Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Ah, yes, Waring blenders. The Julius mix that was added to the juice was, in fact, a powder. Interesting that they are hooked up with Dairy Queen now.
Speaking of Dairy Queen, the old one on Central one block north of Camelback has just had, I assume, a corporate remodel that looks nothing like the old style but still is very attractive. I also note the Cheese Deli or whatever the name is, next door has been featured in a new book by the City of Phoenix on modern architecture from the 40's to the 80's in Phoenix. When they remodeled that strip mall, the deli adamantly refused to changed their sign; good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:06 PM

10 posts, read 28,560 times
The deli is Cheese and Stuff, and they had a globe or globe sign on the roof in the early '60s when I lived around the corner on Medlock. I still remember the smell, exotic and strong, especially for the times.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:13 AM

201 posts, read 545,029 times
What ever happened to Linda Alvarez the latina co-anchor at KPNX Channel 12 after she left for Los Angeles market? I never saw her on TV after that. Is she still in TV journalism?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 AM

Best ASU football game ever? ASU victorious in the Rose Bowl against Michigan. Like so many of us that traveled to Pasadena with the team, we came back with no voices from all the rooting for the team. Spent the night on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena and watched the annual Tournament of Roses Parade before the big game. Santa Fe Railway executives arrived in style in their own private executive configured train coach fully restored with the Super Chief paint scheme. Wish ASU would repeat and head back to the Rose Bowl again. I would definately fly to LA to be a part of the the experience again. If you ever get the chance to go, I highly recommend it. Go ASU ASU ASU Sun Devils!!!!

Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 AM

The Santa Fe Railway Super Chief 1950's service...cool video post from Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNyAQir_dfo

Enjoy!

Old 02-09-2011, 12:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
What ever happened to Linda Alvarez the latina co-anchor at KPNX Channel 12 after she left for Los Angeles market? I never saw her on TV after that. Is she still in TV journalism?
According to a news article about her departure from KCBS in 2007, she was basically retiring from TV, to spend time traveling with her husband, etc. I can't find anything that changes that afterwards.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 AM

24,288 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Best ASU football game ever? ASU victorious in the Rose Bowl against Michigan. Like so many of us that traveled to Pasadena with the team, we came back with no voices from all the rooting for the team. Spent the night on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena and watched the annual Tournament of Roses Parade before the big game. Santa Fe Railway executives arrived in style in their own private executive configured train coach fully restored with the Super Chief paint scheme. Wish ASU would repeat and head back to the Rose Bowl again. I would definately fly to LA to be a part of the the experience again. If you ever get the chance to go, I highly recommend it. Go ASU ASU ASU Sun Devils!!!!
Agreed. What a game. I was on my way to my new assignment at George AFB in CA the next day (2 Jan 87), lots of maroon and gold poms and ribbons on the cars heading back tp PHX. Lots of unhappy Wolverines at the Blythe gas stations.

Runners up - 1996 win over Nebraska, 19-0, and 1975 Fiesta Bowl, also over Nebraska (was at both of those).

Personal favorite was the 1983 Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma. I was flying back from PHX to OKC for pilot training after the Christmas break so obviously could not make the game (flying on the "Old" Frontier Airlines... remember them?). At the parking lot gate at the airport the attendant wasn't too happy. She had a little TV with the Fiesta Bowl on, and Marcus Dupree was out... OU was losing in the final minutes. I asked how the game was, she wasn't pleased at all. She gave me a gesture as I drove off after seeing my AZ plates and ASU Alumni sticker.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,301 times
Default The brothers from the westside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
OK. Im bored and the boss went home, so heres another to spark your collective memories.

My entire childhood here was essentially spent drooling over anything that had an engine & wheels. Models kits (cars only- ships & planes were for dorks) - slot cars (especially HO scale) - mini bikes - go-karts -doodle-bugs, Hot Rod Cartoons & CycleToons Magazine and - The Drags at Beeline.

Im an illustrator and when looking through my old drawings awhile back I discovered 90% of them were of cars and related machinery.hmm.

Anyway here's Beeline Dragway as seen recently from high above courtesy of Google Earth. Inset shows the timing tower which I understand is still standing there. Also a little montage of Beeline for you dining & dancing pleasure. enjoy motorheads.

remember this ? ....BRING YOUR CAMERA !!!!!!!!!
Do you recall the brothers from the westside running a 56 or 57 chevy at beeline in the mid 70's dominated high school and friday nite drags until a 71 gremlin (primer) kicked their butts. The brothers vowed to retire the car if they ever lost a race and they did, i went to East High with the gremmie had a 390 think ford in it low key hot rodder. The corvette in the pic was first car down the track.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:18 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,278 times
Default Arizona Highways

Quote:
I wish I still had all my old Arizona Highways magazines. Probably would be worth alot nowdays..of course
I have about 300 issues going back to the 1960-70 up to recent.
Interested?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:30 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,278 times
Default rod-snappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbee440 View Post
Do you recall the brothers from the westside running a 56 or 57 chevy at beeline....
can't say that I do, but Alhambra High had Harry Miller in his white 1972 Camaro Z28 -blown. We would hang out in the parking lot after school just to hear him start it up and "drive" away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area