Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 06:00 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCFB View Post
Thanks for the stroll down memory lane! I recall every one of these names! I spent countless hours wandering thru the stores and the Cowboy-Indian Store was one of my favorites! Here's a photo of my parents and staff at Otto's Hofbrau! How about that mug of cold Michelob for 50 cents?
Thanks for posting that photo! I remember that well. The Mediterranean place is well remembered for the shishkebab on rice and the cherry phosphate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 AM

76 posts, read 143,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
I was there man! Canned Heat opened up the show. Alice did the head chop gag -had the boa constrictor and everything.
Remember the pouring rainstorm that started 2 minutes after Alice left the stage? And the car on fire in the desert parking lot, during the deluge? Read in the paper the next morning that some a-holes came in the middle of the night and broke into some trucks and stole all of Canned Heats gear. What a great show and memory.
Yeh, I remember Alice's guillotine and Captain Beyond being the surprise of the show. I also remember Canned Heat singing "There's a Riot Going On" while pointing to the back of the crowd where there WAS a small riot going on with people storming the fence. Good times!! lol....now, was this the only concert played at Manzanita? I don't remember any others.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:09 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1956 View Post
Yeh, I remember Alice's guillotine and Captain Beyond being the surprise of the show. I also remember Canned Heat singing "There's a Riot Going On" while pointing to the back of the crowd where there WAS a small riot going on with people storming the fence. Good times!! lol....now, was this the only concert played at Manzanita? I don't remember any others.
I had forgotten all about Captain Beyond. Well I probably went to 40-50 concerts between 1968 and 1975 and this is the only one I remember at Manzy, so yes it was probably a one-off as far as rock concerts went.
Maybe the "riot" put the kabash on it?

Here a pic of Delany & Bonnie at Vet Mem Col. in 69.
You may remember Bonnie playing "Bonnie" on Rosanne.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-35-09_cl.jpg  

Old 10-01-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
I had forgotten all about Captain Beyond. Well I probably went to 40-50 concerts between 1968 and 1975 and this is the only one I remember at Manzy, so yes it was probably a one-off as far as rock concerts went.
Maybe the "riot" put the kabash on it?

Here a pic of Delany & Bonnie at Vet Mem Col. in 69.
You may remember Bonnie playing "Bonnie" on Rosanne.
I've started a spreadsheet of concerts and venues in AZ going back to the early sixties and to 1980. I'm trying to research even the backup bands since many went on to headline status. If you have any known concerts with dates info, I can provide you this in email if you'd like. I've got a great deal documented but know there's many more I do not have. Anything you have would be appreciated. One thing I'm trying to verify are the dates the Star Theater changed to Travelodge Theater in the Round and then to Celebrity Theater. Do you happen to know? I'm pretty sure of the estimate in time but nothing more accurate.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM

and no, I did not know this was Bonnie Bramlett on Roseanne! very cool.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:51 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Odd postcard from Sunnyslope, 5th Ave and Hatcher

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-barnett.jpg

Old 10-02-2012, 03:53 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
I think this is how we got milk in grammar school, a small carton that had wax all over it.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-milk.jpg

Old 10-02-2012, 06:46 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,980,411 times
On the first page of this thread there is a post about Legend City. I'm not sure if this has been posted before on one of the 651 pages. My apologies if it has but I did come across this website as a tribute to Legend City.

Legend City - Home

It was created by a great blog called The Joan de Arc Crusader.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM

53 posts, read 152,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Thanks for posting that photo! I remember that well. The Mediterranean place is well remembered for the shishkebab on rice and the cherry phosphate.
I ate lunch at T & C almost everyday for four years in high school.

Bean Burro, mmmmmmmmmmm. By the time I was a senior we would occasionally get a pitcher of dark beer with lunch. It looked like root beer and after all, there was only one more class after lunch, and it was drama.

dgsaz

Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1956 View Post
I've started a spreadsheet of concerts and venues in AZ going back to the early sixties and to 1980. I'm trying to research even the backup bands since many went on to headline status. If you have any known concerts with dates info, I can provide you this in email if you'd like. I've got a great deal documented but know there's many more I do not have. Anything you have would be appreciated. One thing I'm trying to verify are the dates the Star Theater changed to Travelodge Theater in the Round and then to Celebrity Theater. Do you happen to know? I'm pretty sure of the estimate in time but nothing more accurate.
I remember going to see the Doors in late '67 or very early '68 at the Colosseum...there were two opening acts...I'm thinking Country Joe and the Fish and Sopwith Camel. Lol could be wrong on one of the openers...may have it mixed up with a SF concert. I believe I saw them another time there too but darned if I can remember when. Re Star Theater (I still think of it that way) I went to concerts there from '73-75 I think...Jerry Riopelle several times...Dr. John on New Years Eve of '75 I think. I know there were some others but again...memories fuzzy...too much participation in the late '60's early '70's.

ETA: I believe the Circle Star or Star Theater (I remember it being built in about '64) was known as the Celebrity by '75 and if that's incorrect I remember coming back to AZ in '79 and went to a concert there and it was the Celebrity by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area