Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 10:54 AM

285 posts, read 904,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You guys don't go back nearly far enough... I remember when most of Pima Road, if not all of it, wasn't paved. SCC wasn't close to being on the drawing board.
Touche!

I do recall Pima Rd not paved north of Cactus Rd to the power lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 AM

283 posts, read 880,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Does anyone remember the Blue Goat Pub at Miller and Indian School? A web search shows a number of local talents played there, and it was popular with KCAC.
Wasn't the Blue Goat or something similar once located on the west side of McClintock on the north side of the river bottom? We went there a couple of times and liked the outdoor area with the heaters in the wintertime.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:23 AM

272 posts, read 608,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
...There were the interesting "creatures" on the restroom doors which attempted to depict the proper gender. Many an intoxicated patron went to the wrong door.
Uh, yeah. I was one of the many - several times over...

Quote:
This may seem surprising to some, but I always found Minder Binders (and Dooley's, later re-named "After The Gold Rush") to be more "upscale". The Devil House, Hammerheads, and Timothy O'Tooles (which was right across from ASU on Rural) were more my speed...
Jeeze - I'd totally forgotten about After The Gold Rush. Many an ill-spent (and equally ill-remembered) night there. When The Devil House crowd got too rowdy, we'd end up at Gold Rush.

I am seriously enjoying this thread.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:05 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
When was this? The first place I lived ('83) was about 1/2 mile north of Shea, just east of Pima.
That's one hell of a walk.

Re MinderBinders: Yeah. Crying shame they're gone.
Re Fashion Square: Before my time...

BTW - wasn't there an Italian restaurant in the old Scottsdale Fashion Square? It was in the section of small stores that faced Scottsdale Rd, if I remember correctly.

I was hoping to visit some old haunts once I moved back. Sad to see so much of what I remember either changed beyond all recognition, or gone entirely.
OTOH, what should I expect after 15 yrs?

lol I should have qualified Minder Binders being fun...40 yrs ago everything was fun...that's because nothing hurt. Today I don't believe it would be quite as much fun.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
WAAAAAY before my time there - although my best friend remembered when Pima ended with zebra boards at Indian School.

He grew up in the valley; I didn't. I showed up as Legend City was being demolished.

Oh my, I must be old...I remember when Legend City was built!!

Old 02-18-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Oh my, I must be old...I remember when Legend City was built!!
Me too!!! I recall that Legend City was touted to be an amusement park on par with Disneyland. Just didn't work out that way. I had to pass there everyday on my way to work and watch it's destruction.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:33 PM

Legend City

Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 PM

59 posts, read 194,579 times
Just got off the phone with a friend that lives in Phoenix. We both grew up in South Phoenix and during our talk she mentioned Broadway Pool and her memory of how cold the water was even on the hottest days. I only went there once or twice when I was very young and my memory is fuzzy at best. Any Southsiders out there that can give me some info about Broadway Pool ? Roosevelt please sir ?,or anyone else with some memory of going there.This was something about living in Phoenix that I had completly forgotten about , since I usally swam at Roosevelt pool or the Boy's Club.

Last edited by AzSon; 02-18-2012 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Lame typing and editing skills

Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 AM

93 posts, read 253,680 times
We had some friends who invested everything in Legend City. They had saved and saved to buy an airplane but along came Legend City. I think they lost every cent.

I worked at Legend City for about 3 -5 days. Then they closed for a while; they did that a few times. When it closed for the last time they were selling off stuff. We were interested in the Marble Soda (ice cream) fountain. I had forgotten how large it was so we passed. I also wanted an old streetlight but it would have required a jackhammer to get one out. They had a huge concrete base. I ended up with some amusement ride literature from the maintenance shops.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 AM

93 posts, read 253,680 times
I never swam at Broadway pool but my wife did. She also said it was very cold. I understand water was supplied by a deep irrigation type well from the aquafir.
I did go to Roosevelt pool a few times. All I really remember was getting unexpectedly pushed in by a mischievious friend. Since I really did not know how to swim it was very embarassing and caused a stir resulting in a lecture for him and threatened expulsion. Ha! Served him right! I did eventually learn to swim.

I was told Nelson's Pool, by the canal on North 7th st, got their water from the canal. Does anyone know? It seems doubtful because that would have been untreated and unchlorinated water without any microbiology testing for E-Coli etc. Nelson's pool later became a fishing hole, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area