U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 820 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information about the little Christmas-themed restaurant that used to be (to the best of my recollection) off the northwest side of I-17 near Deer Valley Road? I was just a little kid when my family used to bring me there so my memory is horribly foggy and likely a bit skewed by childhood glee. I used to call it Ho Ho's. Some have told me it was Annie Oakley's but I can't find much information on that and the information I have found doesn't say anything about Christmas decorations, etc. This would have been in the 1980's. Any help is very much appreciated. It is a site of some of my fondest memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 799 times
I I to remember photos pool 1963big pool large palm trees with 2 pools diving pool and swimming pool south Phoenix also rolling green grass hills to picnic on it was great the biggest pool i ever seen

Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 704 times
I remember Funny Fellows! My boyfriend used to take me there once in awhile to have a bite and listen to Joe circa 1977. I always requested "Wynken, Blynken and Nod" which he played on the Irish harp and usually used to close the show. Fond memories!

Old 01-13-2019, 06:16 PM

48 posts, read 74,045 times
Does anyone have information about Isaac Men's Park? I've seen a few references to it from the '40s and '50s. It was apparently located north of Isaac School near 35th Avenue and Christy (now McDowell) Road. I lived in the area in the '60s, but I don't recall a park being there. Old aerial photos don't shed much light on the subject - other than to show what could be a baseball field and possibly some kind of structure (grandstand?). I've read that Duke Ellington and His Orchestra performed there on September 3, 1947.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 465 times
Default Reflections of the 1940's

I was born in Phoenix on August 1946 at St. Joseph's Hospital and our home was at 1095 North 21st Place. Lived there until I was about seven and then the family moved to Louisiana, then PA and later back to LA. Only got to visit AZ a few times since leaving, the last time in 1978 to see my grandmother. She lived in an old adobe house with a lot of plants growing the yard. Her parents lived in another abode house about fifty feet away. Their back yards were desert with a lot of cactus and sand, where me and my brother loved to explore. Our house on N 21st was several blocks from a huge canal that was awesome and scary for us kids. I remember we had a B&W TV and we watched the early episodes of The Lone Ranger and there was a creepy clown show. All of us boys had to wear cowboy hats and boots and have the two guns in holsters set. My grandmother had one of those water cooling units that ran 24-7, but kept the house nice and cool, especially at night. My family home and grandmothers are both long gone now.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:14 PM

196 posts, read 433,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLATX View Post
I was born in Phoenix on August 1946 at St. Joseph's Hospital and our home was at 1095 North 21st Place. Lived there until I was about seven and then the family moved to Louisiana, then PA and later back to LA. Only got to visit AZ a few times since leaving, the last time in 1978 to see my grandmother. She lived in an old adobe house with a lot of plants growing the yard. Her parents lived in another abode house about fifty feet away. Their back yards were desert with a lot of cactus and sand, where me and my brother loved to explore. Our house on N 21st was several blocks from a huge canal that was awesome and scary for us kids. I remember we had a B&W TV and we watched the early episodes of The Lone Ranger and there was a creepy clown show. All of us boys had to wear cowboy hats and boots and have the two guns in holsters set. My grandmother had one of those water cooling units that ran 24-7, but kept the house nice and cool, especially at night. My family home and grandmothers are both long gone now.

Most of that area got leveled for the I-10 and the 202 freeway. Google search shows there is still a house at that address. You can also see a historical aerial shot from as far back as 1958.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:03 AM

1 posts, read 46 times
I've been trying to find someone who might have worked at Frenchy's Shrimp House for 20 years! I am trying to get a recipe for their shrimp sauce. It was very thin and incredibly flavorful. I remember them from the 1960's when they were on 19th Ave. Can anyone help?

Old Today, 01:00 PM

1 posts
The Indian's name at Dr Munchies was Alex Garcia He was also Manager for a time.Had some great times there Evil Knevil would stop in from time to time ,Also Dick Van Dyke Loggins and Mesina did an Album cover pic there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or