Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 02:00 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,619,764 times

Advertisements

I don't remember this place, maybe someone else does.
Click image for larger version

Name:	palomar drive inn.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	124073
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 05:38 PM
BEJ

26 posts, read 60,892 times
I don't remember it either. There was a pool hall around 13th & Van Buren where some of us played. How about Dick's Drive-In (15th & McDowell), Whittier (49-56), Coronado Park, PUHS, Fox Theatre Saturday Serials, Rialto Theatre, cruising Central Ave, Boy's Club (15th PL & Moreland).

Old 01-17-2014, 11:09 AM

My aunt lived at Palm Lane and 14th Street so I'm very familiar with Whittier and the Coronado pool. There was a Foster's Freeze at 12th Street and McDowell I would to to a lot, and the Chili Pepper across the street. Dick's Drive In was a 50's style place, later changed names but still the same. The pool hall was Mack Langston's Pool Hall and they had Keno, card games, dominos and checkers. Pretty tame stuff.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:58 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,055,731 times
this thread will hit 1 million views in a few days.....thanks to all the contributors

Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 PM
BEJ

Use to swim at Coronado Park during the summer. I remember a Jack-In-The-Box at the corner of 13th and McDowell. I don't recall the name of the pool hall, but there was a old (prob 70s), gray haired, short, guy named "Mike" who owned and ran the place. He charged by time and I remember having "arguements" with him because he would always round up the time to the nearest five minute interval. Usually, the extra cost was a nickel or a dime. He once told me he made his living on nickels. At the time I played there it was pool and poker.
I had a blind date once while in high school. It was a "double" date and we ended up at Dicks. The girl and I didn't get along and she ordered several dollars worth of food. When I complained about how much it was going to cost (I didn't have much money) she said "Well, I know I won't see you again so, I might as well take you for everything I can".
It's amazing what you remember so many years ago !!!

Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
Use to swim at Coronado Park during the summer. I remember a Jack-In-The-Box at the corner of 13th and McDowell. I don't recall the name of the pool hall, but there was a old (prob 70s), gray haired, short, guy named "Mike" who owned and ran the place. He charged by time and I remember having "arguements" with him because he would always round up the time to the nearest five minute interval. Usually, the extra cost was a nickel or a dime. He once told me he made his living on nickels. At the time I played there it was pool and poker.
I had a blind date once while in high school. It was a "double" date and we ended up at Dicks. The girl and I didn't get along and she ordered several dollars worth of food. When I complained about how much it was going to cost (I didn't have much money) she said "Well, I know I won't see you again so, I might as well take you for everything I can".
It's amazing what you remember so many years ago !!!
Here's to bad dates..............I had date I made a month in advance to a teen that became a pinup model. When I showed up on the big night, she had the flu.
Click image for larger version

Name:	dicks_small.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	124149

Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 AM

24,276 posts, read 13,130,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
this thread will hit 1 million views in a few days.....thanks to all the contributors
Awesome. And one of the few CD threads that doesn't degenerate into off-topic political or religious rants, trolling, or juvenile name-calling. Instead, reminiscences from a time gone by in a locale that was a really great place to grow up. (Just wish I had more pictures of the Phoenix area in the 50s [when my parents moved there], 60s and 70s.)

Last edited by SluggoF16; 01-18-2014 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Shortened it up.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:22 PM
BEJ

I wonder if the phrase "If I only knew then what I know now" would apply to "bad" dates in the teen years ?
I was a "bagger" at the A.J. Bayless store on the southwest corner of 16th St and McDowell. Made a big time $.75 an hour working part-time after school. Next to Bayless, there was a beauty/barber shop, a dry cleaners, and Olsen's Pharmacy. Now, there is a parking lot and nothing else (if I remember correctly).
Also, worked at "Bob's Big Boy" at the corner of Central Ave and Thomas Rd. I'm sure it's long gone, too. At first, I did the drinks on the drive-in side then, a BIG promotion (it was a $.10 an hour raise) to the inside making salads or something along that line. I stayed because you could have anything you wanted for a meal (if you were working 8 hours) and they had great shrimp and cocktail sauce. I remember always getting a HUGE bowl of shrimp and that great sauce. But, I missed all the Hot Rods cruising through the drive-in section looking for a parking place, which was almost impossible to find on the weekends, and drinking all the "mistake shakes" I made during the night.
I have kept the promise I made to myself so many years ago ----- "I'll NEVER work fast food again".
My hat is off in deference to all fast food workers.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,325 times
I'll fess up: Phoenix places I associate with bad dates: El Camino Theater & Sombrero Theater

Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,135 times
I'd have to start a new thread to list all the places in the valley where I remember having bad dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area