Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 07:38 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
Mr. Roosevelt, congratulations on your 2,000 and your 2,000,000, and many more posts and readings to come.

You have brought facts and pleasures into the minds of many, and there would be no part of this forum's history thread without you.

I hope you live and post so long that they finally have to take you out in a field like the proverbial much loved, ancient horse and shoot you.

I have been in touch with Kiddieland, Liggett's, and A-1, and we will host a party of beer with raw turkey eggs, along with rides on the train, the merry-go-round, and the roller coaster over to Encanto. So, let us geezers take our dramamine, Protonix, beta-blockers, and nsaids, bring our spray nitroglycerine for ourselves and bread for the ducks, and put on the old feedbag, sit and drink, and talk of sad things--the days that were so great that we did not know their greatness, when we lived them.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 PM

156 posts, read 417,129 times
Anyone know what those triangler silos were on NE cornor of 51st ave & buckeye?

Thanks

Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 PM

285 posts, read 898,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBradley View Post
Anyone know what those triangler silos were on NE cornor of 51st ave & buckeye?

Thanks
Industrial warehouses, built in 1949. I located a website that quotes rental rates at $3-5.18/sf/year or $6,250 - $9,500/mo. The structures range from 22,000 sf - 29,000 sf.
There is/was signage that identified it connected to Western Organics, purveyors of "GRO-WELL" brand of home and garden products.

1025 S 51st Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85043 - Warehouse Property for Lease on LoopNet.com

Old 06-13-2012, 08:20 AM

220 posts, read 651,040 times
Count me in on that wonderful party. .... and no truer words were ever spoken, Mr. Swilling, when you said "the days that were so great that we did not know their greatness, when we lived them".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
Mr. Roosevelt, congratulations on your 2,000 and your 2,000,000, and many more posts and readings to come.

You have brought facts and pleasures into the minds of many, and there would be no part of this forum's history thread without you.

I hope you live and post so long that they finally have to take you out in a field like the proverbial much loved, ancient horse and shoot you.

I have been in touch with Kiddieland, Liggett's, and A-1, and we will host a party of beer with raw turkey eggs, along with rides on the train, the merry-go-round, and the roller coaster over to Encanto. So, let us geezers take our dramamine, Protonix, beta-blockers, and nsaids, bring our spray nitroglycerine for ourselves and bread for the ducks, and put on the old feedbag, sit and drink, and talk of sad things--the days that were so great that we did not know their greatness, when we lived them.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:20 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,581,260 times
This is a dirt track sprint racer. I don't know where this photo was taken, maybe Manzanita. In my day the Manzy cars were small stock cars all hopped up. I also noted, even as a kid, that the best driver with the fastest car never won. Just looked at the background and it looks like a larger raceway than Manzy. I see a girl's racer in the background too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobby Marshall at Phoenix 1978.jpg
Views:	2344
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	97037

Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 AM

218 posts, read 566,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
This is a dirt track sprint racer. I don't know where this photo was taken, maybe Manzanita. In my day the Manzy cars were small stock cars all hopped up. I also noted, even as a kid, that the best driver with the fastest car never won. Just looked at the background and it looks like a larger raceway than Manzy. I see a girl's racer in the background too.

Attachment 97037
Great Picture! Old car races may have been more fun before the addition of wings and such super powerful engines. Most engines at Manzy were Chevrolet but a friend ran Fords. Remember the Figure 8 Track? Wendy McDonald was the Manzy announcer, I believe.

Wasn't it the Arizona State Fair that had an annual Destruction Derby? The old Hudsons seemed to last best although I have never see a Destruction Derby.

Jimmy Bryan raced at the fairgrounds. I was a little kid peeking through the fence. I could see a flash of a green race car go by and was told by the adults that was Jimmy!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,149,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post

Attachment 97037
Bobby Marshall, the name on the car, was a top Sprint car driver in his day, mostly in the '70's. He traveled all the western states racing. I think he was from Dallas.

I see the sponsor Bill Kings Brake-o , Remember when it was Joe Garrets Brake-0?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 PM

Would anyone happen to have a picture of the Lasma arabian farm? Was located on Bell, east of Tatum?
I just stumbled across this great site not too long ago. Completly blown away by all the past memories!
NETR Online • Historic Aerials is a really neat site. I'm on there for hours.

Turns out the house I grew up in on McCormick Ranch, was smack dead center inside "Paradise Park".
I knew MR was an old horse ranch, but not about the Arabian horse shows held there before WestWorld and all before it.
Old house was off Arabian Trail, 9818 N. 86th St.

Also, where Scottsdale Pavillions(whatever they're called 2day) are, there seems to have been a race track on the SE corner of Pima & Indian Bend. Found the track using that historic aerial site, 70 - 78 I think. Anyone have any info on that track?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBradley View Post
Would anyone happen to have a picture of the Lasma arabian farm? Was located on Bell, east of Tatum?
I just stumbled across this great site not too long ago. Completly blown away by all the past memories!
NETR Online • Historic Aerials is a really neat site. I'm on there for hours.

Turns out the house I grew up in on McCormick Ranch, was smack dead center inside "Paradise Park".
I knew MR was an old horse ranch, but not about the Arabian horse shows held there before WestWorld and all before it.
Old house was off Arabian Trail, 9818 N. 86th St.

Also, where Scottsdale Pavillions(whatever they're called 2day) are, there seems to have been a race track on the SE corner of Pima & Indian Bend. Found the track using that historic aerial site, 70 - 78 I think. Anyone have any info on that track?

Thanks
Lasma was at Bell and 54th St. The land Lasma was on is covered with houses, but the land occupied by smaller neighboring Arabian farms on the west side of 54th is still vacant. There should be pics of Lasma Arabians out there on the 'net, as well as some of the other farms that were in the area. [EDIT: I did some prowling around, not as easy to find online as I thought. I probably have some magazines with pics.] I was only on that property once, while it was a large facility, it wasn't as fancy as some of the others built later. Lots of green pastures and beautiful horses, though.

Went to the Arabian show at Paradise Park MANY times.

As far as the race track, I think there was a small oval at the "Horse Country Club" which was right around that spot. It would not have been used for racing, but for training. There was a large boarding stable there, as well as rental horses. EDIT: looking at the pictures, I'm not sure that's the same place, but I don't see it anywhere else in the pics either.

Last edited by observer53; 06-15-2012 at 05:07 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 05:43 PM

Arabian horses were very popular back in the day it seems.
I remember Chauncey Ranch as a western checkpoint when flying into Scottsdale airport. Chauncey was involved with TV/radio, correct. I think there were large attennas on his ranch.

As for Lasma farms, did they have a large elaborate entrance on Bell? I moved to the valley after those Arabian farms closed down, so all I remember was that entrance on Bell road all by itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area