Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 01:55 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
I remember back when Phoenix was actually a nice place to live. People from other parts of the country envied you when you said that you lived in Phoenix. That was another time, now long past.
Phoenix still is a great place to live. People come from all over the world to live here. Thats the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 02:04 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,758 times
Default Fox Lew King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
Wasn't this The Fox Theater?...Mother used to drop me off for Saturday Cartoons, and in the mix was Lew King's Talent Show. I remember Maxine Johnson and Wayne and Jerry Newton....then one day Jerry's voice changed and Wayne was on his own. Some say Wayne's voice never changed.
Heres a great shot of the Fox.
My dad used to take me there to see the Indy 500 on closed circuit TV in the early 60's.

and Lew too!
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-fox-theater.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-lew-king_2.jpg  

Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 PM

283 posts, read 880,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is a place I never heard of because Bell Road may as well been on the moon in 1950's. Interesting place, lumber, hardware store, and all you could eat (one dollar) for lunch and even a motel. Looks like their dance floor was outside on the dirt. The only time my uncle used Bell Road is when he went to Prescott from Scottsdale.

Attachment 79746
The place is still there, but the dollar lunch is definitely out! We went there in the mid 90s with some friends when we were out honky-tonkin one night. Haven't been back since then.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-wagon-yard.jpg  

Old 05-11-2011, 02:52 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Heres a great shot of the Fox.
My dad used to take me there to see the Indy 500 on closed circuit TV in the early 60's.

and Lew too!
Well here is an interesting picture of the Fox, the movie is The Green Glove 1952.

You can see the fence where Penney's is about to be built. Also Dr. Pease, Dentist; he was there until 1975 when they had to buy him out to get him to move so the Fox could be torn down, I guess no one in Phoenix appreciated Art Deco then. Diamond's changed their name from the Boston Store in the 40's.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:47 PM

220 posts, read 655,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Well here is an interesting picture of the Fox, the movie is The Green Glove 1952.

You can see the fence where Penney's is about to be built. Also Dr. Pease, Dentist; he was there until 1975 when they had to buy him out to get him to move so the Fox could be torn down, I guess no one in Phoenix appreciated Art Deco then. Diamond's changed their name from the Boston Store in the 40's.
I loved downtown Phoenix. I can visualize each store clearly even now. Mother used to take me to Boston Store to buy my clothes and I believe the children's clothing department was on the Mezzanine. I can still hear the lady elevator operator saying "Mezzanine, please step out". I saw many movies at the Fox, The Rialto, The Palms and oh my, the wonderful Orpheum. Mother would say "watch the movie, NOT the ceiling" because you might recall the Orpheum ceiling had clouds that moved. As a teen, we loved to take my mother's 1947 Chrysler and drive down that winding parking garage at the "new" JC Penney store. As a teen we loved to drive behind the court house and hear the jail residents yell at the people walking down the street. Does anyone remember Mama's Little Boy Freddie?.... the teens would flock to that radio "station" and stand in line just to get inside, see the big man in the Hawaiian shirt and take our dedication for a song. Then we would dash to the car as fast as we could so we could hear our dedication to that certain boy crush.
Ahhhh old Phoenix..I miss ya.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM

220 posts, read 655,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 1946 View Post
EXACTLY!

Do you or anyone remember the exact address?
This always is the time I smack my forehead, yell DUH and wonder why I didn't keep some of those 1950 phone books...!! At the back of our high school year book there were pages of advertisers....and many times I will dash to my high school year books (1951-1955) to discover the name of the business I was desperately trying to remember. It seems to be the pub was just south of the small hotel on the southwest corner of Central and Osborn.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 PM

285 posts, read 904,334 times
Quote:
I loved downtown Phoenix. I can visualize each store clearly even now...
Ahhhh old Phoenix..I miss ya.
I'd make a note to get a slice of pepperoni pizza at the Woolworths lunch counter. I remember a New York gentleman who owned a book and newspaper store about three doors west of Woolworths on Washington St. Made a mistake of "reading" one of his newspapers on display and he told me to buy it or leave.
Downtown Phoenix showed character and charm. A literal oasis in the desert. To see how it was then (appearance), just watch Clint Eastwoods "Gauntlet". The buildings pre-US Airways Arena/Chase Field are prominent in some shots.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:50 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
This always is the time I smack my forehead, yell DUH and wonder why I didn't keep some of those 1950 phone books...!! At the back of our high school year book there were pages of advertisers....and many times I will dash to my high school year books (1951-1955) to discover the name of the business I was desperately trying to remember. It seems to be the pub was just south of the small hotel on the southwest corner of Central and Osborn.
There was the Vinton Manor at 3312 N. Central, I have a postcard of the place somewhere. Must have been close to the Pepsi Cola bottling plant at 3200 N. Central; they had a large curved glass front on the building and you could stand outside and see the bottling process.

Some other bars I remember are the Top Hat with its neon sign, The New Yorker, and 307 which later moved its location but kept its old address name.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacileigh View Post
I miss Compton Terrace, anyone remember that venue? I saw Phish there back in the 90's... LOL
The original Compton Terrace near Legend City, or the newer one at Firebird Lake? Saw Foghat (opening act, Blackfoot) at the original in 1980.

Now, as a result of this discussion, "Stone Blue", the opening tune Foghat played, is in my head. Argghh!!!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
The place is still there, but the dollar lunch is definitely out! We went there in the mid 90s with some friends when we were out honky-tonkin one night. Haven't been back since then.
Is the Rusty Nail, "out Bell Road Way, off Avenue 19" still there? Big in 1980 due to the resurgence of C&W as a result of "Urban Cowboy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area