Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 09:51 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
I know it was much later, but there was a Safeway on the corner of 20th st. and Thomas. That was before the "Squaw Peak Parkway" was built. After the parkway was put in it became a Food Land or El Rancho or something like that. Also had a Osco drugs next to it.
The market is still there. It was a Bashas', with the Osco next door, for a long time. Now, it's a Food City, the space next to it may be vacant, I know it was for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:11 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,128 times
It may have one time been a Bashas' . Thats where I did my shopping in the late 70's early 80's and it was definitely a Safeway then. I liked the Oscos also, was sorry to see them both go.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:21 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
It may have one time been a Bashas' . Thats where I did my shopping in the late 70's early 80's and it was definitely a Safeway then. I liked the Oscos also, was sorry to see them both go.
It was a Safeway in 1969 and Skaggs next door. West was a Gold Bond center, Sugar Plum Shop and Baskin Robbins. Across the street was a order and sit down BBQ Pit restaurant maybe called Jim's. I used to go there and get a half pound ground round steak, baked potato and salad for 99 cents which was incredibly cheap even then.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
Quote:
I know it was much later, but there was a Safeway on the corner of 20th st. and Thomas. That was before the "Squaw Peak Parkway" was built. After the parkway was put in it became a Food Land or El Rancho or something like that. Also had a Osco drugs next to it.
I got my first real job at that Safeway at the age of 16, when I got my first car. There was a Baskin and Robbins at the end of that strip, on the 20th street side. I worked there till I started college.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:07 PM

537 posts, read 1,544,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbound10 View Post
I have a friend who wants to know if there is anyone out in the Phoenix area that remembers the days of American Bandstand and remembers Mike Green? He doesn't have a computer, but wants to look up old friends. Can anyone help me out. He is currently living in Bremerton, WA.
Channel 3 had a Saturday program called Peanut Bandstand. I was on it once. Channel 3 was on the corner of 16th. St. and Osborn behind an IGA grocery store. The Safeway store at 20th. St. and Thomas was next to a Skagg's Drug Store.

There were many small and medium grocery stores. Tang's Market was at 24th. and Indian School. Village Market was at 32nd. and Osborn (Owned by the Ong family). Kroulik's market was a tiny store on the corner of 28th. St. and Thomas. Neb's Market (Wagon Wheel) was at 56th. St. and Thomas. The Toy family had a grocery store on the corner of 16th. St. and Camelback. They delivered a lot of groceries to people who lived in Biltmore Estates. Mr. Toy bought land everywhere and ran Toy's Shangrila restaurant. His kids (Nine of them) convinced him that land that he had bought in Paradise Valley would never be worth anything, so he sold it. His kids are in their seventies now and take turns managing Toy Enterprises.

Last edited by Desertspiritsteve; 12-29-2013 at 01:16 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 03:52 AM

218 posts, read 569,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
Channel 3 had a Saturday program called Peanut Bandstand. I was on it once. Channel 3 was on the corner of 16th. St. and Osborn behind an IGA grocery store. The Safeway store at 20th. St. and Thomas was next to a Skagg's Drug Store.

There were many small and medium grocery stores. Tang's Market was at 24th. and Indian School. Village Market was at 32nd. and Osborn (Owned by the Ong family). Kroulik's market was a tiny store on the corner of 28th. St. and Thomas. Neb's Market (Wagon Wheel) was at 56th. St. and Thomas. The Toy family had a grocery store on the corner of 16th. St. and Camelback. They delivered a lot of groceries to people who lived in Biltmore Estates. Mr. Toy bought land everywhere and ran Toy's Shangrila restaurant. His kids (Nine of them) convinced him that land that he had bought in Paradise Valley would never be worth anything, so he sold it. His kids are in their seventies now and take turns managing Toy Enterprises.
Wasn't there an Arizona Bandstand also? It seems like Channel 3 had that also. My sister went there but maybe it was called something else.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
It was a Safeway in 1969 and Skaggs next door. West was a Gold Bond center, Sugar Plum Shop and Baskin Robbins. Across the street was a order and sit down BBQ Pit restaurant maybe called Jim's. I used to go there and get a half pound ground round steak, baked potato and salad for 99 cents which was incredibly cheap even then.
Yes, I remember back when it was a Safeway. I spent more time in that area in the "Bashas' era" as I worked in the neighborhood.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:18 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post

My grandmother lived on a couple of acres south of Edgemont Circle off 28th street south of Thomas. As a tiny kid I used to stay with her sometimes. I remember walking to Kroulik's with her and her wheeled basket. Later, in high school, I remember sometimes stopping at Tang's on the way home. In those days I found all the asian persons there sort of "exotic". Or something.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:28 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,128 times
Speaking of Bashas'..... there was one on 20th st. and McDowell. It also had a drug store next to it one one side and a 5 and 10 on the west side of it.I think it might have been McCorys or something like that.
Directly across the street was that old motorcycle junk yard/ shop. I bought a set of forks there for a '66 Ducati that I was fixing up after I wrecked it. That was probably mid '70s.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:49 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
With tomorrow being New Years Eve, does Jerry Riopelle still put on New Years Eve concerts in the Phoenix area? They were a must-do back in the 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area