thread there are questions about scorpions in Arizona. Well, it turns out that the German band The Scorpions recorded a song titled "Arizona" in 1982. KDKB and KUPD played it a bunch. Not a bad song, a bit formulaic. The video they made... wow, so cheap and cheesy. Some poor choreography on what looks like the Palm Walk at ASU. Shots of downtown and The Valley Bank features prominently several times... a Republic Airlines DC-9 landing, an American 727 taking off (been a while since the former existed, and the latter flew them).

I can't identify the actual location of the awful choreography, which is a great study in fashion and hairstyles in 1982, when I graduated ASU. Likewise where the police officer is pushed over the rock wall.

It's a really lousy video, may offend some, but what do you expect from an early 80s metal band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBTWoZzZ8B8
Was the rock wall maybe on South Mountain?

Old 11-06-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
Was the rock wall maybe on South Mountain?

That's what I was thinking, maybe the Dobbins Lookout parking lot? It also resembles the drive up A Mountain (the other one, in Tucson) but the video looks like it was shot exclusively in Phoenix with stock footage of Spider Rock, et al thrown in.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,025 times
I was just thinking about Rohrer's Bird Farm and wondered what happened to it. I thought it was so pretty back in there with all the trees and birds. I am so sorry to hear it is gone.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:38 PM

Sadly only Pat McMahon is still around in this video. Commodore Condello and the Salt River Navy and their rendition of "Soggy Cereal", from 1970.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXpStP48EAo

Old 11-23-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Sadly only Pat McMahon is still around in this video. Commodore Condello and the Salt River Navy and their rendition of "Soggy Cereal", from 1970.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXpStP48EAo
I'd like to see the old time movie they made about a war scene. They had to go across enemy lines to get Wallace a donut and cup of coffee.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
I'd like to see the old time movie they made about a war scene. They had to go across enemy lines to get Wallace a donut and cup of coffee.
"No dime? No donut!".

I haven't been able to find it online (yet).

Old 11-24-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
"No dime? No donut!".

I haven't been able to find it online (yet).
That's the one..."You made me spill. Back, back!"

Last edited by baby sinister; 11-24-2017 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area