Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 02:09 PM

537 posts, read 1,544,948 times

Advertisements

Click image for larger version

Name:	toys.jpg
Views:	1212
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	59674
Toy's Shangrila 16th. St. and Camelback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 02:26 PM

537 posts, read 1,544,948 times
Thanks, Roosevelt. Thought I'd post Toy's Shangri La, too. The Toys operated a grocery store right on the corner of 16th. and Camelback. Mrs. Toy would take a few minutes and go into the back of the store to give birth to another child. They had ten children. The missionaries would come by and give the children Christian names. I think they're all still living. I know some of them. Mr. Toy bought real estate constantly. Some of his kids convinced him to sell some of the property that would never amount to anything. That was property in Paradise Valley. The Toys sold and delivered alot of groceries to wealthy people who lived in Biltmore estates. Seems some of them did alot of their own cooking (Fear of being poisoned by others). Mr. Toy bought most of his kids homes. They had to take a petition around for neighbors to sign so they could buy a house for one of the daughters north of Camelback Rd. on about 21st. St. Chinese could not live in that neighborhood. I think that the daughter still lives in that house. The properties are now holdings of Toy Enterprises. I remember seeing all the colorfully lit neon pagodas at night, going by in the car as a kid, and thinking what wonderment must be in that building. I must have thought it was a toy store.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:17 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
Great picture, thanks. I see Camelback Mountain. I think Bratt's was located on Verde Lane and 16th St. one block north of Thomas. Late 40's is right, a few years before Bratt's was at 232 West Washington downtown.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
Thanks, Roosevelt. Thought I'd post Toy's Shangri La, too. The Toys operated a grocery store right on the corner of 16th. and Camelback. Mrs. Toy would take a few minutes and go into the back of the store to give birth to another child. They had ten children. The missionaries would come by and give the children Christian names. I think they're all still living. I know some of them. Mr. Toy bought real estate constantly. Some of his kids convinced him to sell some of the property that would never amount to anything. That was property in Paradise Valley. The Toys sold and delivered alot of groceries to wealthy people who lived in Biltmore estates. Seems some of them did alot of their own cooking (Fear of being poisoned by others). Mr. Toy bought most of his kids homes. They had to take a petition around for neighbors to sign so they could buy a house for one of the daughters north of Camelback Rd. on about 21st. St. Chinese could not live in that neighborhood. I think that the daughter still lives in that house. The properties are now holdings of Toy Enterprises. I remember seeing all the colorfully lit neon pagodas at night, going by in the car as a kid, and thinking what wonderment must be in that building. I must have thought it was a toy store.
Toy's opened in 1950 and closed in 1975. His daughter Betsy worked there while going to college, more recently she opened the Blue Fin fast food place just north of the new library. Toy immigrated from China in 1909 and worked as a houseboy and cook for 50 cents a day. He worked hard and delivered food to the TB patients in Sunnyslope, no one else would do that. Toy would camp overnight on the way to Sunnyslope at 16th and Camelback with his horse and wagon and eventually bought the property.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:14 PM

214 posts, read 646,406 times
One of my favorite Wallace & Ladmo moments...

YouTube - Sgt. Harry Florian visits Wallace & Ladmo

Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 AM

19 posts, read 86,655 times
Default Nut Farms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
It HAS been awhile...you are right - Hi Jolly Date Gardens.
In the early 50's as a child, I used to live close to the corner of 7th Ave and Glendale. On that corner was Travis Date Farms (?) anyhow he had dates, pomegranates, all kinds of citrus, chickens and dates. Kind of a roadside business. We were way outside the city limits then. My dad was a custom builder and we were one of the first houses built on that street W. Flynn Lane, which went through a large orange grove. I ate so many oranges that the enamel on my teeth was etched off causing problems from then on -

Old 03-22-2010, 10:31 AM

Default La Perla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbota View Post
Hello everyone ... This is my first post on this board. Somehow I stumbled on this website and was interested very much in reading this thread.

My parents and I moved to Phoenix back in 1960. They bought a new house in the area between Glandale Ave and Northern Ave just off of 39th Ave. I remember that the subdivision was built by Womack Construction.

I graduated from Cortez High back in 1966. The high school was very new back then. I believe the class of 66 was either the 2nd or 3rd class to graduate from that school ... I do know there was a graduating class of 65.

Anyway, I am reading of some mexican resturants that people here have remembered from the past. My families favorite choice back in the early 60s and later was called the La Perla which was just a hair west of Grand Ave on Glendale Ave. Back then, the La Perla was not very fancy, but had very authentic mexican food. I would say that 90% of the customers back then were indeed local Mexicans from the Glendale area.

Doing a Google search, I see that the La Perla is still in business today!

Someone mentioned "cruising Central" .... We used to cruise Central Avenue always between the McDonalds and the Library. Back and forth. back and forth. My dad bought a brand new 1965 Impala SS with the new 396 engine that was first offered in 1965 as a replacement for the 409 ... He had the car for only 3 days before I wrecked it on Central. Don't remember him ever letting me drive that car again!

Anyway, it was great reading all these posts here about Phoenix ... Sure brings back the memories!

Ron,
Bacolod City, Philippines
My parents went to La Perla way back when they first opened 1930's???
Anyhow, yes very good food, for generations. We also liked Mr.s VanZant's Ponchos' Patio, it was on Central Ave.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvsgnw View Post
In the early 50's as a child, I used to live close to the corner of 7th Ave and Glendale. On that corner was Travis Date Farms (?) anyhow he had dates, pomegranates, all kinds of citrus, chickens and dates. Kind of a roadside business. We were way outside the city limits then. My dad was a custom builder and we were one of the first houses built on that street W. Flynn Lane, which went through a large orange grove. I ate so many oranges that the enamel on my teeth was etched off causing problems from then on -
That was Travis Date Garden at 705 W. Glendale. Lots of the Travis family living on 7th Ave. in the 40's.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:36 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,758 times
Default La Perla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvsgnw View Post
My parents went to La Perla way back when they first opened 1930's???
Anyhow, yes very good food, for generations. We also liked Mr.s VanZant's Ponchos' Patio, it was on Central Ave.
Heres how it appeared in May 2003.
Maybe the most authentic Mexican food in Phx.
Just don't go down there at night unless you speak the language.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-la-perla.jpg  

Old 03-22-2010, 08:37 PM

Yes! I remember that place well! I had a girlfriend who had a Visa Card, one of the first. We maxed it out on rugs and black light stuff and clothes. We were very into pot then and whatever else that was natural. There were so many junkies then. They seem tame now compared to the Meth-heads. I grew up in Phoenix those days you knew where the bad part of town was and stayed away, if you were smart. Now days crime come to your door. I do remember the crazy crimes when people would go berzerk with the heat and just start shooting people here and there - interesections and beauty shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area