Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 06:29 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
I have a friend who is looking for an Acquanetta doll. Any ideas?
here's a picture of one....along with everything you'd want to know about "The Venezuelan Volcano"...

Acqua Blues - Page 1 - Arts - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 PM

and here's a funny trailer for a bad movie Acquanetta made....

YouTube - CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN TRAILER 1943 JOHN CARRADINE

sorry to veer off the "old Phoenix" mood....this was too funny to pass over....was looking for old clips of her Jack Ross commercials, but didn't find any....

and.....

I noticed the youtube clip somebody posted several weeks ago of the KOOL TV Channel 10 "Blessed is the Nation whose God is the Lord" statement is now down for copyright violations or something....after I asked if anybody remembered that, a nice person posted the clip....that was a "kool" memory......wish it would appear again somewhere in internet land

Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 PM

37 posts, read 146,261 times
There was a large building on 19th just below Cactus that sat vacant for about 15 years. Looked like a Spanish Castle.

It was originally called El Cid lanes and was built in the late 60's/early 70's. The man behind it was a Dr. Hall ( I think his first name might have been Karl ). It was almost finished and then sat vacant for many years. Early 80's it finally opened for a year or two, had a very good restaurant too, and then began it's many changes in owners.

Dr. Hall also owned a private hospital on the south slope of North Mountain in the 50's and 60's. It sat well above Sunnyslope school in an area now filled in with houses. Below is a postcard pic. The cool thing was, if you turned around from where the photographer stood, you'd see a nice round pool.. then kind of a jungle area, where for a time he had three or four large cages with orangutans. A strange set-up, but very cool to explore when mom and dad were visiting someone in the hospital.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:13 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
and here's a funny trailer for a bad movie Acquanetta made....

sorry to veer off the "old Phoenix" mood....this was too funny to pass over....was looking for old clips of her Jack Ross commercials, but didn't find any....
When I was a kid I went to every Tarzan movie and remembered Acquanetta vividly in Tarzan and the Leopard Woman, she stole every scene she was in. Here is a still from that movie. I lived near the KPHO studio behind the Westward Ho and saw her on her way to do commercials, you could spot her a block away she was so striking.......

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:31 AM..

Old 06-21-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian740 View Post
There was a large building on 19th just below Cactus that sat vacant for about 15 years. Looked like a Spanish Castle.

It was originally called El Cid lanes and was built in the late 60's/early 70's. The man behind it was a Dr. Hall ( I think his first name might have been Karl ). It was almost finished and then sat vacant for many years. Early 80's it finally opened for a year or two, had a very good restaurant too, and then began it's many changes in owners.
Yes, that was the name, probably named after the movie El Cid with Charlton Heston. People were looking at the place for a night club but bad location; there were a lot of hot ones in Phoenix at the time: Bogart's, Boot's, Malarkey's, Tommy's, Willy's & Guiermos? and many other smaller places like Neptune's Table that converted to dancing after hours; some even had disco dancing instruction; wonderful times in the 70's.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:18 AM

83 posts, read 311,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Yes, that was the name, probably named after the movie El Cid with Charlton Heston. People were looking at the place for a night club but bad location; there were a lot of hot ones in Phoenix at the time: Bogart's, Boot's, Malarkey's, Tommy's, Willy's & Guiermos? and many other smaller places like Neptune's Table that converted to dancing after hours; some even had disco dancing instruction; wonderful times in the 70's.
i remember Malarkey's, but the Tommy's i remember was a teen night club on camelback and about 7th Street. is that the same place? granted that was back in the Mid 80's when i went there.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
i remember Malarkey's, but the Tommy's i remember was a teen night club on camelback and about 7th Street. is that the same place? granted that was back in the Mid 80's when i went there.
Tommy's was an Italian restaurant in front and a disco night club in back for adults. Before that it was the Singing Canary restaurant that looked like an old mining shack.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,437 times
Anyone remember this building?

I took this photo back in 1978. There used to be an "old" Mill Avenue Bridge that was falling apart and decrepit - nevertheless, it wasn't closed off and you could park in a vacant lot just off of Mill Avenue (on the north side of the bridge) and walk partly across. The old bridge was located, if memory serves, just a little west of the railroad bridge, which itself was just a bit west of the current bridge.

This abandoned building of stone construction was next to that vacant lot, right by the entrance to the bridge, just to the west of the northern side of the bridge. It was empty but unlocked and ungated, covered with graffiti inside, and probably was a a party spot for teens and/or a hobo jungle for the nearby train track. I never saw anyone inside though (probably a good thing - it was pretty isolated). You can just see the dry river bed of the Salt River (pre "Tempe Town Lake") on the other side.

Interesting looking building, with the lookout tower on top. I always wondered what it formerly was - a private residence? A bar or restaurant? Some kind of railroad office? Anyone know?

It's long since been demolished.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,437 times
I think I found the answer to my question. The Internet is a wonderful thing.

I looked on the Tempe Historical Society website, it looks like it was the old Elvin E. White House, built back in 1919 and demolished in 1982. It was built by White, a school teacher and farmer from Davis, California. He built it using cobblestone from the Salt River and steel railroad rails. That lookout tower was actually a 3-story water tank.

Here's a photo of how it looked back in the day:
Elvin E. White House - Tempe, Arizona

From that site, I also learned the original bridge was built in 1911 - 1913 but was unable to support heavier traffic and was too congested, so the new one was built 1929 - 1931.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:50 PM

Az Mike....

is the old bridge you're mentioning actually the old Ash Avenue Bridge - about one or two blocks W of Mill Ave?....

built in 1913, it was torn down about ten or more years ago, but a very short stub of it was preserved on the Tempe side of the river, now within the Tempe Beach park area.....

http://www.tempe.gov/historicpres/im...AveBridge4.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area