Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 12:18 PM

283 posts, read 880,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by learicalAZ View Post
Dave Nichols?
Good guess, but no. Actually may be too tough most everyone to get. He was a friend of our family so this is a no-brainer for me.

Big hint: He was the assignments editor at channel 10 and left to be Barry Goldwater's press secretary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 04:12 PM

214 posts, read 646,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
I am the poster of that youtube clip...my account was terminated for copyright violations. I will get that back up and post a link to it very soon. What do you mean by non-PC video/audio?
As promised...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik94av5utys

Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,614 times
Default Arizona Music Center

Quote:
I
Guitar lessons from Joe Herman at Arizona Music Center.

Double sessions at Maryvale High Sophomore and Junior year (Freshman year I went to Bourgade).
OMFG!

Joe Herman was my guitar teacher too. I had forgotten his name until I just read it now. Thank you. We all had 8 x10 full color glossy portraits of ourselves lined up along the walls near the ceiling at Arizona Music Center. Its still there BTW (Metro Music) I think. He taught me Bad Moon Rising! Creedence had just released it. I was in heaven. You could rent a fender Stratocaster and Fender Backstage amp for $25 a month. Sweet. I played the 7th grade talent show at Barcelona in 1968 with a cherry red Strat. I was cool.

I was also class on '73 at Alhambra (Maryvale's sister school) and we too had double sessions.

Joe Herman- what a trip.

Heres a shot I swiped off Flickr
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-screen-shot-2011-01-31-5.13.20  

Old 01-31-2011, 06:12 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,807 times
Quote:
No, Space Ghost was a cartoon, voiced by Gary Owens (of Rowen and Martin's Laugh In fame).
I don't think the puppet ever spoke where the TV audience could hear. My older brother believes the ghost puppet whispered to the host, and the host would repeat what the puppet said. The host may have been a newscaster for whatever station broadcast the show, or so big bro recalls.
I grew up here in the 1960s and 1970s and watched a lot of TV, but that doesn't sound at all familiar to me. Could it have been a show on Channel 21? That was originally a Spanish-language TV station that was bought and became a Christian broadcasting station that did a lot of local programming, including some (presumably) local children's shows. They were based out of Tower Plaza for a time. They decided to do a show where the off-camera staff were supposed to appear on camera and witness about the Christian beliefs. One of the cameramen (a friend of ours) was Jewish and didn't feel comfortable doing that, but they were so insistent he had to go hide out in the ice skating rink until they gave up.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:33 PM

88 posts, read 273,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I grew up here in the 1960s and 1970s and watched a lot of TV, but that doesn't sound at all familiar to me. Could it have been a show on Channel 21? That was originally a Spanish-language TV station that was bought and became a Christian broadcasting station that did a lot of local programming, including some (presumably) local children's shows. They were based out of Tower Plaza for a time. They decided to do a show where the off-camera staff were supposed to appear on camera and witness about the Christian beliefs. One of the cameramen (a friend of ours) was Jewish and didn't feel comfortable doing that, but they were so insistent he had to go hide out in the ice skating rink until they gave up.
I don't think Channel 21, or even Channel 8 existed then.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 PM

201 posts, read 545,176 times
Can anyone tell me if the Parks Mobil Gas Station is still on the NW corner of 27th Ave and West Camelback Rd?? Leroy Parks was the owner from the early 1970's until??? He had bright red hair. Not sure if Leroy retired and sold it or not. He used to work on our cars and was a very good mechanic. Honest and dependable. He was always friendly with us. Hope he did ok after all those years under a hood in the garage where temperatures were always soooo flippin hot... Now there's a hot job for ya.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:48 PM

201 posts, read 545,176 times
I have been looking for information online about if and when Mrs JP Sands of Glendale, AZ passed away. She is/was the wife of the owner of Sands Chevrolet in Glendale, AZ and they owned almost all of the open farm land from 51st Ave and Northern to what would become the new Valley West Mall at 59th Ave and south to Orangewood. They started selling it off in blocks for tract homes etc. I knew her in the late 1970's and early 1980's. What a gracious and kind woman. One of the best women I knew back then. She was kind enough to write me a letter of recommendation that lead to me getting my first real job. Thank you Mrs Sands. Anybody know when and if she passed away? Where she was laid to rest? Thanks!!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
OMFG!

Joe Herman was my guitar teacher too. I had forgotten his name until I just read it now. Thank you. We all had 8 x10 full color glossy portraits of ourselves lined up along the walls near the ceiling at Arizona Music Center. Its still there BTW (Metro Music) I think. He taught me Bad Moon Rising! Creedence had just released it. I was in heaven. You could rent a fender Stratocaster and Fender Backstage amp for $25 a month. Sweet. I played the 7th grade talent show at Barcelona in 1968 with a cherry red Strat. I was cool.

Joe Herman- what a trip.
My mom picked Joe Herman because she saw the Ruby, owner of AZ Music Center, had her child taking lessons from Joe. First few months that I took lessons, I rented a Fender Newport acoustic guitar. My parents weren't about to shell out for a guitar until they were sure I was really interested. Started lessons in August, 1967; got my own guitar from Govway for Christmas, 1967. Took lessons for 2 years, until I started high school in the fall of 1969.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
I have been looking for information online about if and when Mrs JP Sands of Glendale, AZ passed away. She is/was the wife of the owner of Sands Chevrolet in Glendale, AZ
Louie Sands, what a great, great guy,
Louie Sands, for great Chevy buys.
Out in Glendale {sorry, I forget the rest of the jingle}

Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 AM

Exclamation And the answer is:

Quote:
a trivia question for anyone who remembers:
I can't give you the exact year, but in the extremely late 50's or early 60's (I'd say 59, 60 or 61), It's Wallace was getting a bit violent (too much slap in the slapstick). Phoenix area mothers complained, and a competitor arose. He was a puppet of a ghost, probably on Channel 10 or 12, I don't think it was 3. KPHO got the hint, Wallace and Ladmo toned it down, and soon everyone was back to watching Channel 5. The question: What was the name of the ghost puppet? Any added details would be great, but this is all I remember. (somewhere there exists a photo of one of my brothers and me wearing t-shirts from this program.)

I can't believe my brother and I are the only people who remember

HERMAN SPOOT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area