Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
JC Penny/Wards and Korricks (which became The Broadway in 1966) were the 3 original anchor stores. Now they are WalMart /Costco and Target. blech!!!
There is still a JC Penney store there, but in a different location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 07:12 PM

214 posts, read 646,406 times
Chris Town had some good Indian fry bread that was sold at the snack bar, just inside the main entrance.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Stetson Drive, it curved from Scottsdale Road to 5th Ave. where Trader Vic's was; I used to go in and order coffee at Trader Vic's just to get the rock sugar swizzle stick, and all the free sweet crackers. It is a wonder they never threw me out. There was a beautiful two story Spanish building next to Trader Vic's going north;

though much altered, you can still see the distinctive Trader Vic's peaking roof line up above the latest business there..... is it at Stetson and Marshall or 5th Ave and Marshall?????....SW corner??

Last edited by azdr0710; 05-19-2011 at 08:46 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 PM

285 posts, read 904,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The Arabian Horse Show was never held at the present site of Fashion Square. I wish it had been, it would have been a short trip from my house! (They used to grow grapes on a large portion of that land, before the shopping center was built) The first one was at the Biltmore hotel arena in 1955 (there used to be stables there) and it moved to Paradise Park on the McCormick Ranch property, where it stayed until Mrs. McCormick died and the ranch was sold for development. It then moved to the "new" Paradise Park location on Bell Road at about 62nd St (also less well known as "Tatum Farms" for many years, and then to WestWorld, which opened in 1981.

Even this link, from the AHAA, is not entirely accurate, as it leaves out the Bell Road years, which lasted at least a decade.:: Arabian Horse Association of Arizona Show ::
I do remember the Horse show when it at Paradise Park. As kids, we'd go across Shea Blvd to the parks north perimeter (pass by a holding pond that had a coyote den and some tall cottonwood(?) trees) and simply walk in, via the stables and show prep area. I'm was surprised to find the earlier pic that read the Arabian Horse show was at (allegedly) Camelback and Scottsdale Rd's.

I had forgotten the Bell Rd and 62nd Street location.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:54 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
though much altered, you can still see the distinctive Trader Vic's peaking roof line up above the latest business there..... is it at Stetson and Marshall or 5th Ave and Marshall?????....SW corner??
Yes, Marshall, Stetson was across the street and jagged over a bit. I used to really like Craftsman Court. My friends the Chamberlains had stores, an antique shop and the other brother a vintage book store; they didn't like each other very much. There was a guy that made custom perfume and cologne there also, he had this neat fountain outside that always smelled so great. I took a class in stain glass windows next door. Across from Trader Vics and on the corner of Craftsman Court was a Chinese import store. On 5th Avenue closer to Scottsdale Road was the Scandinavian store, it was always like Christmas in that place, stuff all over hanging from the ceiling.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 PM

220 posts, read 655,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Yes it was. Although I dont remember Diamonds at CT.
JC Penny/Wards and Korricks (which became The Broadway in 1966) were the 3 original anchor stores. Now they are WalMart /Costco and Target. blech!!!
Woolworth was right next to Wards on the south end. Walgreens was across from Pennys and Korricks dominated the east end...
oh heck -heres an original floorplan from 1961.

Im pretty sure every stitch of clothing I wore from about 1964 until 1973 was purchased at CT. Dont bother now unless you only want sneakers and baby clothes.
Eventually Diamonds was built at the south end of the West section (from Wards down the mall in a southerly manner) In that section was an Indian Store (maybe Godbers?), Lane Bryant, a mighty fine Chinese Restaurant just outside of Diamonds, and other sundry shops. I did most of my shopping at Christown. Reminds me of the eventual demise of Sears/Rhodes Mall at 24th St and Camelback. That was a nice shopping center and then eventually like all shopping centers the end came. I've watched so many malls go into no man's land....

Old 05-20-2011, 06:13 AM

30 posts, read 101,733 times
Default Pre Fashion Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Maybe around the late 50's, the Arabian Horse Show was held at the present site of Fashion Square. With the shopping center opening around 1960/61 (?), the horse show moved to land on McCormicks Ranch near Pima Rd and Shea Blvd. It has since moved to present day WestWorld.
If observer53 is correct, as stated in Post# 3644 http://www.city-data.com/forum/19223584-post3644.html
"The Arabian Horse Show was never held at the present site of Fashion Square",
what was in the photo?

After looking at historicaerials.com, I don't think it has anything to do with the construction of Fashion Square.

desertskies, do you have a date for that photo?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-scottsdale-fashion-square-future-siteedited.jpg  

Old 05-20-2011, 06:45 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 1946 View Post
If observer53 is correct, as stated in Post# 3644 http://www.city-data.com/forum/19223584-post3644.html
what was in the photo?

After looking at historicaerials.com, I don't think it has anything to do with the construction of Fashion Square.

Looks like early 50's cars, I can see the Ford dealer on the corner, next door is the 'barn' Russ Lyon office and behind that a motel and parking lot. I had a girlfriend that lived in a small house just north of the Fashion Square land and I don't remember a thing except Camelback road was cement, two lanes and had a 4 inch drop off on each side to the shoulder.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Wasn't Sambo's across the Street? Stetson Drive, it curved from Scottsdale Road to 5th Ave. where Trader Vic's was; I used to go in and order coffee at Trader Vic's just to get the rock sugar swizzle stick, and all the free sweet crackers. It is a wonder they never threw me out. There was a beautiful two story Spanish building next to Trader Vic's going north; I was offered the place for $50,000 but thought that was way too much money.
There was a Sambo's there, and a pottery shop with a lot of terra cotta in an adjacent location. There was a Baker's Square later in about the same location, maybe took the old Sambo's?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 1946 View Post
what was in the photo?

Well, I know I'm right on this one. I have no idea what event is in that picture, but it's not the Arabian show. Notice the absence of any barns, horse trailers, or horses, for that matter. That may not be a horse show at all; I have no memory of what's seen in that picture on that northwest corner, whatever it actually is. I suspect it wasn't there long, as we moved here in 1958, (the pic is supposedly 1957) and traveled Camelback regularly to my aunt's house, which was east of Scottsdale Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Check out the description in this link from the Scottsdale library website about the previously posted picture.
Content Pro
That description is, well, incorrect. BTW, the library site says the pic is from 1957.

Check out entry #10 on this link: http://azmemory.lib.az.us/cdm4/brows...SOROOT=/splrem This is the correct history of the early years of the show. Some other interesting stuff on that site, too.

Last edited by observer53; 05-20-2011 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area