Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Attachment 93892
This postcard always gets good response.
I was definitely cruisin' Central during this era. Seems like yesterday. Fast-food ie Jack had walk up windows outside and if you stayed you ate outside too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 10:37 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Back when Jack in the Box had 2 benches and tables inside the "restaurant" and sold the infamous Jack Taco.

It looks like the postcard's a bit faded... I remember the UB building as being a bit more turquioise.

lol Jack taco's are still around but I think they're called Monster Tacos now...I still love them...have no idea why either. We don't have Jack-in-the-Box in UT so whenever I head up to Idaho Falls I just must stop for a taco. YUM!

Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
Quote:
infamous Jack Taco.
haven't had a Jack Taco in many years....is it, or the Monster Taco, still an utterly greasy, flattish thing that needed tons of sauce???

Old 04-14-2012, 11:31 PM

285 posts, read 904,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
haven't had a Jack Taco in many years....is it, or the Monster Taco, still an utterly greasy, flattish thing that needed tons of sauce???
Yeppers!!
No more Jack (Monster) Tacos. Now two regular tacos for 99 cents.

And they're sooo goood!!! Two tacos and a medium chocolate shake...I'm good to go.
Many years ago, when moving back here to the Valley from Florida, I had a craving for some JitB tacos. Couldn't get one until San Antonio. I made a special trip of leaving the interstate to get a couple when I saw a Jack restaurant. They taste the same after all these years and before. Now if I can't get a JitB taco, I'll accept a Del Taco taco, but that's another thread.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:14 AM

27 posts, read 85,121 times
Default Space Odyssey/Kachina

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Was the Kachina in Scottsdale? If not what was that one...I remember seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey there with a group of friends.
You have it right ~ it was where you saw all that today is considered the classic films from the 1950/1960's. When it closed it was the end of an era in film~~ Today 3D films seem to be the 'reserved' seating ~~

Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 AM

24,298 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John B Sloop View Post
You have it right ~ it was where you saw all that today is considered the classic films from the 1950/1960's. When it closed it was the end of an era in film~~ Today 3D films seem to be the 'reserved' seating ~~
It seems like "2001", "Ice Station Zebra" and "Midnight Cowboy" played forever at the Kachina, with long lines stretching to the south waiting to get in. Nothing like today's three weeks in theaters, and to video a week later.

There was an Italian restaurant across Scottsdale Road, don't readily remember the name, I think it was Giovanni's. Used to go there as a kid for a special treat.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:28 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times
Who can find Taco Bell?

Attachment 93918

Old 04-15-2012, 12:54 PM

283 posts, read 880,767 times
Quote:
It seems like "2001", "Ice Station Zebra" and "Midnight Cowboy" played forever at the Kachina, with long lines stretching to the south waiting to get in. Nothing like today's three weeks in theaters, and to video a week later.

There was an Italian restaurant across Scottsdale Road, don't readily remember the name, I think it was Giovanni's. Used to go there as a kid for a special treat.
Wasn't there a Greek restaurant across the street from the Kachina theater or am I thinking of further down the street?

Old 04-15-2012, 01:08 PM

93 posts, read 253,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Yeppers!!
No more Jack (Monster) Tacos. Now two regular tacos for 99 cents.

And they're sooo goood!!! Two tacos and a medium chocolate shake...I'm good to go.
Many years ago, when moving back here to the Valley from Florida, I had a craving for some JitB tacos. Couldn't get one until San Antonio. I made a special trip of leaving the interstate to get a couple when I saw a Jack restaurant. They taste the same after all these years and before. Now if I can't get a JitB taco, I'll accept a Del Taco taco, but that's another thread.
Those Jack's tacos were good! I know they were not so healthy though but we were young. After work, on the weekends, a friend and I used to go riding in his 1956 Ford. He had run it low on oil so the motor knocked and smoked, really smoked. One Jack's told us to never come back because it smoked so bad at the drive-through, we were almost invisible and stinky. I bet that burning oil chased other customers off.

Same car, cruising Central, The cop starts following, the cop car lights and siren comes on for a few seconds but "ole" Bob (smarty) just wouldn't stop. Finally the cop got along side and Bob finally pulled over. The Cop aked "why didn't you pull over"? Bob responded with a serious "I couldn't see or hear you for all the smoke, Sir". The Cop thought it was so funny Bob got only a ticket for excess smoke or something like that. Nice Cop to let us go!

Old 04-15-2012, 03:24 PM

283 posts, read 880,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wendell View Post
Those Jack's tacos were good! I know they were not so healthy though but we were young. After work, on the weekends, a friend and I used to go riding in his 1956 Ford. He had run it low on oil so the motor knocked and smoked, really smoked. One Jack's told us to never come back because it smoked so bad at the drive-through, we were almost invisible and stinky. I bet that burning oil chased other customers off.

Same car, cruising Central, The cop starts following, the cop car lights and siren comes on for a few seconds but "ole" Bob (smarty) just wouldn't stop. Finally the cop got along side and Bob finally pulled over. The Cop aked "why didn't you pull over"? Bob responded with a serious "I couldn't see or hear you for all the smoke, Sir". The Cop thought it was so funny Bob got only a ticket for excess smoke or something like that. Nice Cop to let us go!
We had a 50 Ford panel truck with a flathead 6 who's rings were only a distant memory. Remember the refined used motor oil that was sold in glass quart jars with metal spouts? Yep, that's what we ran in it and we ran ALOT of it in it. It looked like we were fogging for mosquitoes going down the road. At least we weren't bothered by tailgaters. We got brave and drove it to San Diego one weekend and used 19 quarts for the round trip. Never got a ticket, even in California. My dad finally said, "fix it, sell it or I'll scrap it!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area