Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 09:06 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
Here is a Pic of the Mustang Motorcycles Poster.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...f/MVC-541S.jpg

Those Mustangs looked like they were bad a## bikes in there day.

I remember as a kid going to Sears and drooling over thr Allstate mopeds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 01:09 PM

218 posts, read 570,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
Those Mustangs looked like they were bad a## bikes in there day.

I remember as a kid going to Sears and drooling over thr Allstate mopeds!
If you went to the Sears in downtown Phoenix I was hanging around there too dreaming of a new bike instead of the junkers I had. It seems like the bikes were in the basement. The Sears parts department was on East Henshaw (now Buckeye Road). I was a good customer; my Allstates always needed parts.

I had an Allstate (Puch) moped and several of the bigger 175cc bikes. Puch was made in Austria; the twin cylinder machines had a single combustion chamber that both pistons shared so only one sparkplug. I hated mixing oil and gas.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:32 AM

107 posts, read 422,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papergypsy View Post
Behind Town and Country was a small 9 hole golf course called Milky Way Golf Course. I remember huge nets that kept balls from flying onto 20th Street and into the elementary school at 20th and Campbell. Across the street from the school was Dick Smith Swim Gym, and it is where I learned to swim in 1956. Dick Smith went on to become the coach of the US Olympic women's diving team in 1964 and the coach of the men's team in 1968.
Dick Smith's was quite a popular place. I learned to swim there too, and my friend and his dad took judo lessons. Mothers could sit in a glass-walled area near the front and watch their kids in the pool.
I think one of the divers Smith was coaching at the time was Bernie Wrightson, who won an Olympic medal.

Do you remember Bool's cactus nursery on the south side of Camelback about 28th St?

Last edited by observer53; 10-22-2012 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: fixed brokn quote tag

Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 PM

20 posts, read 53,782 times
Anybody remember Pugzie's?

Sadly they are shutting down on the 31st(10/31/2012).
After 31 years of being in business.
The reason is the owners are retiring, the building is going to be replaced with apartments.

I'll sure miss them, they were one of the best sandwich shops in Phoenix.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:20 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Max View Post
Anybody remember Pugzie's?

Sadly they are shutting down on the 31st(10/31/2012).
After 31 years of being in business.
The reason is the owners are retiring, the building is going to be replaced with apartments.

I'll sure miss them, they were one of the best sandwich shops in Phoenix.
Major bummer! I used to eat there a lot when I worked just a block or so away. I've been there a few times in the last several years, as I'm not in that neighborhood any more. I'll try to stop in for one last lunch!

Last edited by observer53; 10-23-2012 at 09:56 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 AM

24,284 posts, read 13,139,168 times
In 1982 Pugzie's was considered eclectic... I stopped in a couple times when I worked at 32nd and Thomas as a delivery driver, on the recommendation of my boss. Some of our deliveries were to 16th and Glendale and I'd time them to be around lunch time.

Add that to other old memories going away, like Graham's Fruit Stand and their date shakes.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 PM

76 posts, read 143,368 times
I worked for a beverage distributor briefly in Tempe and then started my own small beverage company, Monarch Beverage Group, in Gilbert for a couple of years until 2005 and Pugzie's was a customer. I seem to remember they did a lot of business lunch deliveries. Nice people, good food, and sorry to see them close. I downloaded a menu for the memory. I just wish I'd have kept a few for some of my more favorite closed restaurants I frequented such as Reuben's Plankhouse in Tempe, Bravino's in Chandler, and Dog 'N Suds on Stapley Dr. in Mesa.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 10,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
Dick Smith's was quite a popular place. I learned to swim there too, and my friend and his dad took judo lessons. Mothers could sit in a glass-walled area near the front and watch their kids in the pool.
I think one of the divers Smith was coaching at the time was Bernie Wrightson, who won an Olympic medal.

Do you remember Bool's cactus nursery on the south side of Camelback about 28th St?
Yes, definitely remember the cactus nursery. I also remember there was a night club on the SE corner of Camelback and 24th - I think it was called KoKo's (?) I remember my folks went there one night in the late 50's to see Lily St. Cyr do her striptease act in her acrylic bathtub. There were also date and citrus stands lining the south side of Camelback from about 26th to 32nd. They would be open during the "colder months" when the snowbirds came to town. They could buy gift packs of fruits to send to their friends and relatives back home. Every year we would go to one stand that was owned by friends of my grandparents and buy those round plastic tubes you could stick into an orange and use to drink out all the juice.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:15 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papergypsy View Post
Yes, definitely remember the cactus nursery. I also remember there was a night club on the SE corner of Camelback and 24th - I think it was called KoKo's (?) I remember my folks went there one night in the late 50's to see Lily St. Cyr do her striptease act in her acrylic bathtub. There were also date and citrus stands lining the south side of Camelback from about 26th to 32nd. They would be open during the "colder months" when the snowbirds came to town. They could buy gift packs of fruits to send to their friends and relatives back home. Every year we would go to one stand that was owned by friends of my grandparents and buy those round plastic tubes you could stick into an orange and use to drink out all the juice.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-koko.jpg Courtesy of acmeron, whose website is long gone.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:25 PM

283 posts, read 880,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1956 View Post
I worked for a beverage distributor briefly in Tempe and then started my own small beverage company, Monarch Beverage Group, in Gilbert for a couple of years until 2005 and Pugzie's was a customer. I seem to remember they did a lot of business lunch deliveries. Nice people, good food, and sorry to see them close. I downloaded a menu for the memory. I just wish I'd have kept a few for some of my more favorite closed restaurants I frequented such as Reuben's Plankhouse in Tempe, Bravino's in Chandler, and Dog 'N Suds on Stapley Dr. in Mesa.
Bravino's!!!................used to be my favorite hangout when I lived in Chandler in the early - mid 70's. They had the best sausage pizza I've ever had and haven't found anyone else that even comes close! I remember they got one of the first Pong consoles when they first came out. A friend of ours, who'd recently broken his leg, streaked Bravino's on a saturday night while on crutches. He even made into the back dining room. That really lit the crowd up, as if we needed an excuse anyway?

I used to frequent Dog N' Suds frequently also. They were behind the Circle K on the SW corner of Stapley and Broadway, facing onto Stapley Dr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area