Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 05:29 PM

48 posts, read 246,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Greetings all, I'm a born and raised Phoenician.
Just found this chat site.

From what I have read has brought back memories.
Shea Blvd being a two-lane strip from just west of 32nd street to just past the then entrance to Taliesin West. It continued as a dirt trail towards the now Fountain Hills area.
The entrance to Taliesin was a dirt road that came very close to deep washes.

I remember seeing a snowcap on the McDowell Mountains.
Without houses!

Treat me well. I'm new.

Off to make a sandwich.
72 pages of posts will take a while to read...
Hello newbie, May I ask what highschool you went to. I was born in the old St Joes in 46. Am a native and I so loveAZ. I don't like what has happened to our town (Phoenix) but you can't stop progress and growth. Hey everybody, my sister just gave me this very kool book on AZ, Huge thick thing published in 1962 . . . "Fiftieth Anniversary" So many ads, names of so many familiar places and people. Great book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I came across some photos I took of a 1959 Rodeo Parade, most of no interest except for these photos below. Wallace and Ladmo holding 'Hi Mom' sign, Ray Odom, a famous radio and TV country star, Coulter's used car lot.
Attachment 47503

Attachment 47504

Attachment 47505
Such great photos, thanks. Do you remember the Mountain Men riding in the parades?

Old 08-23-2009, 05:57 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfrybaby View Post
Such great photos, thanks. Do you remember the Mountain Men riding in the parades?
Here it is, Bill Williams Mountain Men in the same parade 1959. Let me say something about film, I have shot all kinds of color slide and negative film and only Kodachrome still looks like the day it was developed. If I had only known back then that all the other film would fade badly and turn yellow, or red, or blue. This slide is Kodachrome. I only wish I had a better camera back then...........

Attachment 47588

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 PM

[quote=howdytwo;10271004]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
Hi, Dave Bob! The station sign-off that you mention (High Flight) was on KOOL.
Don't forget Aquanetta in those car ads! I lived on advertizing because my dad made a living in advertising and commercial art, Bill McKay. The Ad Club, The Advertizing League my folks were always going to some Ad event. Many were held at the Westward HO

Old 08-23-2009, 08:38 PM

Default Mountain Men

Quote:
Here it is, Bill Williams Mountain Men in the same parade 1959. Let me say something about film, I have shot all kinds of color slide and negative film and only Kodachrome still looks like the day it was developed. If I had only known back then that all the other film would fade badly and turn yellow, or red, or blue. This slide is Kodachrome. I only wish I had a better camera back then...........

Attachment 47588
OH Roosevelt, that is such a great photo. I was in the crowd for sure. My dad new them and had a lot to do with getting them down here for our parades. Sadly I never found a photo like that one. I found a post card with them on E-Bay and it is a treasure. Thankyou!

Old 08-23-2009, 09:04 PM

Default Oldies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuscat View Post
Got news for you folks as a native 1970s and 80s are not "old time"!
LOL Right you are but good memories and old memories to them for sure. Another 20 years and they will be old times and we will be pushin' daisies or blowin' in the wind. Wow the time sure flew by.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That's the one.

And thanks to those who brought up Roger Ramjet. I don't remember the dialog as clearly as you, but now I can't get the theme out of my head...."Roger Ramjet, he's our man, hero of our nation! For his adventures just be sure and stay tuned to this station!"
The other adult theater might hav e been the Rialto or the Strand

Old 08-23-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That's the one.

And thanks to those who brought up Roger Ramjet. I don't remember the dialog as clearly as you, but now I can't get the theme out of my head...."Roger Ramjet, he's our man, hero of our nation! For his adventures just be sure and stay tuned to this station!"
Quote:
A 'Flume' sounds like a giant water slide or a hiking trail but never heard of it before.

Here's another one I forgot about. the 3 wheel Davis car. When I was a kid, there was the remains of an old outdoor cement bowling alley in Phoenix, probably from the 1930's. They were demonstrating the 3 wheel Davis car at the site in 1948. They would drive that thing in tight circles to prove it would not tip over; you could hear the tires squealing for blocks. It was not a small car, it only had one seat but you could get 4 adults across in it.
My sister told me the Flume was a place the teens went in the 50s where water rushed along the canal and in one spot it went under a concrete bridge kind of and only the really brave ones would attempt it. They would jump in, hold there breath and the rushing water would shoot them out the other side after a bit. One of the reasons the city started covering the canals entirely.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:39 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,517,566 times
"only Kodachrome still looks like the day it was developed."

Kodachrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ansel Adams used Kodachrome for much of his color photography.

http://i.biblio.com/z/409/222/9780821222409.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-24-2009, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,249 times
Default Red Devil Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuscat View Post
my dad worked at the Aireasearch (when it was a good) company he used to bring us home stuff from Mag's Hambun.
Anyone remember Vito's Pizza ? Not sure if it was on MCDowell or maybe Vanburen around 24 street.
My father also worked at Garrett starting in the 50's and retired some 40 years later. I don't recall Vito's; however, Red Devil Pizza was in the neighborhood and you could watch the pizza chefs spinning pizza's through the front window. I remember a bar next door called "The Go Go Lounge". Just remembered that because we would pull into the parking lot for take out orders and their Neon sign was eye catching at my young age.

Couldn't forget the old AirResearch christmas party's though. Great times and always a gift and stocking at the end of the show!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area