Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 14,927 times

Advertisements

Tolleson Elementary School Unit 1 Grades K-3rd. Torn down.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-tolleson-elementary-unit-1-k-3rd  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 14,927 times
MZbl21 very nice photos. Thanks for contributing.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:22 AM

60 posts, read 142,869 times
The second photograph posted by mbzk21 was taken in the mid-1950s from in front of 1415 N. Central looking north.

Last edited by Applegate8; 07-30-2016 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-30-2016, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,918 times
Smile ...it started as a bank, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramay1970 View Post
It started as a bank if I remember right.

I haven't seen this question answered yet, so I'll throw my two cents in here.

I am assuming that this is in reference to the Souper Salad building at MetroCenter.

That indeed was a bank, or technically, a savings and loan. It was Western Savings.

I don't know all of their former locations, but they also had an office along 19th Avenue at Chris-Town (now a Bank of America 4755 N 19TH AVE) and the northeast corner of Central Avenue and Osborn.

Mike

Old 07-30-2016, 09:12 PM
BEJ

26 posts, read 60,900 times
Default It Has Been A While

My first Phoenix alma mater, Whittier Elementary --- Still in use although the buildings have changed somewhat and the student population is totally different. Still K-8 I believe. Lots of memories in them thar walls. Not sure when this pic was taken but, the front of the admin building looks the same. This view is facing 16th street (Palm Lane runs along the side).
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-whittier.jpg  

Old 08-01-2016, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,676 times
Default Who remembers Blow Out The Phones on KFYI?

Bob Mohan was the host and it was on every Friday afternoon at 3pm.

I don't know if it was his original creation but he claimed it was and it was a very popular radio show at the time. It was even called the most listened to hour in talk radio. I had it on almost every week from about 1992 to 1996 but then they switched Mohan's time to the evening and removed Blow Out The Phones from the lineup.

Some of the callers were bizarre as the host said, others were very creative with their poetry and songs. Early on there was an older fellow that called in as Herkimer the bard of Glendale and he recited poems about the current events, he was very clever.

Then other characters came on later who did impersonations of Curly from 3 Stooges, Catwoman from the Batman series, and I can't remember all the others but there became a slew of regular callers who were clever in their own right.

Shortly before the show went off the air there was another older gentleman who called in as Snowbird and he did little poems and songs poking fun at himself as a snowbird, they were really funny.

I'm no longer living in Phoenix and I'm not sure if KFYI still has Blow Out The Phones or if Mohan is still a host on that station, or if he's even still alive. I recall it being a good form of entertainment and I wanted to get some feedback from other people that might remember this show.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:26 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applegate8 View Post
The second photograph posted by mbzk21 was taken in the mid-1950s from in front of 1415 N. Central looking north.
How can you tell? I could see where maybe the building on the immediate right would be the Blue Fin restaurant today but I couldn't see the current Old Spaghetti Factory building so that is where I got confused. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-02-2016, 09:17 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy4210 View Post
I haven't seen this question answered yet, so I'll throw my two cents in here.

I am assuming that this is in reference to the Souper Salad building at MetroCenter.

That indeed was a bank, or technically, a savings and loan. It was Western Savings.

I don't know all of their former locations, but they also had an office along 19th Avenue at Chris-Town (now a Bank of America 4755 N 19TH AVE) and the northeast corner of Central Avenue and Osborn.

Mike

And at 20th St and Camelback. They had offices all over, actually. The first of the big "savings and loans".

Old 08-02-2016, 11:29 AM

60 posts, read 142,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
How can you tell? I could see where maybe the building on the immediate right would be the Blue Fin restaurant today but I couldn't see the current Old Spaghetti Factory building so that is where I got confused. Thanks in advance!
The Desert Belle Dress Shop was located at 1415 N. Central. Also, looking north you can see the stoplight at Central and McDowell (1600 N). The Old Spaghetti Factory, formerly The Spaghetti Company, is located across the street at 1418 N. Central.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:53 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud caucasian View Post
I'm no longer living in Phoenix and I'm not sure if KFYI still has Blow Out The Phones or if Mohan is still a host on that station, or if he's even still alive. I recall it being a good form of entertainment and I wanted to get some feedback from other people that might remember this show.
Mohan has been off the air since 2002. He was in the news a couple of years back after getting a kidney transplant.

I never liked his politics but enjoyed his delivery.

One man's act of faith, another man's lifeline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area