Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 10:08 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy butler View Post
totally remember drama queen Aquanetta didn't they play a song called they used to call me Mr. Football when they ran their commercials? also who was the kid show host that was in the middle of the thalidomide scandal?
We've talked about her a few times in earlier posts, but yeah, she was an Arapaho Indian who was marketed as a South American in her B-Movie career. She passed away a while back. Her then-husband Jack Ross's theme song went "They like to call him Mr. Touchdown / They like to call him Mister 'T'!" I think he was a former college football star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 10:11 AM

537 posts, read 1,545,618 times
Default Ron's Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy butler View Post
17th and osborn was a private swim club
The Ron's Club closed a few years ago and was donated by the members to the city of Phoenix. The members got old and died.

I was on "Peanut Bandstand," about 1958. It was a local American Bandstand for kids at Channel 3 when it was at 16th. St. and Osborn.

If you like really wonderful sausage, go to Schreiner's at 7th. St. and Whitton. (Just north of Osborn) I have memories of that place over fifty years ago. Abosolutely the best bratwurst anywhere. The best of fine sausage and meat anywhere. Still run by descendants of the original owner, Otto Schreiner. Little red cottage on the east side of the street and huge meat packing plant behind.

Mod Cut: No links with less than 10 posts

Last edited by Grannysroost; 03-07-2010 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 AM

537 posts, read 1,545,618 times
Default Acquanetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
We've talked about her a few times in earlier posts, but yeah, she was an Arapaho Indian who was marketed as a South American in her B-Movie career. She passed away a while back. Her then-husband Jack Ross's theme song went "They like to call him Mr. Touchdown / They like to call him Mister 'T'!" I think he was a former college football star.
Acquanetta became a new age practitioner toward the end of her life. The theme song for the Jack Ross Lincoln Mercury commercials was, "Mr. Touchdown." "And here she is, star of stage, screen, radio and television." She and her kids frequented Wallace and Ladmo. If you bought a car from Jack Ross, you got a trunk full of groceries for free. I used to see her driving around Phoenix with her red-headed kids in Lincolns. There was a story that went around, that Jack was having and extra-marital you-know-what. Acquanetta caught wind of it and hired a cement truck to fill up his Lincoln Continental convertible with concrete while it was parked at an afternoon get together.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:45 AM

19 posts, read 86,708 times
Do you remember when it may have been closed? (The Gilded Cage)

Old 03-07-2010, 10:57 AM

Default Nelson's pool -

Yep, knew it well, even into the 70's. Only place in the world you could find those big inner tubes to conquer. I took swimming lessons there and at the old YWCA. Saw my first naked girl-lady there - Anyhow - Worst memory; Dickie Strief was my friend from Kindergarten, 1st Baptist on Central in the early 50's. Dickie was there with his family and the story is some big kids kept pushing him under - he drowned. It was a pretty wild place where you could get into fights or pick up girls. Best memory was being there with my dad, watching him do Jack-knive's and such off the high board. Remember kids swimming in the irrigation canals and going out to the "Flummes"?

Old 03-07-2010, 11:19 AM

Default Cudia City?!!!

It was a treat to go there when I was a kid and try and figure out what went on there. Kind spooky place with a wierd name - Oddley enough, my dad Lawrence VanSant, was the Contractor who built the studios in Carefree many years later -
Wilson and VanSant Construction.

"In 1938, Salvatore Pace Bondanza Cudia, an Italian immigrant, built a 2-street Western set and movie studio on 160 acres at the northeast corner of Camelback Road and 40th Street in Phoenix. This facility became known as Cudia City. Four movies were made there, beginning in 1941. (Other movie projects were derailed by World War II.)
In 1957, ABC Films created a Western TV series to compete with Warner Bros.
popular show, “Maverick”. Tales adapted from the actual case files of the Arizona Rangers (around 1901) were recounted in “26 Men”, which aired on ABC TV between 1957 and 1959. (I recently obtained a DVD of the first four episodes.) So if you ever find yourself quaffing a beverage over on the patio at Chelsea’s Kitchen, look to the East across 40th Street and picture the Rangers galloping around as someone croons the theme song:
“This is the story of 26 men who rode the Arizona
territory….26 men who lived to ride again, and
fight for the right and the liberty of all”.
Cudia Cty burned to the ground in 1967. Tract homes called “Cudia City
Estates” and an apartment complex were built in its place."

From 100 South Mill Avenue

Old 03-07-2010, 11:25 AM

53 posts, read 167,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie53 View Post
I used to swim there and was wondering where it used to be, too.

I was reading through some of the posts tonight, and they brought back so many memories. I went to some of those boon dockers "out in the middle of nowhere." My father played piano at the Green Gables for a while. He also played for the Lew King show; he took me there sometimes, and I remember Wayne Newton, and his brother Jerry, when they were kids. I used to wear one of those costumes at Bobby McGee's, where I was a hostess for a while. I remember the Tang's and the Smitty's. I also remember a U-Totem on Bethany Home Rd., just east of 21st Avenue. We used to walk down there to buy Big Hunk candy bars for about a nickle, I think.

I feel ancient!
I used to work at the Kinney's shoe store on Bethany & approx 24 Ave went to the Bethany theatre a lot...there was also a Marie Callandars in an A frame building on the south side of Bethany when that restaurant was just starting here. Loved Big Hunks too..

Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
The Ron's Club closed a few years ago and was donated by the members to the city of Phoenix. The members got old and died.

I was on "Peanut Bandstand," about 1958. It was a local American Bandstand for kids at Channel 3 when it was at 16th. St. and Osborn.

If you like really wonderful sausage, go to Schreiner's at 7th. St. and Whitton. (Just north of Osborn) I have memories of that place over fifty years ago. Abosolutely the best bratwurst anywhere. The best of fine sausage and meat anywhere. Still run by descendants of the original owner, Otto Schreiner. Little red cottage on the east side of the street and huge meat packing plant behind.

Mod Cut: No links with less than 10 posts
I need to try Schreiner's I've been in different restaurants that use their products.andd have read great reviews...I'm so glad other ppls memories are somewhat intact..could not remeber name of swim club but knew Nelson's was n on 19th ave.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
yeah Mr. Touchdown..I was close...you're memory is fantastic!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:42 AM

the owners of Wild Life world zoo had their set up in town before moving out west.you're memories are much like mine...Bob's had the BEST Hot Fudge Sundae in the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area