Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 PM

218 posts, read 570,244 times

Advertisements

Great Cox Ads. I enjoyed reading them. I remember cast iron drains. I bet that stuff was hard to work with compared to the plastics we have today.

I especially enjoyed the history of Mr. Cox. It seems the kind of experiences that a book could have been written about. Our Veterans from that era are disapearing and it is always a pleasure to read about anyone of them. They gave us a great country to live in. I appreciate every single one of them who have served at any time.

It is so amazing to see how the value of the dollar has changed. I remember the cups of soda pop we served at the drive in theaters were 10 - 20 and 30 cents. A cheese pizza was 50 cents. Hot dogs were 25 cents. On the other and I was making less than a dollar per hour when working in the snackbar. 50 years has really made a difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 11:35 PM

20 posts, read 53,789 times
The Cox ad I scanned at a high DPI(I know it's news print, I didn't have to).
Here is the date clear as a bell.

I reduced the images for reasons of posting and Imageshack limitations.
I'm sure the mods do not want me posting 10+ meg images here.

Like I said, here is some more.

I will list dates if I have them. If I don't it's anybodies guess.
But if it has his helicopter in the image, it can only be between, November 1960(when he was certified to fly it) thru April 9, 1961(when he crashed).

Here is an extra, look Walter it mentions the "Big Four".

Old 09-07-2012, 11:53 PM

20 posts, read 53,789 times
Here some more with Santa.

Here is more on Forest getting his helicopter. Only this time it's the Gazette.

This is it for now, there is more.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:08 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,172 times
I remember back in the early 70's when I could get REALLY close and almost touch the alligators at the Phoenix Zoo. Does anyone else remember when the alligator exhibit was in that area that had the little bridge? Also, the alligators would sun themselves in the dirt besides a very small fence that could be easily climbed! I know this because I used to climb over it when I was a kid!!

Old 09-08-2012, 02:13 PM

214 posts, read 646,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
I remember back in the early 70's when I could get REALLY close and almost touch the alligators at the Phoenix Zoo. Does anyone else remember when the alligator exhibit was in that area that had the little bridge? Also, the alligators would sun themselves in the dirt besides a very small fence that could be easily climbed! I know this because I used to climb over it when I was a kid!!
Seems like when I was very small, the entrance to the zoo had a bridge that had no side rails, and there were alligators in the water.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:02 PM

156 posts, read 420,405 times
What happened to the alligator exhibit, its gone?

Old 09-09-2012, 01:23 PM

I wonder if anyone has pictures of the Columbus-Adeline Gray Mansion? It was located at 7th Street and Mohave. I used to cut through the old mansion's property on my way to Adeline Gray School (about 1951 - 1958). As a little kid it appeared big and very foreboding. It looked as if all the paint was gone and in great disrepair. Seems like a huge fence surrounded the mansion. We did not go near it at night. A group of us got older and I supose braver because we stopped there on a Halloween. I think the treats were really great, the lady was nice and we gave up our ideas of it being a scary haunted house. We should have known better since the family had donated the land to Phoenix Elementry 1 for our school. I still have an old Roman coin I found in the dirt while cutting through their property.

The family has a huge history in very early Phoenix. The mansion was a big social center. I can imagine the parties and dancing in that old mansion. Adeline Gray jumped out of airplanes and was the first lady to use a nylon parachute (I believe she was testing it, perhaps for the war effort). It is all gone now and it is truly a shame. What a house it would have been if it could have been saved and restored.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:39 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
Great Cox Ads. I enjoyed reading them. I remember cast iron drains. I bet that stuff was hard to work with compared to the plastics we have today.

I especially enjoyed the history of Mr. Cox. It seems the kind of experiences that a book could have been written about. Our Veterans from that era are disapearing and it is always a pleasure to read about anyone of them. They gave us a great country to live in. I appreciate every single one of them who have served at any time.

It is so amazing to see how the value of the dollar has changed. I remember the cups of soda pop we served at the drive in theaters were 10 - 20 and 30 cents. A cheese pizza was 50 cents. Hot dogs were 25 cents. On the other and I was making less than a dollar per hour when working in the snackbar. 50 years has really made a difference!
Speaking of drive-in theater food...do you remember Zippy Tamales? A tamale, of sorts, that came in a plastic tube? You opened it up and ate it with a spoon...a true mystery food but I had to have one whenever I went to the drive-in.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Speaking of drive-in theater food...do you remember Zippy Tamales? A tamale, of sorts, that came in a plastic tube? You opened it up and ate it with a spoon...a true mystery food but I had to have one whenever I went to the drive-in.
I don't remember Zippy Tamales. The two theaters I worked at were owned by the same man. We had tamales; I think they were 20 cents. It seems like the name was La Tolteca but I may be wrong on that. We also had bowls of chilie. The chili came in 1 gallon cans and it was good to make a pizza with chili and cheese instead of red sauce and cheese.

We also had some sort of frozen Italian Ice called Squeezys. It came in a soft paper cup thingy and had various delicious flavors. I guess the name came from the way you would squeeze them to bring up the frozen ice as you licked the ice.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:08 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
I don't remember Zippy Tamales. The two theaters I worked at were owned by the same man. We had tamales; I think they were 20 cents. It seems like the name was La Tolteca but I may be wrong on that. We also had bowls of chilie. The chili came in 1 gallon cans and it was good to make a pizza with chili and cheese instead of red sauce and cheese.

We also had some sort of frozen Italian Ice called Squeezys. It came in a soft paper cup thingy and had various delicious flavors. I guess the name came from the way you would squeeze them to bring up the frozen ice as you licked the ice.
Yep, Squeezeys on a hot summer night at the movies...lemon was a favorite I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area