Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 04:14 PM

12 posts, read 30,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Does anyone have any old images of "S' mountain and the surrounding area in Sunnyslope - circa 1970? If so could you post a few?
"S" Mountian has a page on FB that has photo of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
In case anyone was wondering if there was a real Blakely of Blakely Service Stations fame, here he is in 1956.

Attachment 58694
As I recall it was Hinkley & Blakely Service Stations before Hinkley passed away

Old 02-26-2011, 07:27 PM

83 posts, read 311,174 times
Quote:
Here is an excerpt from an article on Good Shepherd in 1958. Arts taught by Eileen Felthouse, typing Gloria Martin, cooking Mrs. Jack Eaton.
Attachment 76293
Quote:
Here is Sister Bernardine. That is some gate, looks like you can go in but not get out.....................Who was your grandmother, maybe I have a picture. In case you to not know, the main building is still there and has Starbucks, Einstein Bagels, State Farm Ins. and a beauty shop. Seems to be a favorite area for crazies bumming money because of the patio. Upstairs where the chapel is is closed off because of no elevator so they can't rent it out. In fact, I think the stairway is gone and they have to use a ladder to get up there.

Attachment 76323
Her name was Margarette Eaton, but she also went by Mrs Jack Eaton after my grandfather died.

My grandfather, Jack Eaton, held several fishing records at Roosevelt lake that were standing long after he died. I remember she had the newspaper articles about him framed and up on the wall as a kid.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:16 AM

30 posts, read 101,733 times
Default Penny Arcade

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
I almost forgot about the penny arcade by the Fox theater. Went there with my big brother a couple of times and boy do I remember those crank machines, only I didn't know what they were called. Definitely not what you'd call wholesome family entertainment.
I am surprised this is the only mention of the "Penny Arcade" that I found.

In the mid 50's my older brother would take me on the city bus from 35th Ave/Bethany and go downtown to the movies.

As I recall the Penny Arcade was right across the street from the Fox theater.

I too remember the "crank machines". They also "girly picture post cards" you could buy (I saw other people buying them ).

Anyone with more history/photos of the Penny Arcade would be nice.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:25 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 1946 View Post
I am surprised this is the only mention of the "Penny Arcade" that I found.

In the mid 50's my older brother would take me on the city bus from 35th Ave/Bethany and go downtown to the movies.

As I recall the Penny Arcade was right across the street from the Fox theater.

I too remember the "crank machines". They also "girly picture post cards" you could buy (I saw other people buying them ).

Anyone with more history/photos of the Penny Arcade would be nice.
The penny arcade was named Playland and was at 25 E. Washington next to a fancy woman's store with an Art Deco front. Playland itself used to be Donofrio's ice cream parlor originally. The stained glass windows above the door were still there in the 40's and 50's. Playland added the marquee you can see in the photo. There was a pool hall downstairs with the entrance on the alley. Inside Playland the guy in the cage to make change was on the right and the pin ball machines on the left. the flip cards were next to the cage. In the back they had the games, like the thing that shocked you the longer you held on and my favorite, the bear that went back and forth as you shot it with a beam of light and made it keep turning around. Across the street was the Studio theater.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Playland.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	76349

Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
Her name was Margarette Eaton, but she also went by Mrs Jack Eaton after my grandfather died.

My grandfather, Jack Eaton, held several fishing records at Roosevelt lake that were standing long after he died. I remember she had the newspaper articles about him framed and up on the wall as a kid.
Here she is but her back is to the camera.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02802.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	707.7 KB
ID:	76350

Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 AM

201 posts, read 544,817 times
Rawhide in Scottsdale out in the desert. We used to drink sasparilla and they told us its like a beer but for kids....LOL.... Used to take Midwestern family visiting the Valley out there. They thought that was the coolest place in the world to see the gunfights.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:20 AM

You could always tell when it was winter time in the Valley not only because there were more out of state plates on the cars but also by the increased numbers of " working girls" om East Van Buren near 20th Street...LOL... My Dad used to go that way most of the year with us kids and Mom in the car and we kids could spot the hookers there a mile away. Anyway, Im sure they have cleaned it up somewhat. Or have they??? Hope so.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I asked this on another forum about another city, but to those old enough to remember, do you recall how bad the homeless problem was in Phoenix 40 to 50 years ago? Were there lots of transients or drifters then? Do you recall seeing any on city streets or parks?

We didn't have homeless we had Hobos and desertrats back then

Old 02-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Seems to me there were a lot of social assistance organizations in existance back then also. I seem to remember Salvation Army collecting money with their kettles at the holdays without being harrassaed and even were encouraged. There was the Saint Vicent De Paul dining rooms and others. Transients used to come into town by several means including by hopping the frieght trains. I remember reading about one poor kid of 14 years old that ran away from home and froze to death on a hotshot piggyback frieght train that didnt stop very much. He was found after a 22 hour journey from the midwest. He just got cold, drowsy and fell asleep and that was that. That was back in the late 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area